• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cooper Family

• 4 months later...
  • Members

We have had them in our church. One of the songs they sang was "I saw the light" by Hank Williams. I walked out of the service and I am not interested in hearing them again.

I don't know that song, so I googled for the lyrics - and.. well.. okay, can I ask what's wrong with it?

I SAW THE LIGHT

I wandered so aimless , life filled with sin.
I wouldn't let my dear Saviour in.
Then Jesus came like a stranger in the night .
Praise The Lord , I saw the Light .

CHORUS
I saw the Light , I saw the Light ,
No more darkness , No more night .
Now I'm so happy , no sorrow in sight .
Praise the Lord, I saw the Light .

Just like the blind man, I wandered along ,
Worries and fears , I claimed for my own.
Then like the blind man, that God , gave back his sight .

CHORUS

I was a fool to wander and stray,
For straight is the gate and narrow the way.
Now I have traded , the wrong for the right .
Praise the Lord , I saw the Light .
CHORUS

Looks like a song about someone who discovered their need for Jesus?

I'm just beginning to learn about some of the 'stuff' when it comes to music -- as I stated in my intro, I'm fairly new to the IFB church and have discovered that the 'christian music' that we've listened to for a few years in our home might not be as 'christian' as I thought it was -- and I can recognize some 'CCM' songs as not being what they appear to be, but this one has me puzzled... it's not "christian rock" or whatever...

*curious*

• Moderators

I don't know that song, so I googled for the lyrics - and.. well.. okay, can I ask what's wrong with it?

I SAW THE LIGHT

CHORUS

CHORUS

CHORUS

I'm just beginning to learn about some of the 'stuff' when it comes to music -- as I stated in my intro, I'm fairly new to the IFB church and have discovered that the 'christian music' that we've listened to for a few years in our home might not be as 'christian' as I thought it was -- and I can recognize some 'CCM' songs as not being what they appear to be, but this one has me puzzled... it's not "christian rock" or whatever...

*curious*

I'm gonna stick my neck out there and presume to ans for brosmith based upon some of his previous comments. Remembering that many times recording artists have been known to be "credited" for songs that someone else wrote for them, Hank, Sr. may not be singing about something that he had experienced (he died @ 29 as the direct result of his sinful life). Being a signature song of a secular performer would be the reason for brosmith's reaction.

In an attempt for 100% balance in the situation, it must be realized that not everyone is familiar with this song (or Hank Williams,Sr for that matter). If (and I don't know this to be the case) the Copper's (who I am not familiar with) heard this song sung in a church and have never seen sheet music for it (not a far fetched scenario at all)---- they would be clueless. We have a couple of songs for which there is no sheet music, nothing to be found on goggle, and no knowledge generally available concerning authorship. We also have one written by a missionary, but has been published by an evangelist who claims he wrote it (even though we were the one who gave him the words and tune and TOLD him who wrote it).

• Members

I SAW THE LIGHT

CHORUS

CHORUS

CHORUS

*curious*

Hank Williams Sr. was a drunken country singer that sang about women and booze (in my original post I was referring to Hank Williams Sr.). He was also into drugs. There is no indication that he ever was saved and he died at the age of 29 as a result of his sinful lifestyle. He is credited with being the writer of "I saw the light". I do not believe a godly song can come from an ungodly man.

When the Coopers were in our church they introduced this song as being written by Hank Williams Sr. and it was acknowledged that he was a very sinful man who died in his sins. It turned my stomach and made me sick when they started singing this song.

• Members

I do not believe a godly song can come from an ungodly man.

While it is common many sinful men have sang Christian musics and hymns that have been written by other people (and possible they will lie and say they wrote the song), I do not understand this concept. You think this is godly song, but don't like it because an ungodly man wrote (and claim it couldn't couldn't be from a ungodly man)and an ungodly man sang it. I feel as long as the song line up with the bible, there is nothing ungodly about it and it doesn't matter who wrote it.

I feel either the song is godly or ungodly, you make your pick.

• Members
When the Coopers were in our church they introduced this song as being written by Hank Williams Sr. and it was acknowledged that he was a very sinful man who died in his sins. It turned my stomach and made me sick when they started singing this song.
oh I see now, which very understanding. it was how they introduced the song. The Coopers prOBably didn't know much about Hank Williams. Many people don't know much about other people's life.

• Members

I'm gonna stick my neck out there and presume to ans for brosmith based upon some of his previous comments. Remembering that many times recording artists have been known to be "credited" for songs that someone else wrote for them, Hank, Sr. may not be singing about something that he had experienced (he died @ 29 as the direct result of his sinful life). Being a signature song of a secular performer would be the reason for brosmith's reaction.

In an attempt for 100% balance in the situation, it must be realized that not everyone is familiar with this song (or Hank Williams,Sr for that matter). If (and I don't know this to be the case) the Copper's (who I am not familiar with) heard this song sung in a church and have never seen sheet music for it (not a far fetched scenario at all)---- they would be clueless. We have a couple of songs for which there is no sheet music, nothing to be found on goggle, and no knowledge generally available concerning authorship. We also have one written by a missionary, but has been published by an evangelist who claims he wrote it (even though we were the one who gave him the words and tune and TOLD him who wrote it).

Hank Williams Sr. was a drunken country singer that sang about women and booze (in my original post I was referring to Hank Williams Sr.). He was also into drugs. There is no indication that he ever was saved and he died at the age of 29 as a result of his sinful lifestyle. He is credited with being the writer of "I saw the light". I do not believe a godly song can come from an ungodly man.

Ahh, thank you for explaining [both of you] .. I have/had very little idea of who he was [beyond "a country singer or something?"] and no idea at all as to what kind of lifestyle he may have led.

I don't know if I'd agree that a 'godly song' couldn't come from an 'ungodly' song writer [have to think about that] - but thank you for explaining the reasoning here. Much appreciated!

• Members
You think this is godly song, but don't like it because an ungodly man wrote (and claim it couldn't couldn't be from a ungodly man)and an ungodly man sang it. I feel as long as the song line up with the bible, there is nothing ungodly about it and it doesn't matter who wrote it.

Let me clarify something. I do not believe that this is a godly song. I believe that this song is an attempt by an ungodly man to sound as if he was godly. I consider this song to be a mockery of true Christianity.