• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Louisiana justice who refused interracial marriage resigns

• Members

He may choose to work where ever his conscience takes him. He does not have the right under the oath he swore to deny to perform his duties based upon the fact they are an interracial couple. Plain and simple. Beyond that, he is a bigot and racist. Further any Christian who believes God teaches a couple can not be married simply due to the color of their skin is a bigot and racist.

I am not sure in his case involve with religion or not. All he said that he talked both side of race and saw a lot of hurts.. including the children. But that can happen to anyone.

But I do understand where he is coming from as I do have a biracial relative (who is half black and half white) and the grandparents treated him as less important compare the rest of their grandchildren because of his race. It's a terrible thing for a child to deal with that.

• Administrators

Hummm.. I don't know enough about a "justice of the peace." I think they are "appointed." Right? Who is their boss? What do they do (beside marry people)? Are their responsibilities universal or is their jOB description given by the appointing party? Do they HAVE to marry people? Can they deny anyone?

They can issue warrants
They can arraign in certain cases
They adjudicate in civil cases as well

They can be either appointed or elected, depending on the area in which they serve.

They are like judges, only without as far-reaching "power."

I don't see why they would HAVE to marry people - although that is part of their responsibility. If they can deny anyone, it would be those whom the law forbids marriage (as in same-sex). Interracial marriages are not outlawed, therefore they would be OBligated should a couple come to them for nuptials.

Personally, I don't think this was a hill to die on. It'd be different if it were same-sex - that's worth resigning over. But not this!

• Members

They can issue warrants

They can be either appointed or elected, depending on the area in which they serve.

I don't see why they would HAVE to marry people - although that is part of their responsibility. If they can deny anyone, it would be those whom the law forbids marriage (as in same-sex). Interracial marriages are not outlawed, therefore they would be OBligated should a couple come to them for nuptials.

Personally, I don't think this was a hill to die on. It'd be different if it were same-sex - that's worth resigning over. But not this!

You are wise beyond your years!

• Members

They can issue warrants

Thanks for the quick education.. I'm working on a Nahum study or I would have done some research.

• Members

From what the news reported when this case first came forth was that JPs were free to marry or not marry and that this man hadn't violated any laws because the couple were referred to another JP who would marry them.

I've heard several interviews given by this man and I've heard him say nothing that would cause me to believe he is a racist or bigot. Both terms are grossly overused and misused these days any time someone holds a belief that touches upon race in any way that isn't part of the current PC norm.

There is absolutely nothing racist or bigotted in having noted the prOBlems many interracial children have dealt with and do deal with. When I worked in prisons some years ago there was one common comment every black/white interracial man I spoke to had to say. They grew up not accepted by whites or blacks and at some point they had to decide which they were. Once they made their choice, this brought about added prOBlems as they tried to "prove" they were black; white relatives were hurt and they continued to struggle with all this inside.

One interracial Mexican/white man had similar prOBlems and he actually held hatred for his mother because his dad was white. This interracial man went to great extremes to "prove" his "Mexicanness" by claiming to be Aztec, joining a Mexican gang, and being a supporter of the AZLAN movement.

• Members

Hummm.. I don't know enough about a "justice of the peace." I think they are "appointed." Right? Who is their boss? What do they do (beside marry people)? Are their responsibilities universal or is their jOB description given by the appointing party? Do they HAVE to marry people? Can they deny anyone?

They are elected in these parts. Different states give them different powers. But most of them can marry people.