• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My son controls his bed time!!

• Members

Ok, here is another question/post from little ol' me.

When my son was 7 months old, I began letting him CIO (cry it out) at bed time. It was rough for 2 or 3 nights, but after that, he became a superstar at going to bed whenever I laid him down.

Shortly after he turned 1 year old, bed times began to get a bit rough. If my son does not feel like going to bed, he will cry and cry and cry. But here's the prOBlem! . . . If I let him cry, he cries himself sick! Which means I have to give him a bath, clean the crib, clean the floor, and put on new sheets. I would let him CIO, but I can't, because he will throw-up if I do. It's easier to let him stay up later until I see he's more willing.

I let him CIO last night, and he threw up again. And I couldn't help but cry in frustration as I gave him a bath. I was feeling so tired and discouraged, since this prOBlem has been going on for a while now. I laid him down tonight and he started crying again. I finally took him out since I didn't want to deal with him throwing up again, and I let him stay up an extra 30 minutes until he finally let me lay him down.

He sleeps 11 hours a night and has a 1 1/2 to 2 hour nap every early afternoon. And as most of you know, he is 14 months old. Any advice? :icon_rolleyes:

I would never let a baby cry more than 15 minutes or maybe 20 to go to sleep. It is not good for a baby to cry so much that he gets sick and throws up. My experience has been to watch for the first signs of sleepiness. At that time, he should be completely ready for bed. Take him, and hold him for 10 or 20 minutes as you rock and sooth him. Then lay him down. If he cries, let him cry for 10 minutes or so, then pick him up, soothe him again, and put him down again. If his is crying only a little and is a bit fussy, it is ok, but if he really works himself up, pick him up and soothe him.

• Members

yep. Sounds like you may have a high need child. My son was like this from the moment he was born. It was very hard to let him cry it out as each nights got worst not better.

Yes! He is very high needs, ever since birth too! Even at the hospital after he was born, he was a handful, and it has been that way ever since.

Sometime I let him cry, but it usually makes things much worse (like I described in my original post). Sometimes I will spank him for certain things, but sometimes that just makes him more upset, to the point where he is out of control and he cries and cries, and he forgets what I'm even swatting him for. He's not always like this, but he does it enough to definitely be very high needs and difficult. Sometimes I think it would be easier on both my son and me, if I wait it out until he is a little older before I expect total OBedience. Like, if I can only have the reassurance to KNOW that he understands me 100% when I tell him to do something (or not do something), then I feel like it would make discipline much easier. Did that makes sense?

Do you have any tips for me that you have learned from your son?

• Members

not really. I had to wait til he was mature enough to understand me. He didn't sleep on his own bed til he was about late 3 years old or early 4 years old. If you are nursing him, that make him worst... so quit nursing him cold turkey. (I think things got better when I quit nursing him as I was his human pacifier)

you might want to try baby sign and he prOBably be less frustrated and less crying if he can communicate with you better.

(edited: Reminding myself to use nursing now on..it sound better )