• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jesus freaks

• Members

What is a Jesus freak? I've heard different definitions of what a Jesus Freak is, ranging from extremely negative (although I don't see how that's possible) to extremely positive. Some of my co-workers have called me a Jesus freak because I'm always talking about Jesus, am part of a ministry that I'm too excited about, sing worship songs all day long, and have told my friends that I would have no prOBlem laying my life down for the Lord. What exactly is a Jesus Freak, and are there any Jesus freaks here? :D

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Wikipedia was the first place I checked and I don't agree with their definition as with many of the info found on wiki. The way modern day Christianity is...I wouldn't be surprised if one day wiki would give Christianity a negative slant. I have other sources that such as how society and culture has re-defined the meaning of the term "Jesus freak." My co-workers even disagreed with Wickipedia's definition of Jesus freak.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I think if you asked "traditional" Baptists most all would have a "negative" attitude towars "jesus freak." Especially people my age (57). I was in college in the early 70's and a "jesus freak" was a "hippy" who claimed Christ. But they still lived and acted like a "hippy." Why would you even want to "dabble" with the phrase?

• Members

I think if you asked "traditional" Baptists most all would have a "negative" attitude towars "jesus freak." Especially people my age (57). I was in college in the early 70's and a "jesus freak" was a "hippy" who claimed Christ. But they still lived and acted like a "hippy." Why would you even want to "dabble" with the phrase?

So true Gregg, and Jesus Freaks are mostly a bunch of hippies with their onw view of what the Bible teaches.

And Madeline, I don't rely on Wikipedia either, but they got right close on what Jesus Freaks are, that is why I posted it.

• Members

From personal experience...I've seen the term referred to a person in a derrogatory way. That is, used describing a person who attended church regularly and lived (at least appeared to live) a live for Christ.

example:
He/she is a Bible thumping Jesus freak. However, that was small town away from the "hippie headliners."

So, I suppose it would have depended on your environment and demographics as to how it was used. I'm 56 and grew up far from the Haight-Ashburys of the 60s but close to the corn stalks of rural America.

• Members

This is a very enlightening thread. I did not know why Jesus Freaks had a bad conotation until just now. I just knew people told me not to use the term because it was not edifying, so I did not.

I would say when the younger crowd says it; it does not mean that. It means someone that is sold out for Jesus. Someone that gives their all. I wonder if D.C. talk helped change is connotation. They had a song called Jesus Freak. I would not suggest going and listening to the song.