• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Good KJV Bible for a new Christian?

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Hi BaptistLady02,

I have bought cases of The Defined KJV and given them away.  I think they are very helpful for new Christians and for those whose second language is English.  There are some negatives:  There are errors in them (though not in the actual Bible text that I have found, but in the footnotes).  I also have found that there are quite a few cases where difficult to understand words are not defined while easily understood words are.  The last time I ordered them the shipping cost was extremely high.  Still, a very valuable type of Bible.

My main KJV Bible that I use was ordered from Local Church Bible Publishers:

Local Church Bible Publishers | A ministry of Parker Memorial Baptist Church

They sell their Bibles at their cost because this is a ministry of a local church, rather than a business.- I always give a love offering.

I like the wide margin.  The center column cross references are almost indispensable to me. I personally avoid Bibles with Scofield reference notes because some of his comments are sympathetic to the Wescott and Hort text (which is the basis for the modern versions which I am convinced are full of errors).  In my opinion these notes can cause new believers to doubt the faithfulness of the Bible that they hold in their hand - a very serious problem in my mind.

They don't appear to make the one that I bought anymore but the following one is similar:

123E1B RL Mid Size Text Wide Margin Center Column Reference “Red Letter”

They have lots of other options including very inexpensive vinyl covered Bibles which I have bought in the past to give to homeless people and others.

Hope that helps.

Brother Bruce

Edited by BibleBruce
Basic clarification.