• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Wine Good for You?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I put maybe because I believe it depends. The wine talked about in the Bible was not bad for them if taken in moderation. It did not have all the extras our wine has today however. Anyways here is an article I found.

http://chetday.com/healthywine.htm

• Administrators

The thing in wine that is healthy for people is the antioxidant content. But as I've told people who try to say that they must have a glass of wine a day for their heart - grape juice will do the same thing. And with grape juice, there isn't the alcohol content that can harm the liver, kill brain cells and eat the stomach lining.

The Bible tells us in Proverbs not to look on wine when it gives its color in the cup, when it moves itself aright. Anyone who has been involved in the home production of wine knows that the color (even white wine has color for those who know what they are looking for) reaches a certain point, and the "mother" moves (it actually looks like it's alive and swimming) when the wine is fermented. Perhaps people don't want to accept those verses in Proverbs as prohibition, but wisdom dictates that it's better to avoid.

• Members

There is no debate! Again.. talk to any family who has been destroyed by drinking. Talk to the drunk who has lost everything!

I have had to counsel families who are losing everything due to "wine." It breaks my heart. Small children watching "daddy" so deep in sin!

STAY AWAY FROM WINE. You mock God if you drink it! Even a "little glass!"

• Members

Holster, Kevin's point is valid. Just because something can lead to destruction does not mean it is sin. Any number of things can lead to destruction (women, cars, Internet, etc. etc.) but are not sinful in their own right.

@happy, there is some value to the alcohol (as the article points out) beyond the antioxidants, so grape juice is not a 1 for 1 replacement health wise.

Me, I do not care if someone enjoys a brew every now and then, but it is a rarity for me because it is so ridiculously expensive.

• Administrators

Holster, Kevin's point is valid. Just because something can lead to destruction does not mean it is sin. Any number of things can lead to destruction (women, cars, Internet, etc. etc.) but are not sinful in their own right.

@happy, there is some value to the alcohol (as the article points out) beyond the antioxidants, so grape juice is not a 1 for 1 replacement health wise.

Me, I do not care if someone enjoys a brew every now and then, but it is a rarity for me because it is so ridiculously expensive.

Dwayne, there may be some value to the alcohol (there is some use for alcohol in illnesses like pneumonia), but to drink it for leisure is not to drink it for health. Most of those who claim the health benefits really just want to drink it. And believe me, I've heard that claim over and over - not just from Christians, but from the lost as well.

• Members

Small amounts can be healthy but God says not to drink it because He knows where it takes you!!!!! So we should trust God over the health experts. There are so many other things to use that are also good for you. My dr recently told me that small amounts of red wine will help my cholesterol...however he also told me almonds would as well! I don't HAVE to take red wine.

Anyway its not good for my christian testimony. In my cake business many people use vodka for painting. It would not be wrong for me to use it. However it would hurt my testimony to be seen buying it.

• Members

I don't drink it for the health benefits, though I appreciate what it can give me. Soda doesn't have any health benefits but we drink that, as well.
I was more or less looking for feedback on that article but, oh well. lol

I think it is healthy, however, to drink a glass of red wine in the evenings. It has numerous health benefits, including settling down an upset stomach(usually digestion-related) like Paul told Timothy in the NT. Grape juice doesn't have the same effect. I've thrown up after drinking grape juice on an upset stomach, trust me. :frog:
My mom doesn't like wine, at all, and will almost never drink it. She will take a sip if her stomach is very upset, though, cause it really helps to settle it down.

Wine, like most things, can be healthy if taken in moderation but can be destructive if abused.