• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is It Possible To Attain A State Of Sinless Perfection; To Stop Sinning?

Is It Possible To Attain A State Of Sinless Perfection; To Stop Sinning?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Possible To Attain A State Of Sinless Perfection; To Stop Sinning?

• No.
    • Yes.
    • I don't know.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

"ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23
"There is NONE righteous NO NOT ONE" Romans 3:10

If we can attain sinless perfection in this life then God lied to us. According to Hebrews 6:18 it is impossible for God to lie.

We can come close but this is rare and we need to fight the battle up here (hand raised high) and not down here (hand near the floor).
That is why God commanded us to be perfect even as your heavenly Father who is perfect. (Matthew 6:48)

• 5 months later...
  • Members

1 John 3:6 - “Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.”

1 John 3:9 - “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.”

• Members

1 John 3:6 - “Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.”

1 John 3:9 - “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.”

Things Hard to be Understood
1 John 3:5-9

“And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” – 1 JoHN 3:5-9

In what sense does the believer “sin not”? This cannot mean that the believer is incapable of sinning or that he has sinless perfection. John already refuted that idea. “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8). Sin continues to be present in the believer’s life, and it is dealt with by confession and the advocacy of Jesus Christ (1 John 1:9; 2:1-2). What, then, does 1 John 3:5-9 teach? In this passage, John is refuting the error that claims it does not matter how a Christian lives since he is saved by grace. Paul referred to this same error in Romans 6:1-2. Both Paul and John teach us that true salvation is evidenced by righteous living. Christ is the believer’s life and righteousness (1 John 3:5; compare 1 Corinthians 1:30; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Christ lives in the genuine believer; “his seed remaineth in him”; he is born again by the Spirit of God. If a person claims to be saved but continues to be dominated by sin and does not strive to serve Christ in righteousness and holiness--—“doeth not righteousness”--—that person is deceived. The verbs here are in a continuous sense, referring not merely to acts of sin but to a pattern of life.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Romans 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

Romans 8:20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

Romans 8:21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Romans 8:22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

Romans 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

According to Scriptures, we will not attain what some call "sinless perfection" in this life. Edited by LindaR

• Members

John is speaking of walking in habitual sin. Those born again in Christ will pursue holiness and not seek to walk in sin.

Remember, it was John who also wrote that if we say we sin not then we are liars. John also wrote that when we sin we are to confess our sin and God will forgive us.

Let's not forget Paul, who was obviously born again, even after years of walking in the faith lamented that he sometimes found himself sinning when he didn't want to and considered himself the chief of sinners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I didn't vote, I think we all know the answer! Really it is YES...once we are living with Him in our Glorified Bodies!!! Amen!!!

Haha that's what I was thinking when I first read the poll, it doesn't say "in this life"! Of course we will one day attain a state of sinlessness, amen!

As for this side of glory, even if you get all the outward sins of your flesh cleaned up you still have the sins of your deceitful heart & mind to deal with, and according to scripture "the thought of foolishness is sin" Proverbs 24:9 which is a hard one to master!

We are new creatures in Jesus Christ, but there is still an "old man" we need to mortify daily, and he won't stop bothering us until the redemption of our body takes place.

None of this is any excuse to sin btw, we should be doing our best to live righteous and holy in the present world, and when we sin we need to confess it and forsake it, eschew evil like Job did.

• Members

Does anyone here believe they could go even 24 hours without even the slightest sin? Our minds are desperately wicked and it takes such little for something to trigger sin. I don't think anyone prior to translation to glory could attain a state of sinless perfection. Scripture simply doesn't teach this. Whether by ommission or commission, how many sins do we perhaps have in our lives daily that we don't even recognize or notice?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ro 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Ro 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Ro 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Ro 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Ro 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Ro 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Ro 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Ro 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Ro 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Ro 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Ro 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul seems to say that not even he could live without sin, but with the flesh the law of sin.

• Members

Sinless even for a moment ?????

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Over 50 years ago, as a keen church-goer & Bible reader, I was in prayer & ticket off the 10 commandments as "kept." The Lord brought to my mind the great commandments - "broken."

I was baptised as a believer at the first opportunity.

• Members

God calls us to the highest standard. We are commanded to be holy, for He is holy. That's our goal. We should be aiming for that every day, every moment of our lives.

In no way will any of us ever reach the point where we keep the two great commands put forth in Matthew 22. That one little word "all" is impossible for us to reach. How many can even reach the "easier" command to love all others "as thyself"?

Unfortunately, many look at this reality and determine there is no reason to even try; or they decide they are already about as "good" as they're going to get so no point in trying harder. This is totally unscriptural.

While sinless perfection won't come in this lifetime, we are commanded to pursue this. Only God knows just how close each of us individually are able to get to that point. What great things may the Lord have in store for us in fulfilling His will on earth as we pursue holiness with passion and zeal for His glory and honour!

• 9 months later...