• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When do you begin training your little one to sit still and not fuss

• Members

Thank you, I spent all my life trying to fix my hearing -- hearing aids, cochlear implant, speakers, batteries, etc. and I'm just running out of money just to keep up with hearing people(kinda like keeping up with the Jones). Tomorrow, I have to take my son for a speech therapy evaluation to undo all the speech damage I've done to him . But again, thank you :)

Your welcome. I know that Linda's Aunt Jot has spent quite a bit of money on trying to hear, and its costly to keep fresh batteries in her cochlear implant.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

She can get an upgrade processor that have a rechargeable batteries The only prOBlem that if insurance won't cover it (and most won't, at least mine didn't) The processor itself can cost up to $6,000 if it's not more.

I can use either rechargeable or regular batteries -- but right now, I lost one of my rechargeable and it is going to cost me $200 (which is about the same as a year supply batteries) for one little bitty rechargeable that only last 8-12 hours. but that's ok, because I take them off and recharge every night

• Members

How very British you sound! I'm sure the difference in perspective is due mostly to culture. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't imagine sending my kids off to boarding school...It wouldn't seem right to me. That's not to say it isn't right...just that I don't think I could be the right kind of mom and do that. Perhaps others could. OBviously, you think your parents did the right thing.

I'm not British. I'm Southern, raised in the societal south (which, for some reason, includes attending boarding school and college in the northeast before returning to Dixie or some other acceptable society). I guess there is a cultural difference, but it would be in the U.S. (almost everyone I know went to a boarding school and had a nanny)

• Members

Didn't know that culture still existed anywhere in the south.

I think there is a good arguement that the South has the only pure culture in the U.S. We have done a fairly good jOB of preserving the culture of our European ancestors. Just come to New Orleans for a few days and see if you feel like you're still in the states.

• Members

Not in many parts of the south, that's for sure. I don't think there's a whole lot of the old southern culture left that you grew up in.

There was never a lot of it. Most of the South is rural. Our population is miniscul compared to the amount of land we encompass. There is a difference between being "country" and being "Southern." The major cities (Richmond, Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta, Savannah, Birmingham, MOBile, New Orleans, Jackson, Memphis . . .) and outlying areas is were the "Southern Culture" is still, though not as prominent, well preserved.

Just look at our architecture, our dress, the way we speak, and if you have a good eye for it, even our bone structure. Plus, consider the way we live. It is more Scottish clan or French society than anything American.

• Members

I must not have seen any of that. I lived in NC for several years and didn't see it. Must not have been in the right place. I was so glad to be back in the north.

It is fairly insulated. If you're not born into it, I don't know how you could be a part of it. But surely you witnessed some of it (architecture, speech . . .)? I really don't know that much about NC. It is definitely not the deep south, but should still have some evidence of Southern Culture. Then again, if you were in a "new city" (one not in existance prior to the war), I guess it's possible that it was just like every other "new city."

• Members

It is fairly insulated. If you're not born into it, I don't know how you could be a part of it. But surely you witnessed some of it (architecture, speech . . .)? I really don't know that much about NC. It is definitely not the deep south, but should still have some evidence of Southern Culture. Then again, if you were in a "new city" (one not in existance prior to the war), I guess it's possible that it was just like every other "new city."

The speech was the most noticeable, of course. But I found it to be a very uneducated form of speech, not like the refined southern accent that you see in movies like Gods and Generals. The grammar and pronunciation was terrible and most people went to work right out of high school without going to college. The architecture didn't strike me as being very much, except for the many trailer parks, which are non-existent in the north. Of course, the Biltmore was something to be seen but we didn't live in that area. My parents visited Charleston and that seemed like a much more rich area, culturally.

• Members

The speech was the most noticeable, of course. But I found it to be a very uneducated form of speech, not like the refined southern accent that you see in movies like Gods and Generals. The grammar and pronunciation was terrible and most people went to work right out of high school without going to college. The architecture didn't strike me as being very much, except for the many trailer parks, which are non-existent in the north. Of course, the Biltmore was something to be seen but we didn't live in that area. My parents visited Charleston and that seemed like a much more rich area, culturally.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Sounds like you were in the "country" not the South.

• Members

Speech does NOT equal intelligent (I get sick and tired of Audists as well because they think speaking is more important than sign language because the myth that it will lower their intelligent ) . You need to watch My fair lady. The girl isn't dumb but just cultural different. There is nothing wrong with living simple, it just the way of life. These people really have appreciation for something else other than buildings...like family. I know because my in-law ran a mOBile home park. These people can't afford a house, second, a house is too expensive and difficult to maintain. (some people are disabled). You need to find art somewhere else like nature.

But on the other hand, those trailers do need to blend in more in nature.

• Members

I guess....we lived in Winston Salem and then in the Greensboro area but we seemed to encounter it wherever we went during our travels between there and here when we would visit family. The south is a very exclusive society, as well. One lady that we knew for years down there told us right before we moved back that normally they didn't like Yankees but they liked us. lol