• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

lettheredeemedsayso

Eternal Security

The only person in the OT that had assurance of salvation was David when God said he had the "sure mercies of David". This was a type of our salvation today. Anyone who sees eternal security in the OT is either reading a different Bible than me or they are projecting the light and understanding they have now under the NT back onto the law. Try reading just the OT without the light of the NT like a Jew would had to before Christ. If you think there's eternal security there then you are reading a different Bible. Those OT saints didn't even have the same understanding of heaven as we do today. Don't forget, they went to Abraham's Bosom not to heaven when they died.

Job seemed pretty sure of where he would end up......

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

There is no clear evidence in 2 Sam 12:23 that David was referring to his child being in heaven when he said "I shall go to him". It is unclear as to whether David simply meant being buried with his father's (go to him) where his child would be buried along with him, or that his child would reside in heaven. Also, salvation rests upon whether YOU know that you are secure in Christ, not others (David, Job, me, you, etc.). Further, Eph. 4:30 states that it is the Holy Spirit that "seals" the believer until the day the body is redeemed. Separation from the Spirit of God implies separation from God.

Love,

Madeline

according to 2 samuel 12:23 my bible says this

"But now that he's dead, why should i fast? Can i bring him back again?I will go to him, but he will not return to me"

i dont know if it differs somehow from you
KJV. as i understood, you guys go according to KJV

Numbers 23:21, "He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them."

Great verse on one of the ways the Lord views His chosen people. :)

Eternal Security In the New Testament

If a person asks Jesus to come into their heart and asks God to forgive their sins and tells others

that they have accepted Jesus as Lord because He died for their sins and rose from the grave,

that person is saved from going to hell when they die. But what happens if that person sins later

in life?

Rom 4:6-8

6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. KJV

Once you are saved God imputes Jesus righteousness to you forever and will never impute or charge sin to you again.

Rom 7:19-20

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. KJV

Paul tells us that it is not you, the spirit, that sins but you the old nature and flesh, that is charged

with the sin.

1 Cor 15:50-54

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. KJV

1 Cor 3:10-15

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. KJV

Notice in verse 15, that even if you lose all your rewards you yourself will go to heaven and not hell.

Edited by Eric Stahl

Let's look at it the way some Calvinists have interpreted Hebrews. If we take the passage to mean those who mearly profess to be Christians, but have not given their whole lives to Him

Could you clarify what you are trying to say or ask?

Unfortunately the teaching of eternal security is sometimes the source of problems within Christian circles. Some Christians believe that if you hold to eternal security you are purposely promoting a license to sin.

That most often stems from a lack of understanding Scripture. Scripture is very clear that if one is born again in Christ they are new creature. This being the biblical reality for someone who is biblically saved, Scripture goes on to point out we can look to the fruit in our lives to check the state of our heart.

Those who are born again in Christ will not live as they did before. If a person claims to be born again in Christ yet continues to live as they did before there is something wrong.

Unfortunately the teaching of eternal security is sometimes the source of problems within Christian circles. Some Christians believe that if you hold to eternal security you are purposely promoting a license to sin.

Paul considers that question in Romans 6:
What shall we say then? Shall we co
nt
inue in sin, that grace may abound?

God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Know ye n
ot
, that so many of us as were baptized i
nt
o Jesus Christ were baptized i
nt
o his death?

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism i
nt
o death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.