• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Separation

• Members

I believe it is unbiblical to marry a lost person or to enter into a business partnership with an unbeliever, But Is it OK for a Christian to continually engage in recreational activities like hunting, fishing, boating with an unbeliever? I mean how far, biblically, are we to take separation?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I dunno, my dad has gone "rockhounding" with an atheist for years....and he has also been able to show from God's handiwork proof of the flood and of creation. The man is not saved yet but he is no longer an atheist and believes in Creation and has started occasionally attending Sunday School with my dad. I think it can be a good witnessing tool as long as you are doing Biblically "right" things (not compromising yourself to hang out with them.)

• Administrators

I think each person needs to use discernment and wisdom for each situation, actually. I'm not encouraging situational ethics. But each unsaved person is at a different point in their spiritual awakening (as it were). It might take more time with one than another.

I don't think it's a good idea (and I think scripture supports this) to just hang with the unsaved just 'cause we like them. If we are not using some of the time we spend with them to try to draw them to the Saviour, then we are not truly trying to reconcile them to God (and that is our ministry - 2 Cor 5:18-20 - And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.)

We cannot be ambassadors if time is not spent. But as I said, wisdom needs to be used. can't say how much time [you] should spend with a particular person any more than [you] can say for [me]. [meaning generically]

If we are truly walking in the Spirit, I think the Holy Spirit will warn us when enough is enough. Does that make sense?

• Members

I think the Bible is more against spending time with a rebellious Christian than it is spending time with the world...as long as you are not indulging in worldly habits while you are doing so.

I mean, to say its okay to work with an unsaved person for 8 hours and then NOT okay to go out to dinner with them for fun for one hour makes no sense and has no Biblical merit. (Using an example)

I agree with using discernment....

• Members

Depends on the control of the Christian. If they are somewhat in control, well, that goes a long way. For example. I would hunt, fish, golf, etc with a lost person as long they respected my Christian life style. In other words, they didn't cuss, talk "partying" (drinking, etc). and etc.

So, if the environment is "neutral"... that goes a long way......

• Members

The Bible also says you are in the world and thus you have to be around worldly people, but that you should win them. Jesus ate with publicans and sinners.

Jesus having ate with publican, does that cancel out this very plain verses?

2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Oh, does not the Bible also say that we are not to be of the world?

Plus, how can we be a separate people if we constantly join together with the unbelievers?

Of course we are to witness to unbelievers, but to do this we do not have to be unequally yoke to them.

• Members

Jesus having ate with publican, does that cancel out this very plain verses?

2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Oh, does not the Bible also say that we are not to be of the world?

Plus, how can we be a separate people if we constantly join together with the unbelievers?

Of course we are to witness to unbelievers, but to do this we do not have to be unequally yoke to them.

"1 Corinthians 5:9-11 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. "

I think the teaching of scriptures is that it is acceptable in the sight of God to have a certain degree of association and "friendship" with the lost but of course it isn't wise to be extremely close friends with someone who doesn't serve the Lord.

• Members

John R. Rice's small booklet, The Unequal Yoke, would help you much with this. I know not the cost of it now, but back in 98 it was 50 cents from "The Sword of the Lord."

Way to many Christians ignore the Bible and its teachings while living their life's using the world as their example of what is right.

• Members

I agree because of this scripture yet I think this is easier for men to do because women become emotionally involved with real friends. We outreach by alway's having more saved women reaching out to a unsaved women. My son was also taught to outreach this way. The men at church tend to do this as well. Inviting a unsaved man to join them...several christian men from church...to do something with them.

"1 Corinthians 5:9-11 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. "

I think the teaching of scriptures is that it is acceptable in the sight of God to have a certain degree of association and "friendship" with the lost but of course it isn't wise to be extremely close friends with someone who doesn't serve the Lord.

• Members

Has anyone considered Romans 8?

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We are not to ignore anyone, but to fellowship with them is quite another thing. Fishing? Hunting? Why should I want to go and do those things with them? We would BOTH feel uncomfortable in the presence of the other. I believe a Christian ought to have no desire for unsaved friends, except that they may be saved.

We can always come up with examples, and excuses to do what we want, but we need to let the Bible, and the biblical examples be our guide. We do not read of any of the prophets, the apostles, or any saints "hanging out" with unsaved friends aside from a leadership position (as Moses); even then, I do not believe he spent time "doing secular things" with them. What appeal do these things have for us anyway?

There is a lot that could be said on this subject, but I am afraid that most people can't handle it, and it is not well receieved.

• Members

Interesting that you consider hunting and fishing a secular thing. Actually, if people open their eyes and see precisely what the bible says, they will find new ways to minister to and reach the lost and to help the saved grow in spiritual maturity.

Corinthians 9

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law,

• Members

Interesting that you consider hunting and fishing a secular thing. Actually, if people open their eyes and see precisely what the bible says, they will find new ways to minister to and reach the lost and to help the saved grow in spiritual maturity.

Corinthians 9

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21 To them that are without law, as without law,