• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Eternal Security

• Members

OT saints were saved just the same as we are. They trusted in the promise that Christ would come which they believed. We believe the same but look back while they looked forward on the work of Christ.

• Members

The OT also taught the covering of their sin and the future taking away of it when the Messiah came. They were saved on credit - but the payment was not made until Calvary. These might help a little:

Without Blemish In Christ - Part One

The Glory Of The NT Covenant - Part Two

Also, consider the two scapegoats on the Day of Atonement or the two birds slain for the healing of Leprosy.

• Members

They have been playing some excellent sermons by Adrian Rogers on eternal security on AFR.

You can also look to their website, Love Worth Finding, for access to these messages.

I was a member of Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis for four years back in the 1970's. He was a gifted preacher. I gained much knowledge under his ministry. His teaching on spiritual gifts is excellent. He held the same view Bill Gothard believed on the gifts.

Here is a good verse for Old Testament Salvation. No one in the Old Testament could keep the letter of the Law as we cannot keep it.

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

I am not back again to argue, but to fellowship with believers. If I have offended you in the past, I ask your forgiveness.

God Bless
John:amen:

• Members

Jerry, I read both post's you recomended I read (in blue) and even went back and reread the first again. Quite pleasantly surprised you stood on when saved we are IN Christ. For some reason I didn't think from some post's in the past we saw His Word the same regarding being IN Christ. Honestly, I've never heard of the breaking of the first Tablet's as the breaking of the Old Covenant and the next two Tablet's Moses's brought down established the New Covenant. I've alway's been taught that the Old Covenant was the keeping of the Law then the New Covenant was established by Christ's coming, willingly "became sin for us" and willingly allowed them to sacrifice Him on the cross then He arose three day's later ( all as prophesied in the O.T.) and then after he ascended He left us the Holy Spirit as our comfortor YET He couldn't come and live INSIDE us until we recieve Him as our personal Lord and Saviour. Honestly, I will have to do a great deal of praying, studying His Word and listening to what my Pastor has to say His Word say's. This is very unclear to me on the Tablet's and the Covenant's :puzzled3: yet still Abiding in Christ, His by Glory

The OT also taught the covering of their sin and the future taking away of it when the Messiah came. They were saved on credit - but the payment was not made until Calvary. These might help a little:

Without Blemish In Christ - Part One

The Glory Of The NT Covenant - Part Two

Also, consider the two scapegoats on the Day of Atonement or the two birds slain for the healing of Leprosy.

• Members

My two studies dealt with types, pictures, of the Old and New Covenants. The OT believers were saved exactly the same way as we are (by grace through faith), though the benefits of that salvation differ somewhat (ie. NT believers have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside them, whereas OT saints did not).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Eve sinned before Adam but wasn't cast out of the garden until Adam (her husband or head) sinned. We won't be cast out (Eph.5:21-32) until our Head sins. Our Head (Christ) won't sin because He has no sin nature.

The ark of Noah has a picture of the believers security in Christ with the Pitch in, Gen.6:14.

The Old Testament Tabernacle is filled with types. One of these shows in a clear way the believers security. Notice Ex.28:9,10. There were two onyx stones with the names of the 12 tribes of Israel "engraved" on them. Not painted on but cut in the stone.

There are many types in the Old Testament of the believers security.

• Members

if it is not "eternal" security, what kind is it? "Neverlasting" perhaps? (Which would give us neverlasting life!)

God is eternal and His "gifts and calling" are without repentance (Rom 11:29)--
Salvation is a gift from God, therefore it is never to be repented of.

There is a plethora of scripture on eternal security, only htose with blinders on their eyes cannot see it.

• Members

The only person in the OT that had assurance of salvation was David when God said he had the "sure mercies of David". This was a type of our salvation today. Anyone who sees eternal security in the OT is either reading a different Bible than me or they are projecting the light and understanding they have now under the NT back onto the law. Try reading just the OT without the light of the NT like a Jew would had to before Christ. If you think there's eternal security there then you are reading a different Bible. Those OT saints didn't even have the same understanding of heaven as we do today. Don't forget, they went to Abraham's Bosom not to heaven when they died.

• Members

The only person in the OT that had assurance of salvation was David when God said he had the "sure mercies of David". This was a type of our salvation today. Anyone who sees eternal security in the OT is either reading a different Bible than me or they are projecting the light and understanding they have now under the NT back onto the law. Try reading just the OT without the light of the NT like a Jew would had to before Christ. If you think there's eternal security there then you are reading a different Bible. Those OT saints didn't even have the same understanding of heaven as we do today. Don't forget, they went to Abraham's Bosom not to heaven when they died.

Job seemed pretty sure of where he would end up......

Job 19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There is no clear evidence in 2 Sam 12:23 that David was referring to his child being in heaven when he said "I shall go to him". It is unclear as to whether David simply meant being buried with his father's (go to him) where his child would be buried along with him, or that his child would reside in heaven. Also, salvation rests upon whether YOU know that you are secure in Christ, not others (David, Job, me, you, etc.). Further, Eph. 4:30 states that it is the Holy Spirit that "seals" the believer until the day the body is redeemed. Separation from the Spirit of God implies separation from God.

Love,

Madeline

according to 2 samuel 12:23 my bible says this

"But now that he's dead, why should i fast? Can i bring him back again?I will go to him, but he will not return to me"

i dont know if it differs somehow from you
KJV. as i understood, you guys go according to KJV

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Eternal Security In the New Testament

If a person asks Jesus to come into their heart and asks God to forgive their sins and tells others

that they have accepted Jesus as Lord because He died for their sins and rose from the grave,

that person is saved from going to hell when they die. But what happens if that person sins later

in life?

Rom 4:6-8

6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin. KJV

Once you are saved God imputes Jesus righteousness to you forever and will never impute or charge sin to you again.

Rom 7:19-20

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. KJV

Paul tells us that it is not you, the spirit, that sins but you the old nature and flesh, that is charged

with the sin.

1 Cor 15:50-54

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. KJV

1 Cor 3:10-15

10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. KJV

Notice in verse 15, that even if you lose all your rewards you yourself will go to heaven and not hell.

Edited by Eric Stahl