• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music that pleases the flesh is ok . . . But what about other forms of entertainment?

Mrs Smith

• Members

Sorry, I responded before I had read the whole thread. BUT enjoying music with your body/senses is not fleshly. When you use that term you are confusing things. I believe it is better to consistently use the word in a Biblical sense.

I'm sorry! This whole confusion about the meaning of "flesh" and how it is being used is my fault. I should have clarified and made a definite definition as to how I was using the term. Sorry everyone.

• Members

I'm sorry! This whole confusion about the meaning of "flesh" and how it is being used is my fault. I should have clarified and made a definite definition as to how I was using the term. Sorry everyone.

Tifa, I don't think it's anybody's "fault." Sometimes in discussions like this, terms get confused just because everyone is speaking from his/her own perspective; and those terms just need a little clarifying before the discussion can proceed. I think that's what we ran into here...no big deal.

After hearing the clarifications, I think it's pretty clear we're all on the same page right along with you, Tifa. We agree that indulging our flesh (and teaching our kids to do the same) is wrong, and that, as parents, we need to make the right choice for our kids, even if others don't understand. We should do so with graciousness and humility, not with a Pharisaical attitude. Ideally, we would get a chance to discuss these things and explain ourselves to understanding and supportive extended family members...but that doesn't always happen.

• Administrators

Sorry, I responded before I had read the whole thread. BUT enjoying music with your body/senses is not fleshly. When you use that term you are confusing things. I believe it is better to consistently use the word in a Biblical sense.

Again, I never said "fleshly" - to me, "flesh" (especially as used in my post) and "fleshly" connote two different things. I am, however, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Members

Don't worry LuAnne, I used the wrong "meet" (meat) in a recent post and heard about it to a much less level than you are hearing about "flesh" here.......and you used the right word with the wrong people! LOL Just lightening the mood.

Seriously, it's good to see that we recognized that God gave us music not only for praising and worshipping Him, but for our enjoyment as well.....and they can go hand in hand. I had a pastor once that tried to convince everyone that if you started tapping your foot or anything regarding a physical response or interaction with the music you were being "worldly" and "fleshly". Not at all what the bible tells us.