• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Functions and Purpose of the Local Assembly

• Members

Because of Hebrews 10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another..." So then one reason is verse 24 right above this that tells us in ver..24 "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works.:"(then ver. 25 ) Is that what your talking about I Tim. 115? His by Grace

• Members

Because of Hebrews 10:25 "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another..." So then one reason is verse 24 right above this that tells us in ver..24 "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works.:"(then ver. 25 ) Is that what your talking about I Tim. 115? His by Grace

Excellant OBservation.

http://www.kingjamesbible.com/B58C010.htm

• Members

Thanks Kevin!

Yes, Grace this is what I had in mind. Now, without sidetracking to prophecy...deeply...the rest of that verse too.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. We don't need to go here to deeply. I think we agree signs point to the imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Who within the local church determined the worshipful assembling of the local body of believers? It had to be the leadership, that is, those elected of God by virtue of their adherence to scripture and stedfastness to Christ. Also, it would have been those willing to take such a heavy and burdensome responsibility. Men worthy of double honor.

1 Timothy 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Our Pastors?

So, how do we conduct ourselves as a body of believers? Should we be excited? As Grace pointed out exhorting one another? Also, what should we be exhorting one another to or for? Self sacrifice, holy living, good works, and especially love one to another? Building us up in the faith?

• Members

I Tim. 115, We're a family "in Christ" ,right? So I thought that means helping one another when in need- spiritual uplifting, praying for, sharing what we have if their in need OR just to be a blessing, being avaliabe to help however we are able, praying to see one another how He see's them and loving one another as He loves them. Is this what your wanting us to talk about on why we have "the local assemble"?? There is so much more, isn't there, that I'm missing? Really looking forward to seeing this topic later today! Right now I have no choice I must go!! Your sister in Christ, His by Grace

• Members

A place to be fed. Acts 20:28
A place to be taught. 1 Corinthians 4:17
To hear preaching. Acts 20:7-9
To hear testimony to the grace and blessings of God. Acts 14:27
To edify one another. 1Th 5:11
To help widows 1Ti 5:16
To worship and praise God. Hebrews 2:12
To intercede for one another in prayer. James 5:14, Acts 12:5

• Members

I Tim. 115, We're a family "in Christ" ,right? So I thought that means helping one another when in need- spiritual uplifting, praying for, sharing what we have if their in need OR just to be a blessing, being avaliabe to help however we are able, praying to see one another how He see's them and loving one another as He loves them. Is this what your wanting us to talk about on why we have "the local assemble"?? There is so much more, isn't there, that I'm missing? Really looking forward to seeing this topic later today! Right now I have no choice I must go!! Your sister in Christ, His by Grace

I would add to the question of (why) the question of (how)? What are the activities we need to do is part but, how we go about it as a "local church/assembly" is another part. We all want to establish our local church after the pattern of Jesus Christ and the Apostle's teaching from the scripture.

1 Corinthians 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

My questions aren't questions at all, more of an inverse exhortation. We, you and I, are the church of believers and our Lord is coming soon. Are we exhorted to build up the spiritual, that is, love toward God, one another, and those in need? Are we to do this through the local church? How do we move forward?

It would be great to have the 1, 2, 3s of establishing the local church, growing the local church (growth of the believer), and moving forward as the church.

• Members

A place to be fed. Acts 20:28
A place to be taught. 1 Corinthians 4:17
To hear preaching. Acts 20:7-9
To hear testimony to the grace and blessings of God. Acts 14:27
To edify one another. 1Th 5:11
To be a blessing to those in need 1Ti 5:16
To support the work of God 1 Cor 9:9-11
To worship and praise God. Hebrews 2:12
To intercede for one another in prayer. James 5:14, Acts 12:5

• Members

The church is made up of people from all different backgrounds and personalities and as such is a dynamic, organic organization and can't be simplified down to a set of guidelines or "1,2,3's" unfortunately. The NT church seemed to be flexible and family-like. There was no requirement for traditions of any kind outside of communion and baptism so aside from that, there really is no set way to run a local assembly, whether you meet in a church building with a steeple on Sundays or in a laundromat on Wednesdays. There was no requirement for preaching at every gathering, nor for a single preacher. Rather, the NT seems to talk mostly of a group of elders rather than a single man being in charge of the assembly.

Of course, we don't live in a perfect world and oftentimes we must accept what man has messed up to a certain degree simply because we are human. Ideally, however, I believe that the purpose of the church, according to the NT, was for fellowship and teaching. Whether that teaching is done individually or in groups, there really is no set requirement or guidelines on how it is to be done. Of course, praising God together, encouraging one another, and having fellowship times was also a part of that. I think the most important thing that is missing in churches today is the lack of closeness. We don't really know one another like we should and we don't really share with each other like we should. I do think, however, that small groups and "cell meetings" have gone a long way towards restoring the fellowship and oneness of the local church but I think there is still much work to do.

• Members

I think the most important thing that is missing in churches today is the lack of closeness. We don't really know one another like we should and we don't really share with each other like we should. I do think, however, that small groups and "cell meetings" have gone a long way towards restoring the fellowship and oneness of the local church but I think there is still much work to do.

Kevin, The fact that what you have said here is often too true, really saddens me. Many times Christian brothers and sisters really don't hold each other in the kind of regard that one believes they are "brothers and sisters."

But you are right, the Christian church should be a place where believers are close, tell the truth in love and encourage one another. A place where a younger or even weaker Christian can be honest with others about their struggles and know they will not be "thrown under the bus" but will instead be lifted up in prayer and challenged to be more like the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Members

Heartstrings, I'm sorry somehow I didn't look up for the latist post when I made mine and left the forum to take the dog out before church. All the references you listed are good and I'll review them. Thanks.

Kevin, I agree I and others left liberality completely out of the discussion. Since you bring this up, I can agree we could become pharisaical about method or frequency. However, the exhortation remains in Heb. 10:25. This passage begs some questions. Why was the exhortation made? What did God reveal to Paul to have it included here? I got a chuckle when I thought of Paul asking Timothy for another quarter to finish drying clothes at the laundromat.

I have a different image of assembling when I think of the epistles of the new testament. These letters were to correct, commend, and exhort the local body of believers. I can't help but think the local churches met routinely for the purposes listed by Heartstrings and for communications from Apostles, elders, etc.

I also just thought about the severe persecutions these churches would have seen. They may not have had a certain day they met.

Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Romans 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

However the day was not mainly what I wondered about but, rather how they determined what the day consisted of and who determined that.

• Members

I Tim.115, I really haven't a clue! Never heard it put this way. Also, your other post lead me to many questions! Then Heartstring's listed a great list for me to begin studying this topic! I have a lot to study His Word and pray about. I must be honest that it is very frustrating when I hear "Christian's are the only one's to shoot their own wounded!" and to feel it's all to true. Is that too honest? I just try and remember I'm His Child and He is who I try to please because in doing that everything will be how He desires. Am I correct in approaching it this way? His by Grace

• Members

There are a few basic, principles of discipline and orderliness that are covered in 1Cor.12-14 and the pastoral epistles. The local assemblies are not to be prescriptive rather than flexible. The wrong things have been emphasized by the historical church visible and tends to make mountains out of mole-hills having the tendency to get off on the wrong track. Many groups are involved in "building worship" and the order of service and it's corresponding ritual, and have elevated it to the status of an inflexible doctrine. This seems to be the reason that causes contention and division between church organizations in nearly all denominations. In the passage in Hebrews, it makes encouragement the reason for an assembly. The Greek word "parakaleo" is the standard word for encouraging someone; cf. we have the Holy Spirit as our Paraclete, or "encourager." And we find in Romans 15:4 that it is the "scriptures" and the truth which comes from it which is the basis for all genuine encouragement for Christians. The church is all about growing spiritually, advance, and encouragment -- and this happens only through the scriptures (The Word of God). The church is fulfilling the biblical mandate if it is focusing on the Word and teaching the truth of it. It's not fulfilling the biblical mandate if to the extent it is hung up on other matters regardless of how it's organized.

And the verse on the "double honor" is referring to pastors or teaching elder(s) being supported by the local church so that he may be skilled in the Word and learn enough to feed the flock. The primary reason to organize and give is for the pastor's salary, rather than building and other places where the church money usually goes.

John 17:17 - Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Love,
Madeline

Love,
Madeline