• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dr. James Dobson

• Members

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the late Adrian Rogers. This week, I bring up Dr. James DOBson (known by his friends as "Jim"). He has been hailed as a great christian and psychologist both seperately and coupled in service to Christ. He is one of the most publicly (among both christians and non-christians) known christian speakers and writers and has been praised for his knowledge, wisdom, and insight with family matters. Dr. DOBson has also been ridiculed for being liberally passive on many topics to include his view of the christian home and salvation. Many "fundamentalists" have labeled him as a worker of iniquity and a liberalist. Most recently, Dr. DOBson announced on his radio show, Focus On the Family that he was resigning from his position with the huge ministry which he founded and was not real detailed on where he felt his next calling was. What are your thoughts on Dr. James DOBson, his ministry past and present, and where you think he is headed? Do you like or dislike his teaching and do you support him?

I look forward to your responses and God bless to all. Please be respectful not only towards the person of topic, but also the other posters on this thread.

God Bless,

Futurehope

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Dr. DOBson is not a preacher and never claimed to be and therefore I don't hold that he should be subject to the same scrutiny. I will say he has done much work for Christ and against the world's system as it pertains to abortion, child rearing and secular humanism.

Is he perfect no; but I believe he will be in glory praising the Lord along with me.

• Members

James DOBson is pretty ecumenical, working closely with Catholics - and he promotes psychology rather than the Bible. As a teacher (of any kind), all that he teaches needs to be critiqued by the Bible - and there is much in his writings that does not line up.

• Members

James DOBson is pretty ecumenical, working closely with Catholics - and he promotes psychology rather than the Bible. As a teacher (of any kind), all that he teaches needs to be critiqued by the Bible - and there is much in his writings that does not line up.

True, he seems to join together with anyone who will join together with him without regards of the path they teach to the Father. The other jerry gave one good example of this, RCC. He is very liberal with God's Word.

He resigned because of the troubles that come up during the last election when he supported a man for president who was for abortions, which he previously had stated that he never would do. he had been criticized far and wide in the Christian communities for having done this, I think he hopes by resigning that it will not have a negative effect in the flow of money into his place.

I personally think he is still its head, but that is just my opinion that I cannot prove.

• Members

Can you give us some examples here Jerry? Thanks.

This very well could end up belonging in another thread, but I'll ask anyway......Do you believe that psychology is anti-scriptural or non-scriptual?

• Members

Psychology is, by definition, the study of the mind. There is nothing wrong with studying the mind and using what we learn to improve ourselves or to help others improve themselves.

Psychology goes much deeper than the mind and even to the depths of the soul. I think that is why Webster defined it as he did:

PSYCHOL'OGY, n. [Gr. soul, and discourse.] A discourse or treatise on the human soul; or the doctrine of the nature and properties of the soul.

• Members

I just remember reading about it, there was a few articles about it on his web site and around the net, but I don't have any of them bookmarked. It was a hot topic at one time. I believe we had a topic on here about it.

He also got into hot water by saying he did not think fred thompson was a Christian.

To many of those who practice Psychology do so in a worldly manner, from worldly teachings some try to mix worldly teachings along with Bible teachings, that is wrong.

• Members

A certain psychologist may add some Biblical things into what he practices or teaches - but psychology itself is unbiblical. Freud was a sexual pervert and Jung was into the occult and got some of his beliefs/practices from a demon.

You CANNOT make something ungodly into something Godly or "Christian" just because a professing Christian teaches it, or because a little bit of Bible/Christianity was thrown in. You don't make Dungeons and Dragons "Christian" by adding Christian words or characters - the same goes here: you don't make psychology Christian by adding a Christian or some aspect of Christianity to the mix.

• Members
You CANNOT make something ungodly into something Godly or "Christian" just because a professing Christian teaches it, or because a little bit of Bible/Christianity was thrown in.

If you're gonna practice what you preach then you're gonna have to go both ways.

You CANNOT make something ungodly just because a professing atheist teaches it or because a little bit of sexual perversion was thrown into it.

Kind of like rejecting Christianity because of BOB Gray.