• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Prescription medication and Sorcery

• Members

A speaker on sermonaudio was claiming that the pharmaceutical industry is dabbling in sorcery. The bible uses the Greek word "pharmakeia" which the word pharmacy is derived from. It is also used in Revelation 18, and speaks of how all nations were deceived by this. Could it be possible that prescription medicine is a tool of the devil to deceive us? Some prescription medication side effects can exacerbate symptoms of the illness. E.g., the antidepressant Prozac has been known to increase the proclivity for suicidal tendencies. Furthermore, most OTC and prescription medication offers more side effects than relief.

Revelation 18:23 - And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries (pharmakei) were all nations deceived.

Love,
Madeline

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A speaker on sermonaudio was claiming that the pharmaceutical industry is dabbling in sorcery. The bible uses the Greek word "pharmakeia" which the word pharmacy is derived from. It is also used in Revelation 18, and speaks of how all nations were deceived by this. Could it be possible that prescription medicine is a tool of the devil to deceive us? Some prescription medication side effects can exacerbate symptoms of the illness. E.g., the antidepressant Prozac has been known to increase the proclivity for suicidal tendencies. Furthermore, most OTC and prescription medication offers more side effects than relief.

In the words of a song I'm not allowed to name here, "sometimes words have two meanings."

They have similar root words but are not the same thing.

• Members

Revelation 18:23 - And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries (pharmakei) were all nations deceived.

Love,
Madeline

Two words: Good grief.

• Members

Understanding the root word of pharmacy gives us a warning of the dangers of drug use - even pharmaceutical drugs can be dangerous and cause prOBlems to an extent. How many drugs are put on the market that are still in the experimental stage - a lot. How many prescription drugs can cloud your mind and mess with your body? A lot. How many doctors get kickbacks from drugs and therefore promote them when the patient doesn't really need that drug? A lot.

I am not against pharmacy drugs, per se, but there are certain reasons to be cautious of them and that industry producing them.

The terms used in the New Testament, from the same Greek word, have a reference to drug use associated with the occult and false religion, not just drugs in general - though we can certainly make the application - that just as God does not want us involved in the occult aspect of drug use, He also does not want us involved in drugs (ie. ones that are not prescription medications).

• Members

The speaker on sermonaudio believes that all prescription drug use is associated with sorcery, even when it's not accompanied with the occult.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?sid=924082118484

Pharmakeia is a form of the Greek root word from which we get our English words: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, and Pharmaceutical. In the Bible, pharmakeia carried with it the idea of sorcery, occultism, and black magic. It is in this sense that Paul used the term in Galatians 5.20 as the word 'witchcraft'. In Rev. 9:21 & 18:23 it is translated 'sorceries'. Do you find it rather disturbing that approximately 60% of the population is taking at least one pharmaceutical drug every day? Some are taking up to fifteen and twenty! We are told that we are living during a time of the greatest medical breakthroughs in the history of the world yet, over one hundred million Americans suffer from various health prOBlems. Why has such a large majority of the world become dependent on pharmaceutical drugs? Perhaps you're one of the hundreds of millions around the world that's ingesting a daily dose of pharmaceutical medicine? Is it possible that the pharmaceutical/medical cartel has 'disease treatment' and not 'disease cure' in mind? The most powerful German economic corporate emporium in the first half of this century was known as IG Farben, and was nothing more than a powerful cartel of BASF, Bayer, Hoechst, and other German chemical and pharmaceutical companies. IG Farben was the single largest donor to the election campaign of Adolph Hitler & the beginning of the modern day pharmaceutical industry. Zyklon-B, an extermination gas produced by Hoechst, was used to kill millions of innocent people in death camps. The U.S. government's investigation (of all the factors leading to WW2 in 1946) came to the conclusion that without IG Farben the Second World War would of not been possible.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

The speaker on sermonaudio believes that all prescription drug use is associated with sorcery, even when it's not accompanied with the occult.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?sid=924082118484

Love,
Madeline

Sounds like your mind is made up. If you don't want to take medication, then don't take medication. Just don't judge those of us who recognize that medication is good and sometimes necessary.

• Members

Wow, again with this? I never once stated that I agree with the speaker, which is why I began the topic to get a second opinion. I gave an overview of his sermons and simply quoted what the speaker had said in his sermon, and you accuse of of siding with him? All I can say is WOW, just WOW!!!

• Members
Pharmakeia is a form of the Greek root word from which we get our English words: Pharmacy, Pharmacist, and Pharmaceutical. In the Bible, pharmakeia carried with it the idea of sorcery, occultism, and black magic. It is in this sense that Paul used the term in Galatians 5.20 as the word 'witchcraft'. In Rev. 9:21 & 18:23 it is translated 'sorceries'. Do you find it rather disturbing that approximately 60% of the population is taking at least one pharmaceutical drug every day? Some are taking up to fifteen and twenty! We are told that we are living during a time of the greatest medical breakthroughs in the history of the world yet, over one hundred million Americans suffer from various health prOBlems. Why has such a large majority of the world become dependent on pharmaceutical drugs? Perhaps you're one of the hundreds of millions around the world that's ingesting a daily dose of pharmaceutical medicine? Is it possible that the pharmaceutical/medical cartel has 'disease treatment' and not 'disease cure' in mind? The most powerful German economic corporate emporium in the first half of this century was known as IG Farben, and was nothing more than a powerful cartel of BASF, Bayer, Hoechst, and other German chemical and pharmaceutical companies. IG Farben was the single largest donor to the election campaign of Adolph Hitler & the beginning of the modern day pharmaceutical industry. Zyklon-B, an extermination gas produced by Hoechst, was used to kill millions of innocent people in death camps. The U.S. government's investigation (of all the factors leading to WW2 in 1946) came to the conclusion that without IG Farben the Second World War would of not been possible.

To be honest, this is one of(one of many, I must admit) the stupidest things I've heard come out of radical fundamentalism.

• Members

My first contention was that his sermons was a bit off in left field. However, as always, I wanted to compare what had been said in his sermon with the opinions of those here on OB. I agree with Jerry that there are reasons to be cautious of some meds such as antidepressants ,and that such meds do more damage than cure. I never once stated that taking prescription meds are tantamount to sorcery. The speaker cited several passages such as the one I quoted in Revelation and all I sought for was some opinions on this and all I got was misunderstanding of what I had said, except for Jerry. Btw, just to clarify...I don't, and have not condemned anyone taking prescription medication if they have a script. I have a prOBlem with legalization of drug use leading to drug abuse -- especially those who don't have a prescription.

I'm opting out of posting...too much headache and misunderstandings.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

There was a guy who discovered a drug that caused people to have hallucinations or something like that. I am not sure the name of it, but he felt this lead to many religions because people didn't know what they were doing when they were messing with chemistry in nature around them. I can see how people think they developed powers and visions using drugs (like voodoo doctors) . When all it is medicines using God's creation. just saying.