Online Baptist Community

Evangelism as the Focus in the Assembly of Believers?

speerjp1

I have honestly never seen a skit at a normal sunday service, so I really can't picture how it would fit in (does the person giving the sermon announce, "and now to help you understand what I have said, some of our youth are going to put on a short skit?). However, I can definitely understand that it can be done so in a helpful and worthwhile manner.

Our pastor has done one of two things when we've had skits. They will have it right before he speaks or he'll call people up for volunteers and have them play a role. But our pastor isn't really a "normal" pastor anyway, everybody just calls him by his first name, he sits on a stool or walks around with his notes on a music stand while he speaks.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I wouldn't say this is the purpose of the lost coming to church, but here is a benefit:

Hebrews 6:4-5 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

A lost person is exposed and enlightened to the truth; with their family and friends they taste of the Heavenly gift and are made partakers (to a limited extent) of the Holy Ghost, given a taste of the promises in the Word of God; and see the power of the Word of God and the presence of God (some of what believers would see in the Millenium - the world to come) at work in believers' lives as they see the Lord answer their prayers.

The Bible is pretty clear in various places that the Lord blesses the houses of believers - even if there is only one believer there - due to the faithfulness of one believer. We see this in Joseph's life, and in other places. The lost person will see these benefits and blessings by God because of their exposure to true Christians - whether by dwelling with them or being with them when they gather with other believers.

With at least one believer in a marriage, that dwelling - that family - is set apart (sanctified) for the Lord's use to some extent.

1 Corinthians 7:12-14 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Malachi 2:15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.

Genesis 39:5 And it came to pass from the time that he had made him overseer in his house, and over all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field.

Proverbs 3:33 The curse of the LORD is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just.

Proverbs 14:11 The house of the wicked shall be overthrown: but the tabernacle of the upright shall flourish.