• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prescription medication and Sorcery

• Members

I do not believe it is wrong to take prescription meds. I feel a lot of the time there are natural herbs that would do the same jOB safer, but not always. But as to the word pharmakeia, I believe is one of the keys to why many drugs should be by presciption only. Illegal on the streets. I believe that if we look at witchcraft (spells, enchantments, unexplainable sights) of the past you will find drugs making people see things that were not real. The witch could convince them of things because they were unable to think clearly. They were high on drugs. Now I do believe even the drugs have a purpose in God's plan. They are to help with pain for those who are ill, or about to die. They are not to drowned the sorrows of life every night. I believe those who want to use them in such a way (just looking for the high) are doing the same thing as those that would have been called a witch. What did the Old Testament say for the jews to do with a witch???

Exo 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an OBserver of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

My first contention was that his sermons was a bit off in left field. However, as always, I wanted to compare what had been said in his sermon with the opinions of those here on OB. I agree with Jerry that there are reasons to be cautious of some meds such as antidepressants ,and that such meds do more damage than cure. I never once stated that taking prescription meds are tantamount to sorcery. The speaker cited several passages such as the one I quoted in Revelation and all I sought for was some opinions on this and all I got was misunderstanding of what I had said, except for Jerry. Btw, just to clarify...I don't, and have not condemned anyone taking prescription medication if they have a script. I have a prOBlem with legalization of drug use leading to drug abuse -- especially those who don't have a prescription.

I'm opting out of posting...too much headache and misunderstandings.

Love,
Madeline

I have seen people who tried to tie all prescription drugs to sorcery, I wholly disagree. There is no doubt that those who are into sorcery, witchcraft, & such may use drugs in the course of doing what they practice, but that does not make drugs bad. Nor does it mean people who are on certain drugs because their doctor placed them on it have anything to do with sorcery, witchcraft, & such.

I know some people who has been greatly helped by antidepressants, sad to say some of them on certain people have a very bad affect. It would be nice if the doctor could know before hand if a certain drug would have a bad effect on their patient, but so far I don't know that they have a way of knowing if it will or not.

It was mentioned that drug companies are releasing drugs before being fully tested. That is true, and sometimes they have done this because of public pressure, especially by those who have certain cancers and their family members who think their only hope is a drug that has not been released.

Take care now and Happy Thanksgiving.

• Members

The sign for a Pharmacist is a green cross. In France you will find a pharmacie by a flashing green sign of a serpent and a cup sometimes with a green cross alternating with a serpent. http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacien&ei=EgETS5juDYqA4Qb5p4XfDQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCcQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpharmacie%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_en-GBGB345

Our ambulancces in the last few year have sported a strange blue cross with a serpent in the centre. (French amulances have long shown this cross without the serpent. The serpent is said to be Esculap or Esculapius, the Roman god of medecine. Hislop (in his Two Babylons ) says that

• Members

A speaker on sermonaudio was claiming that the pharmaceutical industry is dabbling in sorcery. The bible uses the Greek word "pharmakeia" which the word pharmacy is derived from.

I guess the "wise men from the east" that visited Christ were magicians (magi)too therefore the study of the dark arts is OK? This is the prOBlem when you make a dead language that nOBody speaks anymore your final authority.

• Members

I guess the "wise men from the east" that visited Christ were magicians (magi)too therefore the study of the dark arts is OK? This is the prOBlem when you make a dead language that nOBody speaks anymore your final authority.

I never ONCE said I agree with the speaker, so if you have a gripe about it...tell it to the speaker on sermonaudio. You can email him.

• Members

Doctors also have snakes too.I don't know exactly why they choose it but there are some very good christian doctors as well. I have a few, in fact my son's allergist seem very open with Christianity, they have a fish symbols, bible, etc. I think they are from India but they very good doctors and have helped our son alot.

I think they got the symbol from Greek. Which medicine got most of their terms from (plus latin) anyway.

I think it is going to be hard to get rid of the symbol though because people relate it to medicine for years and they prOBably find it hard to trust anything that don't have that symbol.

• Members

:amen::amen::amen: His by Grace

I do not believe it is wrong to take prescription meds. I feel a lot of the time there are natural herbs that would do the same jOB safer, but not always. But as to the word pharmakeia, I believe is one of the keys to why many drugs should be by presciption only. Illegal on the streets. I believe that if we look at witchcraft (spells, enchantments, unexplainable sights) of the past you will find drugs making people see things that were not real. The witch could convince them of things because they were unable to think clearly. They were high on drugs. Now I do believe even the drugs have a purpose in God's plan. They are to help with pain for those who are ill, or about to die. They are not to drowned the sorrows of life every night. I believe those who want to use them in such a way (just looking for the high) are doing the same thing as those that would have been called a witch. What did the Old Testament say for the jews to do with a witch???

Exo 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an OBserver of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

• Members

:amen::amen: Thank you for making where you stand so clear! I agree because I am persuaded this is what His Word is saying!! in Christ just trying to abide! His by Grace

Understanding the root word of pharmacy gives us a warning of the dangers of drug use - even pharmaceutical drugs can be dangerous and cause prOBlems to an extent. How many drugs are put on the market that are still in the experimental stage - a lot. How many prescription drugs can cloud your mind and mess with your body? A lot. How many doctors get kickbacks from drugs and therefore promote them when the patient doesn't really need that drug? A lot.

I am not against pharmacy drugs, per se, but there are certain reasons to be cautious of them and that industry producing them.

The terms used in the New Testament, from the same Greek word, have a reference to drug use associated with the occult and false religion, not just drugs in general - though we can certainly make the application - that just as God does not want us involved in the occult aspect of drug use, He also does not want us involved in drugs (ie. ones that are not prescription medications).

• Members

:amen::amen: You know some of the O.T. that many people miss because they don't bother to study the O.T. just the N.T. This is why we must study ALL of His Word!! :twocents: His by Grace

I had thought that the serpent was supposed to be a representation of the serpent that Moses lifted up in the wilderness that brought healing to the people of Israel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius#Biblical

• Members

Please don't stop posting!! Many thing's in other area's you have shared have really, really blessed me!! Please keep posting!! The Lord uses's all differently here so don't let anyone stop you from doing His will for you here!! Your sister in Christ, His by Grace

My first contention was that his sermons was a bit off in left field. However, as always, I wanted to compare what had been said in his sermon with the opinions of those here on OB. I agree with Jerry that there are reasons to be cautious of some meds such as antidepressants ,and that such meds do more damage than cure. I never once stated that taking prescription meds are tantamount to sorcery. The speaker cited several passages such as the one I quoted in Revelation and all I sought for was some opinions on this and all I got was misunderstanding of what I had said, except for Jerry. Btw, just to clarify...I don't, and have not condemned anyone taking prescription medication if they have a script. I have a prOBlem with legalization of drug use leading to drug abuse -- especially those who don't have a prescription.

I'm opting out of posting...too much headache and misunderstandings.

Love,
Madeline