• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Old Bay Seasoning

• Members

Hi Everybody, :icon_mrgreen:

Do you use Old Bay Seasoning?

Maybe you'd like use it more but don't want so much sodium, and the commercial variety is very high in salt content. The following recipe will permit you to adjust the amount of salt to suit your own tastes::::::::::::::::::::::

Ingredients:

• Members

question, Why do every over the counter spices taste the same to me. Is it because I am not cooking my food correctly or is it just me? they all seem bland and doesn't seem to have different flavors to it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, flavors are detected by the olfactory bulbs which are located at the back of the throat in the passage that goes up to the nasal air-ways. If those flavor sensors are not healthy and vibrant then flavors will seem bland and vacant. This is the very reason that we cannot tell the difference between foods when we have a bad cold or sinus infection.

Here is an experiment:::::: Hold your nose and eat an apple. What does it taste like? Then do the same thing with a pear. What does that taste like? They both tasted the same, didn't they? i.e. hardly any taste at all, and no flavor.

We want to be careful not to confuse tastes with flavors. They aren't the same at all. The taste buds are on the tongue and roof of the mouth. The six tastes are ::::::: salt, sweet, bitter, hot, cold, sour.

Some schools of thought say that the ability to sense flavors descreases with age. It is also why some people (myself included) begin using a touch of hot pepper spices to season their food. The heat opens up the flavor sensors a bit.

In your case I suspect a medical condition, and recommend a doctor's visit. Just a thought.

• Members

Never tried it; guess I'm gonna have to. :icon_mrgreen:

I have to echo what Kitagrl said, it's great on fries. :drool:

One time at an antique tractor show (Rough 'n' Tumble, Kinzers, PA, annually the second week in August) there was a french fry wagon. I tried Old Bay Seasoning for the first time on french fries, and I have to say that I will never go back to ketchup again. :hungry:

It's also good on baked potatoes and steamed veggies, and just about anything (except eggs) you would put salt on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ooo thanks for posting that recipe! You just cannot find Old Bay seasoning out here and there are so many times I just crave it and wish I could find some. Have you ever had Old Bay potato chips? Those are pretty good as well.

Love 'em. ...especially with farm-fresh raw milk with a little bit of vanilla in it. If you cannot get that try Dutch double-chocolate milk. Either of those combos are to die for. :hungry:

• Members

I have never tried it but when I roast or grill chicken I rub it with a little olive oil then sprinkle a little ground bay leaf and a little grond celery seed. I prefer that to celery salt as the salt makes it absorb moisture and it solidifies.

I have not managed to get ground celery in England, I usually get it when we visit France, as with ground bay. the only place I managed to get some was at Veggie Perrins who had a stall in some of our markets, but he has not been in any for some months.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

"I was making Lowcountry Boil and I realized at the last minute that my Old Bay Spice container was empty. It was too late to go to the store and everyone was starving for our favorite meal. This recipe came to the rescue. It taste almost as good as the Name Brand. I didn't have the mace or the last ingredient (forgot what it was called) but it was delicious just the same. I may make my own from now on, and I'm a long time Southern Old Bay user. The taste was delicious and the savings are the icing on the cake. Try it!"

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Why is it called Old Bay Seasoning if it doesn't have Bay in it?

It does. The very first ingredient is ground Bay Leaves.

Stores around here only sell whole bay leaves so I'm presently building a grinder for this purpose. The grinder will consist of two sets of stainless steel roller pairs that have been sand-blasted to make them slightly rough textured. The first pair of rollers is spaced 0.001" apart while the second pair of rollers will be spaced only 0.0005" apart. Both roller sets will be driven at moderately high-speed (e.g. 1,200 rpm). A feed-in hopper will be placed above the rollers. There will have to be barriers and seals on the ends of the rollers to prevent leakage. The rollers will turn in opposite directions and pinch, grind and pulverize anything that is dropped into the hopper.