• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Wine Good for You?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, I'd understood that the biblical prohibition was against drunkenness, not against drinking wine itself?

Dwayne, there may be some value to the alcohol (there is some use for alcohol in illnesses like pneumonia), but to drink it for leisure is not to drink it for health. Most of those who claim the health benefits really just want to drink it. And believe me, I've heard that claim over and over - not just from Christians, but from the lost as well.

• Members

I don't buy the "wine in the Bible was actually water and a little bit of wine" argument. It doesn't make sense historically or Biblically. Look up the history of wine and see if there is anyone out there except ultra-conservative Christians who would make that same argument.

If wine was actually 8 parts water, there would be no reason to warn against it. You couldn't get drunk if you tried. You would be dead of taking in too much water before you would get drunk. Why would Paul warn against bishops being drinkers of "much wine" if you couldn't get drunk off of it? "Bishops shouldn't be drinkers of much wine because they'll spend too much time in the bathroom instead of serving the church." :wink

Instead, wine mixed with water was seen as impurity in the Bible. Take a look at Isaiah 1:22:
Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water.

• Administrators

I don't drink it for the health benefits, though I appreciate what it can give me. Soda doesn't have any health benefits but we drink that, as well.
I was more or less looking for feedback on that article but, oh well. lol

I think it is healthy, however, to drink a glass of red wine in the evenings. It has numerous health benefits, including settling down an upset stomach(usually digestion-related) like Paul told Timothy in the NT. Grape juice doesn't have the same effect. I've thrown up after drinking grape juice on an upset stomach, trust me. :frog:
My mom doesn't like wine, at all, and will almost never drink it. She will take a sip if her stomach is very upset, though, cause it really helps to settle it down.

Wine, like most things, can be healthy if taken in moderation but can be destructive if abused.

Hmmm - this from the fellow who used to say he wouldn't drink 'cause the Bible says it's not wise....

If my stomch is upset, I use pepto-bismal (and if it's digestion related, there's lots of stuff out there that is healthy - like pineapple - that helps ease digestion prOBlems). No need for wine, small sips or no. And I don't drink soda, either. But soda doesn't intoxicate. Wine does.

@Jason - yes, the Bible does prohibit drunkenness. But it also forbids other things that can result from drinking - like adultery, brawling, etc. - and one doesn't have to be drunk to have inhibitions lowered to the point where one gets involved in wrongdoing. I know this from my own experiences in life - through family members, friends and even myself. Drinking alcohol is not wise, whatever form it is in, done for leisure. With the excuse of health.

• Members
Hmmm - this from the fellow who used to say he wouldn't drink 'cause the Bible says it's not wise....

To be perfectly honest, that came more out of fear than out of real conviction. I was brought up my whole life in IFB churches where any form of alcohol was railed on as being from the Devil and how one drink will make you a drunk. So even though I never thought it was wrong(after I studied it out for myself), I was still too afraid to try it and feared that my friends who had wine would become drunks.

Well, guess what, I have a lot of friends who drink wine, as well as beer, and none of them are drunks. Now I can enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings or a glass of beer with my friends at dinner and not feel afraid of it. I've never been drunk and don't have any intention of becoming so.

If my stomch is upset, I use pepto-bismal (and if it's digestion related, there's lots of stuff out there that is healthy - like pineapple - that helps ease digestion prOBlems). No need for wine, small sips or no. And I don't drink soda, either. But soda doesn't intoxicate. Wine does.

That's great, it's a shame Timothy didn't have any pepto-bismal. :frog:

• Administrators

To be perfectly honest, that came more out of fear than out of real conviction. I was brought up my whole life in IFB churches where any form of alcohol was railed on as being from the Devil and how one drink will make you a drunk. So even though I never thought it was wrong(after I studied it out for myself), I was still too afraid to try it and feared that my friends who had wine would become drunks.

Well, guess what, I have a lot of friends who drink wine, as well as beer, and none of them are drunks. Now I can enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings or a glass of beer with my friends at dinner and not feel afraid of it. I've never been drunk and don't have any intention of becoming so.

That's great, it's a shame Timothy didn't have any pepto-bismal. :frog:

The wine Timothy drank didn't have alcohol added to it. :bleh: Study it out, Kev.

Well, when you made the comment that you wouldn't drink, you were defending those who do...and after you were no longer IFB!

• Members
The wine Timothy drank didn't have alcohol added to it. :bleh: Study it out, Kev.

lol. I did. May I suggest you study it from a non-IFB point of view? :saint2:

Never trust someone who has an agenda.

Well, when you made the comment that you wouldn't drink, you were defending those who do...and after you were no longer IFB!

Yes, I was. I never saw a prOBlem with moderate drinking, but it scared me. When you're raised with things, sometimes it's hard to shake them off, even if you know differently.

• Members

We don't know what stomach prOBlem Timothy had! Alcohol would have made an ulcer worse. But grape juice can sure regulate your digestive system!

Wonder where Timothy would've gotten fresh grape juice. Must've had a vat out in his backyard to stomp on when he was thirsty. :bleh:

• Administrators

lol. I did. May I suggest you study it from a non-IFB point of view? :saint2:I have, Kevin. I've also studied what history says.

Never trust someone who has an agenda. I don't. Except Christ. He had an agenda that I can agree with. :thumb:

Yes, I was. I never saw a prOBlem with moderate drinking, but it scared me. When you're raised with things, sometimes it's hard to shake them off, even if you know differently. I wasn't raised being taught there was a prOBlem with moderate drinking, Kevin. I was raised, until I was about 10, in a home where "moderate" drinking was practiced. We were not IFB until I was 10 or so, but it wasn't because of becoming IFB that the drinking in our home stopped. It was because of what happened to my dad when he drank "moderately." One beer was all it took - and I'll go into no more details, because things weren't pretty. No thanks. Drinking alcohol in any form for pleasure is unwise. One can say all they want that one drink doesn't hurt. But that isn't true. All alcohol ingested affects the brain.

And Suzy was right on the money when she said alcohol hurts ulcers. We don't know what Timothy's prOBlem was - ulcer or digestive. But I highly doubt that the wine he drank was of the alcohol percentage it is today. (and just how do you know he didn't grow his own grapes??? :lol::lol:

(BTW, Kevin, I know we don't agree on a number of things, but it's good to see you active on here again!)

• Members
I don't. Except Christ. He had an agenda that I can agree with.

lol. I'll agree with you on that one. :thumb:

I wasn't raised being taught there was a prOBlem with moderate drinking, Kevin. I was raised, until I was about 10, in a home where "moderate" drinking was practiced. We were not IFB until I was 10 or so, but it wasn't because of becoming IFB that the drinking in our home stopped. It was because of what happened to my dad when he drank "moderately." One beer was all it took - and I'll go into no more details, because things weren't pretty. No thanks. Drinking alcohol in any form for pleasure is unwise. One can say all they want that one drink doesn't hurt. But that isn't true. All alcohol ingested affects the brain.

That is a very good reason not to drink and I think there are definitely some people who can't handle it in any dosage. For some people, one beer has no effect at all. They are only about 3% alcohol, after all.

And Suzy was right on the money when she said alcohol hurts ulcers. We don't know what Timothy's prOBlem was - ulcer or digestive. But I highly doubt that the wine he drank was of the alcohol percentage it is today. (and just how do you know he didn't grow his own grapes???

lol. I guess it's possible but not likely that he could squeeze out fresh juice whenever the urge hit him. :coolsmiley:

I'm assuming it must not have been an ulcer because Paul wouldn't have recommended wine. Grape juice isn't good for an ulcer either. :icon_smile:
I don't know what percentage of alcohol content the wine had back then. I imagine it would've been something similar to what is drunk in Italy in modern times where you don't have good tap water. They are able to drink it on a regular basis instead of water without feeling the negative effects, mostly because one's body becomes used to the alcohol content in the blood.

I have a friend who took a historical trip to Israel and was there for a while and he said that based on what he learned while there, he would assume that their wine was similar in alcohol content to what we have here.

(BTW, Kevin, I know we don't agree on a number of things, but it's good to see you active on here again!)

Thanks! :icon_smile:

• Members

Amazing what the liquor business will claim to get people to buy their products, many will fall for it, even many Christians, they rather trust man, than God, the old devil is very sneaky. If the old devil can get many well meaning Christians to fall for it, they will be many who will be influence by them and wine will be their downfall destroying their life and their families.

Pr 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

Pr 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

Gregg your right, its destroyed many families, and sad to say many Christians will let the stuff flow down their throats while their influence will be leading some to destruction.

• Members

Amazing what the liquor business will claim to get people to buy their products, many will fall for it, even many Christians, they rather trust man, than God, the old devil is very sneaky. If the old devil can get many well meaning Christians to fall for it, they will be many who will be influence by them and wine will be their downfall destroying their life and their families.

Pr 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

Pr 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

Gregg your right, its destroyed many families, and sad to say many Christians will let the stuff flow down their throats while their influence will be leading some to destruction.

Instead of just using Proverbs, could you post all the verses in the NT that talk about wine and explain them?