• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I am a single mom who really wants to homeschool

• Members

Unfortunately, I am a single mom. However, I have a great desire to homeschool my son in the future (he is still only a toddler). I am blessed to be living with my mom and my older brother, who have both allowed me to be a stay-at-home mom since the day my son was born. I am actually waiting to test next year, in hopes of entering an ROP LVN program, and perhaps later down the road, I will be able to advance myself to an RN.

This is my thought-out plan. To become an LVN before my son is old enough to start school, and then once he starts school, I can work 3-4 nights a week in graveyard shifts. Then I can be home during the day. But here are some prOBlems . . . Will I be able to live off of that sleeping schedule, or realisticly, would I fall-apart? I don't know.

As far as I can see, I will be living with my mom for many years to come, if the Lord is willing to keep it this way (I know our lives are in His hands, and is able to change our lives in anyway He pleases). But if that's the case, maybe she can help by allowing me to nap some days.

But my son won't start school for at least another 3 years. I'm prOBably thinking too far ahead. Maybe I should stop thinking about it, and see what the Lord will bring about in our lives until that day even comes.

Have you ever known a single parent who home-schooled? How did they do it?

• Members

I know two who have done it, one very successfully the other not so much. Being prepared for the years to come is a good thing. Having skills to be able to gain employment is always good but ultimately the Lord is in control and things do change. Head in the direction you think the Lord will have you go and if it's not to be or you have no peace doing it then seek the Lord's will once again for a new direction. There are no easy answers you have to try the doors and see the Lord's hand in what happens or does not happen if you get what I mean. This is just my opinion there are others on this site that will answer prOBably with more wisdom than I but be encouraged and trust in the Lord. The fact that you are thinking and planning shows to me what a loving mum you are.

A sister in Christ

Blossom

• Moderators

situations like this is why our Christian School only cost $85/ month and with the 2 levels of partial scholarship and multi-child discounts we actually have children @ only $25/ month per child TOTAL costs.

Of course, the closest person on this forum to our location is prOBably 150-200 mi away

• Members

I know two who have done it, one very successfully the other not so much. Being prepared for the years to come is a good thing. Having skills to be able to gain employment is always good but ultimately the Lord is in control and things do change. Head in the direction you think the Lord will have you go and if it's not to be or you have no peace doing it then seek the Lord's will once again for a new direction. There are no easy answers you have to try the doors and see the Lord's hand in what happens or does not happen if you get what I mean. This is just my opinion there are others on this site that will answer prOBably with more wisdom than I but be encouraged and trust in the Lord. The fact that you are thinking and planning shows to me what a loving mum you are.

A sister in Christ

Blossom

Thank you. It can be very discouraging to see the negative consequences of my sin upon my son and me day by day . . . Trying to go to school and have a good career to support us, while raising my son in the Lord outside of day-care and public school is certainly a hurdle.

The Lord knows what my son and I need, and I will continue to give Him my cares in prayer. Thank you for your encouraging words!

• Members

situations like this is why our Christian School only cost $85/ month and with the 2 levels of partial scholarship and multi-child discounts we actually have children @ only $25/ month per child TOTAL costs.

Of course, the closest person on this forum to our location is prOBably 150-200 mi away

I did find an IFB church school online that seemed very good, but it's nearly an hour away. Since my son is only 1 year old, it may be possible that the Lord will have a good nearby church school by the time my son is old enough to attend! Or maybe not. Only the Lord knows what He has planned. : )

Unfortunately, the Christian schools around here aren't much different than the public schools. And I would know, since I have atteneded one for a few years when I was younger. I have also known others who have attended other nearby Christian schools too. It's just sad.

• Members

One thing about homeschooling is that you can set your own schedual. You don't have to "do school" from 8 to 3 or whatever. Also, since it's just you and your child you can actually accomplish much more in a shorter amount of time than what a typical child in public school can get.

You can instruct you child at any time of day, any day of the week and during any time of the year.

Often as we homeschooled we would begin early in the morning our children would be finished by or before noon.

It's good you are thinking ahead. Be sure to include this in your prayers because I can attest to the fact the Lord does answer prayers in this area. When we first saw the Lord leading us to homeschool it looked impossible but we followed the Lord and He never failed to provide the time, means and material.

• Moderators

I did find an IFB church school online that seemed very good, but it's nearly an hour away. Since my son is only 1 year old, it may be possible that the Lord will have a good nearby church school by the time my son is old enough to attend! Or maybe not. Only the Lord knows what He has planned. : )

Unfortunately, the Christian schools around here aren't much different than the public schools. And I would know, since I have atteneded one for a few years when I was younger. I have also known others who have attended other nearby Christian schools too. It's just sad.

Even as pastor and C.S. principal, I am a staunch proponent of home schooling. There are, however, some that cannot (due to circumstances beyond their control) or will not home school. Way too many people are busy trying to build little kingdoms for themself, their church, or their school resulting in accepting anyone with an open wallet and allowing the conditions in the school to become nothing more than a public school with tuition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a few cents worth, I home schooled my first child the first grade, and if you do, I suggest you STRESS the things about God and Creation you want them to remember, because when (and if) they do get into the public "arena"; schools will try to destroy that foundation of a Creator. My first child whom I only home schooled one year has way more sense about God than my second child; whom I put into headstart and then kindergarten and then firstgrade.. 3 years more of public nuisance (I mean non-sense teaching) and he is so much more at a loss for God. It's the foundation of a Creator you must stress in your teaching while you have the "opportunity",

God bless

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I would like to pray for you in this endevour depending on what state you live in, it might also be possible for another mom in your church who homeschools her children to also homeschool your son should you have to work. And I may get a lot of flak about this, but I do believe however as a last resort DVD Homeschool programs such as Abeka are a good option.

• Members

I would like to pray for you in this endevour depending on what state you live in, it might also be possible for another mom in your church who homeschools her children to also homeschool your son should you have to work. And I may get a lot of flak about this, but I do believe however as a last resort DVD Homeschool programs such as Abeka are a good option.

Oh, thank you Kayla! Reading your reply was a real encouragement to me. Actually, I have already decided to use Abeka when the time comes, and I was actually looking into the DVD program. The DVD program seems like a good thing, so why are some against it? I know it will be a little pricey, but I figure that if I am to remain a single mom, having the DVDs will offer some help with schooling.

I have heard of homeschooling moms who homeschool other children as well. I know there are women in my church who are homeschooling, but I would hate to ever ask anyone such a huge favor as schooling my child too! But I will pray about it. And if the Lord would have another mom homeschool my son, then I will pray that the Lord work it out in His own marvellous way.

• Members

I think they are neat, I am not crazy about all of Abeka's materials. I do love their English curr. It is very regimented which is good. All of my friends who took Abeka and took the English placement test at our college, tested out of English. However I am not a big fan of the Bible Curriculum, just personally I was not a big fan. Just some insight for you. As the time draws closer more options may appear on the horizon.