• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dr. James Dobson

• Members

I don't think it work that way.

if a atheist teach that the bible says adultery is wrong, then he is telling the truth (but we have to be wary of people who attack the bible). But if a christian says the bible does not say adultery is wrong, then he is wrong. Him being a christian doesn't make adultery godly.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You CANNOT make something ungodly just because a professing atheist teaches it or because a little bit of sexual perversion was thrown into it.

Actually, that WOULD make it ungodly by definition!!

• Members

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the late Adrian Rogers. This week, I bring up Dr. James DOBson (known by his friends as "Jim"). He has been hailed as a great christian and psychologist both seperately and coupled in service to Christ. He is one of the most publicly (among both christians and non-christians) known christian speakers and writers and has been praised for his knowledge, wisdom, and insight with family matters. Dr. DOBson has also been ridiculed for being liberally passive on many topics to include his view of the christian home and salvation. Many "fundamentalists" have labeled him as a worker of iniquity and a liberalist. Most recently, Dr. DOBson announced on his radio show, Focus On the Family that he was resigning from his position with the huge ministry which he founded and was not real detailed on where he felt his next calling was. What are your thoughts on Dr. James DOBson, his ministry past and present, and where you think he is headed? Do you like or dislike his teaching and do you support him?

I look forward to your responses and God bless to all. Please be respectful not only towards the person of topic, but also the other posters on this thread.

God Bless,

Futurehope

Just like with Graham he has done a lot of good but his comprimises have done some harm also. But that is between him and God.

• Members

A certain psychologist may add some Biblical things into what he practices or teaches - but psychology itself is unbiblical. Freud was a sexual pervert and Jung was into the occult and got some of his beliefs/practices from a demon.

You CANNOT make something ungodly into something Godly or "Christian" just because a professing Christian teaches it, or because a little bit of Bible/Christianity was thrown in. You don't make Dungeons and Dragons "Christian" by adding Christian words or characters - the same goes here: you don't make psychology Christian by adding a Christian or some aspect of Christianity to the mix.

Jerry,

I am curious where you draw this conclusion that psychology is unbiblical. Please explain, as psychology is no different than studying medicine or studying biology, physics, geology, or a number of other God-given and Creator-based studies. What it seems to me is that you lack understanding in the area of psychology, so you label it as ungodly. I think that is what I am seeing here and I think it is a huge mistake. Maybe you simply don't understand what psychology is, but please look at the definition in my previous post before you respond and please give me some sort of biblical basis for why you believe psychology is unbiblical as maybe one or both of us can grow in this area of understanding, as I am certainly willing to learn and grow where I lack understanding.

Thanks and God Bless,

Futurehope

• Members

Jerry,

I am curious where you draw this conclusion that psychology is unbiblical. Please explain, as psychology is no different than studying medicine or studying biology, physics, geology, or a number of other God-given and Creator-based studies. What it seems to me is that you lack understanding in the area of psychology, so you label it as ungodly. I think that is what I am seeing here and I think it is a huge mistake. Maybe you simply don't understand what psychology is, but please look at the definition in my previous post before you respond and please give me some sort of biblical basis for why you believe psychology is unbiblical as maybe one or both of us can grow in this area of understanding, as I am certainly willing to learn and grow where I lack understanding.

Thanks and God Bless,

Futurehope

:goodpost:

• Members

Jerry,

Thanks and God Bless,

Futurehope

Bump....................hoping to get a response for some clarity from Jerry. That aside though, I would certainly like to hear what others think about DOBson according to the questions posed in the OP. God Bless.

• Members

I hope it's alright for me to comment on psycology topic that has been spoken of here. All psycology IS NOT the same. There are many different approaches not just non-christian and christian. That is over simplifying to the utmost. Psycology deals with how a person percieves and reacts to the world around them. As well as stating that how we relate to and react to one another is all intertwined. While this is very basic... I think we can see then how a "real, born-again Christian" Psycologist would treat their patient's differently. Pointing the way to... Not depending on yourself but on The Lord's Word ALL the time as THE ANSWER. Calling patient's to forgive as Christ forgave you. Doesn't matter what the other person ever does to try and make anything right or how they ever treat you. We are called to forgive and do as Christ has told US! Stressing that memorizing scripture is important especially verse's dealing with why patient is being seen. Alway's willing and bring up the need to pray with their patient's in closing of a session and over the phone. Stressing your relationship with the Lord as the true and lasting answer. While Christian psycologist do deal with trying to lead you to see what you may not be aware of in your life they do so pointing to The Lord as The Way, The Truth and The Life. If a psycologist call's themselves a "Christian Psycologist" and isn't dealing with a patient as such they aren't really a "Christian Psycologist" Plus, when they are a Christian Psycologist they will have no prOBlem if you ask them if they are Baptist, Their salvation testimony etc. Upset?? Then you need to personnally research if what I have said is true. I will not hide under a chair over what I have posted above. Abiding in Christ while He hold's on to me! His by Grace

• Members

Jerry 8#######, I read where you sent me. For me that is not what christian psycology is all about! Those are wordly ...Come on Schuller???...non-christian psycology posing as Christian psycology that I've been exposed to. The only part I didn't understand your being upset about was almost the last paragraph where it was said if a person is bitter about God basically having things be the way they are in their life then they need to forgive Him. My understanding of that comment is that they need to realize they are wrong not The Lord. You didn't seem to take that as such. What made you call that blaspheme? His by Grace

An article, Is "Christian Psychology"Christian?

http://www.outsidethecamp.org/xnpsych.htm

For most of them its all about self help, how good you are, how much you should think of your self.

• Members

An article, Is "Christian Psychology"Christian?

http://www.outsidethecamp.org/xnpsych.htm

For most of them its all about self help, how good you are, how much you should think of your self.

This article is so perversed by an individual with personal agendas and hatred towards other christians he will conjure up any kind of disgusting commentary he can to tear them down. His understanding of psychology and the psychology presented in and by the bible is about as deep as OBama's understanding on how to rightly lead a nation and how to be a christian. But hey, we all have free speech for now, even if it is simply used to polute the air with phalical comments of extreme measures.

• Members

Psychology is more about self help, feeling real good about ones self, self strength, your a great person, and face it Schuller has had a big impact on Christens accepting psychology. His little books have showed up in the mail box of many households, even many Baptist are very accepting of his teachings, and reads his books faithfully.

Now, there are a few, but very few, Christian Psychologist out there who totaly use the Bible and leave man's teachings out of it. Any time you mix mans Psychology teachings with the Bible you come up with less than God's truth.