• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Evangelism as the Focus in the Assembly of Believers?

• Members

s the lost person's exposure to the Bible limited to 15 minutes outside the church because of us? Are we too busy to care for the lost?>>> sometimes these lost are busy for us. They say, sorry, I have to go. (they have work, dinner, afterschool, etc. to worry about)

When we serve people and meet their needs, they will want to know what's different about us that causes us to give of ourselves for them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

St. Francis of Assisi was famous for saying "Preach the Gospel. Use words when necessary."

The Bible says: "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?"

Lifestyle evangelism is not commanded in the Bible. Living lives of holiness is. Preaching the gospel is. One isn't better than the other neither can one replace the other. Anything less is disOBedience.

I thought we were talking about witnessing. Would you not agree that "witnessing" and "preaching" are two different Christian responsibilities? To me, when we take on our roles as preachers, it seems the main purpose is to instruct. It seems more appropriate for those who, although they may not yet be a Christian, have at least some understanding of the Gospel and are eager/willing to hear more. On the other hand, witnessing seems more like our own personal introduction of a lost person to Christ. And I believe that our lifestyle is essential to this purpose.

• Members

When we serve people and meet their needs, they will want to know what's different about us that causes us to give of ourselves for them.

These days, people are not people-person (especially in the computer generation where isolation is becoming a prOBlem). They are quite afraid of inviting people in. But they feel ok coming to church. The only people that let me talk are my friends and family.

• Members
I thought we were talking about witnessing. Would you not agree that "witnessing" and "preaching" are two different Christian responsibilities? To me, when we take on our roles as preachers, it seems the main purpose is to instruct. It seems more appropriate for those who, although they may not yet be a Christian, have at least some understanding of the Gospel and are eager/willing to hear more. On the other hand, witnessing seems more like our own personal introduction of a lost person to Christ. And I believe that our lifestyle is essential to this purpose.

We are talking about evangelizing the lost, which includes both witnessing and preaching; both of which include the gospel.

I am familiar with the difference in the terms, but not with a difference in their importance. Both are commanded. Both are necessary. Both should be done... A LOT. :thumb:

One thing to be careful of is ascribing our modernized view of what we think our responsibilities to God and man are to the Bible. A simple, clear reading of God's word will bear out the truth of those responsibilities.

• Members

yeah, people told me not to preach to them LOL and all i was doing was witnessing.

Well, there you go.............IFB's go on for pages and pages about what is preaching vs. evangelism and how to carry it out and when, but the unsaved have no trouble at all recognizing good preaching when they hear it! :hide:

• Members

s the lost person's exposure to the Bible limited to 15 minutes outside the church because of us? Are we too busy to care for the lost?>>> sometimes these lost are busy for us. They say, sorry, I have to go. (they have work, dinner, afterschool, etc. to worry about)

Right on, most lost people do not want to hear it. I've found by experience, if you hark on it, them they will avoid you and you will not ever have another opportunity with them.

With a lost person you have to be careful, or you will drive them away. If we can handle the situation properly we can throw in bits and pieces without driving them away. That is something we have to use godly wisdom on, and with each lost person it can vary.

I know of one pastor of which many lost people avoid like the plague, for he harks on them the moment he confronts them, where ever it is. They hate to see him coming.