• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

six fingers and six toes - thoughts?

• Members
On 4/11/2020 at 6:54 AM, OLD fashioned preacher said:

The OP has 2 Sam 21:20 in the posting. He utilized the King James, as is within the forum guidelines. Any particular reason for putting the passage up (as an entire post, no less) in the HCSB, in violation of site rules?

2 Samuel 21:16  NKJV

Then Ishbi-Benob, who was one of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose bronze spear was three hundred shekels, who was bearing a new sword, thought he could kill David.

2 Samuel 21:20  Yet again there was war at Gath, where there was a man of great stature, who had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot, twenty-four in number; and he also was born to the giant.

2 Samuel 21:22

These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=giant&qs_version=NK

? > No difference, so why  your objection? ?

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Korz said:

2? > No difference, so why  your objection? ?

That was answered in my first post, the rules for posting on Online Baptist stipulated that ALL Scripture is to be King James (irregardless of what you generally use)

• Members
2 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

That was answered in my first post, the rules for posting on Online Baptist stipulated that ALL Scripture is to be King James (irregardless of what you generally use)

What ever, Okay.?

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Korz said:

What ever, Okay.?

I get you're new here, but there are rules, and they are for a purpose. It isn't difficult, and it isn't overbearing: We use the King James Bible version for our quotes. If you don't like the rule, feel free not to post. 

Now, if the OP is concerning, perhaps, discussion of version differences, of course then it would be appropriate to show the variations. But for general quoting, please follow guidelines and use King James. Thank you.

• Moderators

I do not suspect this to have been a genetic deformity, per se, these being 'born of the giant'. Most people with actual gigantism tend to be strong, but fairly slow and ungainly. Consider Andre the Giant, who, when young, was pretty quick, but even while still relatively young, began to have knee and back issues so severe it hindered basic daily activities.  My thought has always been that once, ALL humans were basically giants, and seeing as we lived to be over 900 years at one time, it would make sense that we would grow larger, especially in a perfect environment, much as we see with various species of animals pre-flood, like giant sloths, giant rhinos, and other very large animals. So it may be in ALL our genes. As the world has changed, the environment, the oxygen amounts and air pressure, our bodies ability to grow large has changed, and those people who do get large, their bodies can't handle it. Once, with higher oxygen levels, there were dinosaurs that grow 90 ft long, but breathed through nostrils the size of a horse's, which would not allow them to live today.

So perhaps the conditions were still good enough that these people could just naturally still be very large, in whole family groups, but we cannot now. 

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 12/1/2009 at 11:01 AM, holster said:

2Sa 21:20* And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.

Comments on the six fingers and six toes? Significance?

No significance in the way you seem to be reaching for, or hoping for maybe ?

It is common in the last century even to be born with one or more extra fingers or toes.

It is even fairly common to be born with a hole in the heart (it usually heals naturally within a few months,  UNless the doctors get to do surgery,  in ignorance and/or greed).

I haven't yet read the other posts/replies.   I might or might not,  doesn't matter.