• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Topics for a discipleship class . . .

• Members

Hello, I have been feeling the need in my church to offer a discipleship class. We offer a number of different small classes but alot of people still seem to not get the big picture of the Bible. I have been feeling the need lately for offering an "Introduction to the Bible" class. Possibly to be followed by an "old testament survey" and "new testament survey" class. The main thing I am wondering is what topics should I cover in the into to the Bible class.
I can use as many weeks as needed 6-13 or so. I am thinking of covering basic topics with a few advanced topics thrown in as rabbit trails from the basics. This is for those who are more mature in their faith. So far I am unsure which direction to head. Perhaps:
Bibliology - intro.
Canonization
Translation

with a number of sub topics under each. What do you recommend I include. What structure would you choose for such a class? Thanks for your help.

• Members

Start with God and who he is. Keep it simple and straightforward and Bible-centered.

Here's one very basic 13 week agenda:
Salvation
Assurance of Salvation
Public Profession
Ordinances of the church
Church Membership
The local church
Importance of God's Word
Prayer
Family Alter
Soul Winning
Stewardship
Faithfulness
What Sin does to the Christian

• Members

Salvation
Assurance of Salvation
Public Profession
Ordinances of the church
Church Membership
The local church
Importance of God's Word
Prayer
Family Alter
Soul Winning
Stewardship
Faithfulness

These are good topics but they overlap with a few other sections we offer. We have three classes (made for new members/believers) called Exploring the Faith 101, 201 and 301. I was thinking that this class would focus as an opener to OT survey and NT survey. I have also noticed over the years that many churches tend to avoid topics like canonization and so I thought that might be appropriate.

• Members
What structure would you choose for such a class?

What is the setting of this course-work? Is it in a church-run Bible institute or college? Is it in a setting where credits will be awarded?

When it comes to studying the Bible, it is best to approach it from a standpoint of being taught the things of God by the very Spirit of God. Extended intervals of simply reading God's word and prayerfully considering it's contents have proven to be beneficial in ways that far outweigh any amount of time spent in a classroom setting. The local body of believers have the responsibility of teaching as laid out in some of Paul's epistles and especially in Titus. The older are to teach the younger. Experience and wisdom gained from a relationship with God was, and still should be, considered extremely valuable-- even priceless.

I would try to structure a discipleship course around first establishing discipline with accountability in personal Bible study and prayerfulness. Without a total reliance upon God as demonstrated by one's desire for God's word, even more than one's necessary food, a Christian, regardless of his level of spiritual maturity, will cease to grow in the grace and knowledge of God.

• Members

Hello, I have been feeling the need in my church to offer a discipleship class. We offer a number of different small classes but alot of people still seem to not get the big picture of the Bible. I have been feeling the need lately for offering an "Introduction to the Bible" class. Possibly to be followed by an "old testament survey" and "new testament survey" class. The main thing I am wondering is what topics should I cover in the into to the Bible class.
I can use as many weeks as needed 6-13 or so. I am thinking of covering basic topics with a few advanced topics thrown in as rabbit trails from the basics. This is for those who are more mature in their faith. So far I am unsure which direction to head. Perhaps:
Bibliology - intro.
Canonization
Translation

with a number of sub topics under each. What do you recommend I include. What structure would you choose for such a class? Thanks for your help.

How about a survey of O.T. prophesy of Christ with a comparative N.T. fulfillment by Christ?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Salvation
Assurance of Salvation
Public Profession
Ordinances of the church
Church Membership
The local church
Importance of God's Word
Prayer
Family Alter
Soul Winning
Stewardship
Faithfulness

I agree with holster. You said you are wanting to offer a discipleship class. A disciple ship class is usually for "teaching them to OBserve all things whatsoever I (Jesus) have commanded you" (Matthew 28:20). I'm not sure translations and canonization are good topics for that type of class. You would want to focus on these much more basic topics that holster suggested.

If you wanted to offer a more advanced class, than translations/canonization would be great for that; but not for new/young believers. They need to focus on the "basics" and get them down. They need the milk before they get to the meat.

I applaud you for your desire in this. Discipleship is one thing that is greatly lacking in many churches and is the reason why we have such immature Christians who go from one doctrine/church to another.

• Members

I'm sorry, I just re-read your post and saw that you did mention this was for those more mature in their faith. I missed that and focused on the discipleship class part. I apologize for that!

Another good topic might be Bible study methods. There are many Christians who don't really know how to study their Bible.