• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dr. James Dobson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Myers-Briggs Type Indicators and Strong Interest Inventory have been used for years in the work place for determining employee behavioral styles and what jOB would interest them most. While I don't think they are 100%, there is much there that is beneficial. That would be a type of psychology being used in a practical way that really has nothing to do with trying to "exorcise" a person's sins, etc.

• Members

I sure would agree with that. I believe that the majority of mental health issues in America are related to spiritual prOBlems. Medication may control those mental health issues to a point, but often times it is treating the symptoms and not the cause and sometimes that makes things even worse. There is a reason why larger and larger numbers of Americans are having mental health issues. Science itself has been finding out that some of the best things you can do to maintain mental health is to just be kind and do right while knowingly doing wrong has the reverse effect. There is a reason why so many people in the jails have or develop mental health issues, it is a common symptom of the choices they have made. That is what the bible teaches too:

"Proverbs 3:7-8 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones."

"Proverbs 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh."

Good post Seth.

• Members

OBviously this thread is hi-jacked (which I think is great and carrying a good topic of discussion), but I want to point out that with everything that God has made, men will use it to do evil. That said, just because men have used something for evil does not make that thing evil. The reality is that God designed something very good in us and we use it every day if we are even the least bit successful in our jOBs, our relationships, our child rearing, and our being a witness. Psychology is something that is and will be a part of our lives and can either be used for good by understanding and applying it or for bad by foolishly discarding it and pretending it doesn't exist by God's design or by studying it for the intended use of deception and manipulation. Understanding how we feel and think and react and learning how to recognize and overcome our psychological weaknesses through the Lord's teaching is key to becoming better and stronger Christians. It has nothing to do with a "feel good" "I can do anything in and of myself" attitude. It's about learning and growing in the Lord through understanding where we are and where He wants us to be. Also, understanding our past can only aide us in maturing in the future. Just as understanding the beginning and the Law and the prophets only helps us more to understand our Lord and Savior and what He did for us.

God Bless,

Futurehope

• Members

Myers-Briggs Type Indicators and Strong Interest Inventory have been used for years in the work place for determining employee behavioral styles and what jOB would interest them most. While I don't think they are 100%, there is much there that is beneficial. That would be a type of psychology being used in a practical way that really has nothing to do with trying to "exorcise" a person's sins, etc.

I agree. I love taking those tests. :frog:

I've never heard of psychology meant to exorcise a person's sins, though I know a lot of psychologists are very humanistic in their views but that comes with the humanizing of our culture. There are certainly good Christian psychologists out there that use the principals of the Bible in coincidence with the medical/scientific principles of psychology. Not really much different than what Answers in Genesis does with the evolution/creationism debate.

• Members

When the cripple was lowered down thru the roof to have Jesus see him. It say's there in scripture the man was healed by the Faith OF his Friend's. So, Paul wasn't healed for lack of faith? We know this wasn't the case because the Lord Jesus told us so! Sometimes 100% of depending on Christ involves our doing what He tell's us to do! Can you see that? Taking medication's just to be able to walk, swallow and write. Some christian's would say having to do so is a lack of faith in Christ being our all sufficient one. I see in taking these medication's that a Christian is trusting the Lord to work thru medicine to help His children. He gave man the knowledge!! Would you not go to the ER if you thought you were having a cardiac arrest?? If you would ,then by your diffinition your lacking in faith in the Lord?! If you don't agree then please explain. :icon_pray:In Christ. His by Grace

I've got no prOBlem with a person going to their PCP and taking medication that he prescribes, but I am not fond of the mind altering drugs given by psychologist, I've seen many of them given to my sister over the years and the side effects it has given her that are not reversible. I think that in cases like her, the use of these drugs over years has prOBably made her worse than what she would be if she had never taken them. I've made this know to several psychologist over the past few years, strange, a couple of them agreed with me but stated we were at a point to take her off of them would even make her worse.

• Members

Jerry8#######, I can understand where your coming from with your sister. I am so so sorry this has led to her having what sound to be bad side affects. Am I understanding that right? She recieved those "mind altering" med's from a psycologist. Have you ever given any thought to not only psycologist give "mind altering" medication's but so do Physicians in the Field of Neurology? Many diseases of the brain fall under their care and they do perscribe "mind altering" medication's. Would you feel the same about their perscribing medications? If this would be different then why? I'm trying to see how your viewing this! in Christ, His by Grace

I've got no prOBlem with a person going to their PCP and taking medication that he prescribes, but I am not fond of the mind altering drugs given by psychologist, I've seen many of them given to my sister over the years and the side effects it has given her that are not reversible. I think that in cases like her, the use of these drugs over years has prOBably made her worse than what she would be if she had never taken them. I've made this know to several psychologist over the past few years, strange, a couple of them agreed with me but stated we were at a point to take her off of them would even make her worse.