• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Have tongues ceased?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Have tongues ceased?

• Tongues have ceased
    • Tongues continue till Christ returns
    • Todays 'tongues' are spurious
    • Today's tongues are demonic

• Members

I agree with Happy Kevin. Those of use who are not IFB, though we don't have to compromise our own beliefs, should respect those of others. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't expose falsehoods, but it does mean that you should do so respectfully. Remember, we are strangers in a foreign land here and, when in Rome . . .

As a side note, I take issue with the term "Conservative Christian" as well. I am a Conservative Christian and I am not IFB. And ascribing certain views to all IFBs is rather difficult because there is no uniformity amongst them. One assembly can believe one thing and five miles down the road another assembly can believe the exact opposite. There is no unifying statement of faith or catechism on which to measure differing beliefs. Therefore, I don't think it is fair to lump them all together.

• Members

Yes, there is a measuring stick, its the Bible.

Rather, a personal interpretation thereof, wouldn't you agree? If not, then why are there so many different baptist churches? Why do some members run away and create a new church anytime something they don't like comes up?

• Members
I'm sorry if I misread your intentions, Kevin. But since you were quoting me, and only partially, I think it would be expected that I would assume you were speaking directly to me (most certainly the "knee-jerk reaction" was intended for me!).

As to the jabbing, my friend, you may not realize this, but you are most certainly making more and more derogative comments about IFB. You may not be IFB any longer, but you know the majority of us on this board are, and that in fact this is an IFB board. So, inuendos and little comments made to belittle IFB are taken personally. Think about that some, please. With all my heart I'm not saying that to make you angry or feel picked on. You need to expect people to disagree with you often here, since you are no longer IFB. But the IFB (and conservative Christian - simply a synonym for IFB) comments need to stop!

I wasn't actually referring to you with the knee-jerk part, either. It was just something I was thinking about at the time. Unless I actually say "you" or it's very OBvious I'm referring to you, I'm prOBably speaking in general terms. When it comes to discussions/debates, I try to keep the individual out of it because what one person thinks or feels doesn't really matter in a debate that's meant to discover truth or come to an unbiased conclusion.

Very well, I will try to be more careful in the future. I do think that it should go both ways, though. Just because I believe differently doesn't make me a heretic or ungodly/unsaved, as one member here suggested.

• Members

I agree with Happy Kevin. Those of use who are not IFB, though we don't have to compromise our own beliefs, should respect those of others. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't expose falsehoods, but it does mean that you should do so respectfully. Remember, we are strangers in a foreign land here and, when in Rome . . .

As a side note, I take issue with the term "Conservative Christian" as well. I am a Conservative Christian and I am not IFB. And ascribing certain views to all IFBs is rather difficult because there is no uniformity amongst them. One assembly can believe one thing and five miles down the road another assembly can believe the exact opposite. There is no unifying statement of faith or catechism on which to measure differing beliefs. Therefore, I don't think it is fair to lump them all together.

Yeah, I guess I'll prOBably have to agree with you. :wink

I certainly didn't mean to lump everyone together. What I was meaning was ultra-conservatism but I didn't want to offend anyone, which I kind of screwed up with that anyway but oh well. lol But you're right, a lot of people would prOBably consider me a conservative Christian, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I hoped from the details you provided maybe the friend had a copy of the service when the Nigerians interpreted. So far, most of the incidents I've heard of were non-verifiable hearsay.

Like the case of Todd Bentley a few months ago who claimed that 20 odd people had been raised from the dead while his TV ministry was on. All sent by email or telephone from places like Nigeria. Of course his "ministry" ended suddenly when his adultery was revealed.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

It's not good to put God in box. He can do anything He wants, when He wants. If that means that He inspires tongues of give gifts of those or prophecies, so be it. We have Him in a neat tight little package and don't allow Him to come out - so our faith is nothing more than a bunch of words on a page. The Bible, or our understanding of the Bible usurps the Holy Spirit. What, my friends did Christians do before they had their own copy of the bible for the first 17 centuries? For no one during those centuries could have private bible studies, could they?

• Members

It's not good to put God in box. He can do anything He wants, when He wants. If that means that He inspires tongues of give gifts of those or prophecies, so be it. We have Him in a neat tight little package and don't allow Him to come out - so our faith is nothing more than a bunch of words on a page. The Bible, or our understanding of the Bible usurps the Holy Spirit. What, my friends did Christians do before they had their own copy of the bible for the first 17 centuries? For no one during those centuries could have private bible studies, could they?

We didn't put God in a box; He put Himself there. Edited by amblivion

• Members

Bible copying was very important from ancient times. Israel's kings were required to make their own copies.
Monasteries had scriptoriums for Bible copying.
When Wycliffe's translation was made in the 14th C, so many copies were made that nearly 200 still exist.
Read Judges to see what happened when the Word was "precious" - not highly valued but rare.
We are required to test what the spirits say by the Word. Even the Holy Spirit is limited by the Word - why not? He inspired it.

1Sa 3:1 And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; [there was] no open vision.

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, [it is] because [there is] no light in them.

1Jo 4:1 ¶ Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.