• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is It Possible To Attain A State Of Sinless Perfection; To Stop Sinning?

Is It Possible To Attain A State Of Sinless Perfection; To Stop Sinning?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Possible To Attain A State Of Sinless Perfection; To Stop Sinning?

• No.
    • Yes.
    • I don't know.

• Members

I have heard a pastor claim that he went one entire day without sinning but I don't know as I buy that....

Neither do I.

But, I must admit, ma'am even if that were true, it almost seems you'd be sinning by simply saying that...Sounds prideful and pointless.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

You may be able to stop from committing certain sins - and be able to sin less (overall) but it is impossible to become sinless while we are alive and have a sin nature in us.

This is what the OT says (a just man is a saved man):

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

This is what the NT says:

1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

In other words, if any person claims to now be without sin, they are deceiving themselves and the truth is not in them!

1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

It is God's will that we strive against sin - but He knows we will not be sinless until we are glorified and have the sin nature removed.

• Members

There are some who claim they live without sin, but as the other Jerry pointed out, God's Word, the Holy Scriptures, disagrees with them.

I certainly believe was can sin less.

I can't think of a good example right now, but I know I've caught myself, after having done and or not having done something, why didn't I do or not do it. Paul explained that better than I can.

Ro 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

• Administrators

Crush - I think you hit it spot on: it's a pride thing.

As both Jerry's noted, the Bible is clear that we still sin after salvation. We are, after all, still in our bodies of flesh. But one day we will be sinless...when we see Jesus!!! :thumb: The Bible tells us that we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

• Members

Our aim is Christlikeness. Scripture commands that we be holy for He is holy. Perfection is our aim but Scripture is clear we won't attain full perfection in this life.

Some folks use that as an excuse for their sins or even as an excuse to sin. Some folks won't even bother to try since they know they can't achieve it. That's unbiblical. Scripture does let us know we can't be perfect in this life but we are to pursue holiness, to continually aim for perfection.

Of course we can't do this in our own power. We must submit to the Lordship of Christ in our lives and allow the Holy Ghost rule in our lives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree we have a struggle all this life to bring our cross before the Lord daily, we don't ever have to sin, being the Spirit of God dwells in us, but yes, we will sin in the flesh, some every day, but there are moments when God calls us that we can be in his state of sinless perfection. notice I said his , not ours, because it is in his Spirit we dwell with him, not in our own. Our spirit can bear witness with his Spirit, that we are the children of God, how else can God know us as His?

• Members

There are at least two examples in the Bible which refute the idea we cannot be perfect in this life (not attain it) but yes, be perfect or else God would make no claims of such in His Word

Genesis 6:9 "These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."

Genesis 17:1 "And when Abram was ninety

• Members

I remember reading a little "story" written as if a prayer. I do not remember exactly how it went, but it starts with the person telling how good he has been today. How he has not commited this sin or that. That he has controlled himself quite well. But then he says that now he is going to get out of bed and is going to need a lot of help from God to make it through the rest of the day. Now I am not saying a person can go without sinning until they get out of bed of a morning. But we all need God's help to keep our lives as pure as possible.

• Members

Sinless perfection? No! However we can live a life pleasing to the Lord by walking in the Spirit and living a holy life. I posted this before a while back and thought that it's worthy to post it again.

Author Unknown

There was a little girl, who's father was a pastor.

One day, she came to her father and said, "Daddy, can a person go their whole life without sinning?"

The father answered, "No, honey, I'm sorry, but that's just not possible."

"What about a year, daddy? Can a person go a whole year without sinning?" She continued.

"No, I don't think that's possible either."

"What about a day, can a person go a day without sinning once?"

"It's very unlikely, no, I don't think they can."

"What about one moment, daddy, can a person go one moment without sinning?"

"Yes, that is possible."

"Then daddy, I want to live my life, moment by moment."

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I didn't vote, I think we all know the answer! Really it is YES...once we are living with Him in our Glorified Bodies!!! Amen!!! HERE? NO! I find over the years the more I read His Word I just see how much MORE sinful I am-- not less!! Anyone else feel that way?? in Christ and so glad He will finish the work He has begun in me!! His by Grace

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Then let me live moment by moment as well!:icon_pray: I loved this poem Madeline!!! His by Grace

Sinless perfection? No! However we can live a life pleasing to the Lord by walking in the Spirit and living a holy life. I posted this before a while back and thought that it's worthy to post it again.

Love,
Madeline