• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Pastor's Wife

• Members

Just curious on the philosophy of the pastor or assistant pastors wife.

So many churches have different philosophies on her "jOB" but I think the Bible has a different one.

So....I'd like to hear what you all think....and if you can back it up with Scripture, that would be great! I know what I think and even a few other things I'm leaning towards but would like to hear what others have to say first.

• Members

She is supposed to be the pastor's wife; nothing more, nothing less. If she has gifts and talents to give to the church like other members, that is great; it shouldn't be expected of her, however.

The Bible gives only these qualifications for a pastor's wife:

I Tim. 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sOBer, faithful in all things.

Titus 2 is applicable to any wife, including a pastor's.

• Members

She is supposed to be the pastor's wife; nothing more, nothing less. If she has gifts and talents to give to the church like other members, that is great; it shouldn't be expected of her, however.

The Bible gives only these qualifications for a pastor's wife:

I Tim. 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sOBer, faithful in all things.

Titus 2 is applicable to any wife, including a pastor's.

Scripturally, Bakers is right on the mark, anything else cannot be supported by the Bible.

• Members

Its just good to hear other opinions on the topic....

I often offer to do nursery myself since I have the most kids but generally we don't have anyone come out that needs babysat, and our asst pastors wife keeps her kids when she goes with her hub...she has brought them over in the past but lately has not.

Anyway...I just figured in the Bible, it doesn't say much about the wife going out and doing all the things the pastor does. In Proverbs 31 the woman's main ministry is her family, and then she does think of the poor and help in the community...I figure that translates into a pastors wife as well...family first, and then doing what she can in the church.

I do have a Sunday School class and I run the nursery, and then try to help in other ways but I don't get out to organized soulwinning....I may try to do a morning soulwinning with someone but even then, it will still require my hub to babysit when he could be doing other things....

• Members

The Churches around here that black people attend, they call the pastors wife their 1st Lady.

They even have a special day each year to show her appreciation and set her in a chair that looks like a throne setting beside her husband who is setting on his throne.

On such occasion they will run an add in the local paper announce this special event inviting all to come and celebrate with them.

• Members

Oh to be black. haha j/k..... although I remember when I was really little, like four...I saw a black lady and told my grandma I thought she was pretty and I wished I was black. I think she shushed me. :-)

• Members

Baker's hit the head on the nail and you backed it up quite nicely Kita. A wife - any wife - has the first priority of caring for the family - this is part of her being her husband's help meet. If there are no children to be cared for, then she is to serve as her pastor/husband feels best - whether going out soulwinning or leading a study or prayer meeting with the women of the church. There is no list that she need keep up with, just simply serve her husband as his help meet and, through that, she fulfills her duty to God.

• Members

I agree. a Pastor is a Pastor and a Pastor's wife is a Pastor's wife. She still has responsiblites as needed. If it means taking care of the kids then that is what needs to happen. Perhaps some of the other ladies in the Church could offer to help so she could go soul winning once in a while. Perhaps she would enjoy the break.