• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Billy Graham

• Members

I agree with you amblivion, I thought he was a good preacher in his early years but became a compromiser/appeaser. I read an interview he did with Parade magazine many years ago (during the Clinton administration) and he basically said anyone can get to Heaven if they were a good person. That was it for me. There is so much more to the Gospel than the Love of God and he stopped preaching it. Very sad. I remember not too long ago, I mentioned on this forum that I liked George Beverly Shea's music and got criticized because he was associated with Billy Graham.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Not intentionally I'm sure. But some do repeat things they've heard and they may have been told a lie or myth and not honestly know it.

Just to clear up any questions in your mind, the things I mentioned that Billy Graham said were things I heard with my own ears. And my memory is still very good. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

He once made the statement that there would be people in heaven who never heard of the name Jesus Christ.

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

That just does not line up with the Bible.

That reminds me of the ultra-famous Joel Olsteen and his giga-church and how he flat out denied that Jesus IS the one true path to heaven, but for a Christian, life is not a popularity contest. Both Billy Graham and Martin Luther King Jr. are both popular and are both apostates. However, this comes as no surprise since the sciptures explicitly says in 2 Thess. 2:3 that there will come a "falling away, or apostasy" (Gr. apostasia) first along with hypocrisy and doctrines of devils (1Tim. 4:1).

Romans 6:4a - God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;

Love,
Madeline

• Members

Just a thought on this matter. In Billy Grahams early years I was quite young, but I remember him being on TV quite a bit but my mother would never listen to him. I remember asking her why, but she never gave me a real answer

The point I'm trying to make is perhaps he was no closer the truths of the Bible in his early years than he was in later years. It just took him some time to lay out the beliefs he was going to proclaim, and he feared to revealed then in his early years for fear his peers not accepting him, so he waited till he got a large following, much support, before he really got into his false teachings.

Yes, it would not surprise me if he was a wolf in sheep clothing from his beginning. That he use both people and churches in his early years for a launching pad.

Madeline, I figure both Joel Olsteen & Billy Graham come out of the same bag. They well may think they're proclaiming God's truths, it could be old Satan has them blinded to God's truths. An elderly Church member at our church who has since died always said, If the world loves a preacher you can be quite sure they have never proclaimed God's whole truth. I believe he is right.

• Members

If one studies the whole life of Billy Graham it turns out that even in his early days he wasn't solidly biblical and his heart wasn't set upon believing or preaching the whole Word of God.

At first, BG hung with and worked with some of the more conservative Christians but he quickly took up the task of "social causes", forsaking biblical truth and yoking with those who watered down the Word of God and those who didn't abide by the Word of God. Conservative Christians quickly separated from BG after he rejected their calls for him to hold to Scripture.

It's very telling that the world loved/loves Billy Graham and that he was long called "America's pastor". It's also telling that Rick Warren is seen as taking the mantle of "America's pastor" now.

It's sad how many professing Christians love to hold to watered down Christians and non-Christians. It's amazing how often Christians, sometimes even fairly conservative Christians, will quote from watered down and non-Christians, including Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, one of the Popes, Rick Warren, etc.

There are so many solid Christians one could quote, why quote these others just because they are popular with the world? I understand why worldly pastors and Christians do so, but why do others?

• Members

If one studies the whole life of Billy Graham it turns out that even in his early days he wasn't solidly biblical and his heart wasn't set upon believing or preaching the whole Word of God.

At first, BG hung with and worked with some of the more conservative Christians but he quickly took up the task of "social causes", forsaking biblical truth and yoking with those who watered down the Word of God and those who didn't abide by the Word of God. Conservative Christians quickly separated from BG after he rejected their calls for him to hold to Scripture.

It's very telling that the world loved/loves Billy Graham and that he was long called "America's pastor". It's also telling that Rick Warren is seen as taking the mantle of "America's pastor" now.

It's sad how many professing Christians love to hold to watered down Christians and non-Christians. It's amazing how often Christians, sometimes even fairly conservative Christians, will quote from watered down and non-Christians, including Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr., Abraham Lincoln, one of the Popes, Rick Warren, etc.

There are so many solid Christians one could quote, why quote these others just because they are popular with the world? I understand why worldly pastors and Christians do so, but why do others?

People love those who are rich and famous, loves to be identified with them, it seems to give them some type of special comfort and assurance. There is much respect of person, even in the Christian community.

• Members

When I visited and then lived with my Grandparents for well over a year I would get excited to listen with my Granddad and that really was the only time I heard about needing to come to Jesus! I did every time B.Graham preached it! In my later years, as an adult, I've listened to some interviews before I knew much about His Word BUT I knew enough to see Billy Graham had somethings wrong. All I had to hear was him speak about being "ecumentical" and I've just stayed away because I KNOW that's wrong. Otherwise I don't know a great deal about his stand doctrinally! They always mix some Truth in with the lies because that's just how Satan work's. in Christ I Trust! His by Grace

• Members

Go to http://wayoflife.org and do a search for Billy Graham. David Cloud documents all his quotes, so they would be very easy to verify. The statement that someone doesn't even need to know Jesus to be saved was made on the ROBert Schuller show, and the transcript is a matter of public record. The statements about the Pope being a man of God and the world's greatest evangelist are quoted in the Reader's Digest article on Billy Graham. I think it was about 1995 that it came out.

The link took me to a page with a search but returned NO results and referred me to do a Google search. Can you get a more specific link?

• Members

Not intentionally I'm sure. But some do repeat things they've heard and they may have been told a lie or myth and not honestly know it.

Amblivion's link to the videos provides indisputable truth that Billy Grahm has left the truth of the Word of God.

Some don't provide a reference, I agree. It's good to try the spirits but I and many others here always give the references to support our positions. Some are more frequent than others to be critical even in the face of indisputable supporting evidence. Everyone here has much of the same resources available to them.

• Members

The link took me to a page with a search but returned NO results and referred me to do a Google search. Can you get a more specific link?

Billy Graham

Try this, it should show several articles that on that site.

What is quite amazing is that with some people if you post some of these truths about Mr. Graham is the personal attack they will make on you, much like you would expect from a infidel, not a Christian.

• Members

Billy Graham

Try this, it should show several articles that on that site.

What is quite amazing is that with some people if you post some of these truths about Mr. Graham is the personal attack they will make on you, much like you would expect from a infidel, not a Christian.

Yep, that works and it is sad but true about Billy Graham's apostasy. You know God will still be glorified...
Philippians 1:12-17
12 But I would ye should understand, brethren, that the things which happened unto me have fallen out rather unto the furtherance of the gospel;
13 So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other places;
14 And many of the brethren in the Lord, waxing confident by my bonds, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.
15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:
17 But the other of love, knowing that I am set for the defence of the gospel.

• Members

Only if he is preaching the truth about Christ and His complete atonement for our dons - which he cuts cornerson in order to yoke up with Catholics and modernists. What that passage is saying is that God is glorified when the truth is preached, regardless of a person's motives. Get some of his old Decision magazines and look in vain for the Gospel in there - you'd be surprised! You might find an issue dealing with Christ's death, but not how Jesus paid the complete penalty for our sins and our works are not part of our salvation. Or perhaps an article about the resurrection, but not teaching three literal days and nights in the tomb or the necessity of believing in that fundamental of the faith in order to be saved.