• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Staff

Anon

• Members

Any pastors on here actually successfully hired an assistant that is loyal and loves the people and is an actual help to the pastor for long term?

Rather than getting independent and wanting their own way, and then dissatisifed and finally being a downright jerk before they find a new place?

Pastors that have been successful in finding a GOOD long term assistant...where did you find them and how did you go about finding them?

• Members

I hired an assistant who was a tremendous help to my ministry and he and I are friends to this day. I believe it starts with the interview process. Phil. 4:6 comes to mind when Paul tells us to do everything in prayer and supplication with Thanksgiving. I looked for an individual who complemented me, not was a replica of me.

Looking back, I was a unique pastor. I gave my assistants a lot of freedom to do their jOB. I often disagreed with my assistant, but would give him the freedom to follow the Lord's leading. Sometimes he would come back and we would have to make changes. Most of the time, his ideas were a tremenous success. It taught me that there is more than 1 way to accomplish the same goal. I also gave him at least 1 opportunity a month to preach.

The jOB of the pastor is to make sure that everyone is using their talents for the Lord, that includes assistants.

• Members

I am a loyal associate pastor. My pastor and I do not always agree but he is the leader so I follow. The things we disagree on are not major doctrine so it is put on the side as an issue of study, not to get in the way of our service together for the Lord.

I think I follow because I understand authority. I have been a leader and a follower in my secular life in law enforcement. I had to learn to step in and lead when needed, and to shut up and serve when needed. I support my pastor and anything I disagree on is kept beween he and I so not to bring disention among the ranks. Men have a natural desire to want to lead and end up following the flesh rather than the Holy Spirit.

I know many pastors that do not have a second man for the issues raised. That is sad but I understand where they are comming from.

• Administrators

I have no prOBlems with churches having an assistant pastor, but the main prOBlem a lot of times is the fact that assistant pastors most of the time use the position as a stepping stone to another future ministry. When I was an assistant it was a training ground to me for Evangelism. Of course, I was honest with my pastor and he knew my plans before I was hired.

The best assistant pastors usually come from your own church. I know that is hard to do with smaller churches.

• Members

I have no prOBlems with churches having an assistant pastor, but the main prOBlem a lot of times is the fact that assistant pastors most of the time use the position as a stepping stone to another future ministry. When I was an assistant it was a training ground to me for Evangelism. Of course, I was honest with my pastor and he knew my plans before I was hired.

The best assistant pastors usually come from your own church. I know that is hard to do with smaller churches.

:amen:

I feel that your correct.

• Members

BroMatt I think both you and deputy dog have it pegged. Some assistants are okay with being assistants...but even then its hard to stay submissive to authority, I find. My husband did ok as an assistant but he had been military....similar to you as police deputy.

We did find out some other issues recently which are also a large part of the way things have gone lately, and we are looking forward to the new year. I do think it would be awesome if we could raise up an assistant here (Now I know why sometimes Pastors use their own children! haha) but we can't even find deacons yet. LOL.

• Members

I agree with Matt also. I know that being the Associate right now is God's will. If im an Associate till I go home, thats fine with me, just want His will. However, we humans can get in the Flesh and want the power and control.

I, like Matt am 100% honest with my pastor. I am feeling like God is going to move me sometime in the next year to help another Pastor, whom I grew up with. The great thing is , Pastor wants God's will also instead of how he thinks it should go. Ill be praying God will raise a man up. That is what happened to me. Im still in the Church I got saved in 16 years ago. :)