• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When do you begin training your little one to sit still and not fuss

• Members

As a dad (now a granddad) may I give an opinion.

You should begin training a child in all things as soon as you can.

Feeding. Our foster son who lives in the US, married and had a child. My elder daughter who is a nanny, had just finished a jOB and flew out to stay for a couple of months with them. When she returned, shae tol me that she had soon got the baby out of demand feeding. "Don't you agree with demand feeding?" I asked. "NO! I don't," she replied, "If you give in to a baby's demands for feeding, you will be giving in to their demands for the rest of their lives. One woman who heard this said that she did not believe that my daughter could have had any children of her own. My daughter said that as a live in nanny and a nursery nurse she would have spent more time up in the nights than most women. "It takes two days, three at the most, and the baby doesn't even notice." she said.

Potty training. We trained our daughters as soon as they could sit on their own. Our eldest was out of nappies (diapers) before she was one year old and the younger, soon after one. WE cannot believe it when we hear a mothers say, "My child is three, I will have to start training him/her."

Invicta, my comments below are not aimed at you, your post just had the most concise information from which to quote. Pt mentioned "how strict" his nanny was, others mentioned scheduling and training for the convenience of the parent etc.

Talktotifa, I do agree with many of the others that you MUST start YOUNG with training your little one, that you must be CONSISTENT and apply DISCIPLINE and GUIDANCE when necessary, and that will also include corporal punishment. I would, however, caution you as well to be sure that you balance your approach, especially with early corporal punishment. This Bible verse in Eph 6:4 comes to mind "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." Children can easily be provoked to wrath when they feel they were punished unjustly because they did not fully understand what they did was wrong or why it was wrong. I try to always explain to my little ones why what they did was wrong, how the Lord feels about it and how they can avoid the trouble the next time. I'm not trying to even imply that is what you are doing, on the contrary, I think that you are doing a fine jOB. I do get concerned, however, when I hear people make emphatic statements about scheduling babies feedings and every aspect of Baby's life around the convenience of parents (or nannies) because otherwise those little babies are going to grow up as tyrants. Remember, babies are needy and very tender, they do not have yet the knowledge of an adult. They must learn to manipulate; they are not born thinking as such, and there are two sides to the situation. If literally EVERYTHING is scheduled around the parent's convenience, who is being selfish--Mommy and Daddy or the Baby? Just a thought. I like how one person (I can't remember who, sorry) pointed out that there is often several ways children can be taught the same thing. It is so true. They all have different personalities and will react differently to different approaches.
Bathe everything in prayer, and may the Lord bless you and your little One for your diligence in seeking the Lord's will in how to raise your son.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I seem to have diverted the thread from teaching children to behave, to nannies. However I think it is still about teaching children.

My younger daughter is very active in her church. She hjas five children and home educates the four eldest, the youngest is 8 months old. They are all well behaved, as my two dauighters were.

My eldest daughter is a nanny as I have already mentioned. At one time she was a maternity nurse, specializing in twins. This involves living in with a mother with new born twins for 2 weeks, training the child and the mother, I suppose. At one time she worked for a TV presenter (someone I had never heard of) and she got the most wonderful reference as when the mother couldn't cope with her twins., she just took over. A magazine ran an article on this mother and her twins, but nanny wasn't mentioned, but my daughter shwed me the photos and said, I filled those bottles, I washed the babies, I washed the sick off that mattress before the picture was taken, etc.

She had a long time (aboiut 9 years) with a family whose parents were lawyers. She had sole charge of the children till they went to boarding school. Even now after several years, the youngest asks her to go to her school concerts, etc, as "Mummy isn't coming."

An interesting remark from one of the children to my grandchildren was: "Who is your nanny?" Another was to my son in law who was playing football with the boys, was. "I wish you were my daddy."

They had all the wealth, two smart houses, one in London and one in the country, 4 cars, but they didn't really have a home.

Reminds me of a poem ny dad used to recite.

It went something like this.

Here lies the body of Benjamin Barrs
He owned the world and seven cars
But then he died
And missed the sky and all the stars.

• Members

I seem to have diverted the thread from teaching children to behave, to nannies. However I think it is still about teaching children.

My younger daughter is very active in her church. She hjas five children and home educates the four eldest, the youngest is 8 months old. They are all well behaved, as my two dauighters were.

My eldest daughter is a nanny as I have already mentioned. At one time she was a maternity nurse, specializing in twins. This involves living in with a mother with new born twins for 2 weeks, training the child and the mother, I suppose. At one time she worked for a TV presenter (someone I had never heard of) and she got the most wonderful reference as when the mother couldn't cope with her twins., she just took over. A magazine ran an article on this mother and her twins, but nanny wasn't mentioned, but my daughter shwed me the photos and said, I filled those bottles, I washed the babies, I washed the sick off that mattress before the picture was taken, etc.

She had a long time (aboiut 9 years) with a family whose parents were lawyers. She had sole charge of the children till they went to boarding school. Even now after several years, the youngest asks her to go to her school concerts, etc, as "Mummy isn't coming."

An interesting remark from one of the children to my grandchildren was: "Who is your nanny?" Another was to my son in law who was playing football with the boys, was. "I wish you were my daddy."

They had all the wealth, two smart houses, one in London and one in the country, 4 cars, but they didn't really have a home.

Reminds me of a poem ny dad used to recite.

It went something like this.

Here lies the body of Benjamin Barrs
He owned the world and seven cars
But then he died
And missed the sky and all the stars.

This post cast the people who hire nannies in a bad light, and I'm am sure there are situations like this. However, please know that not everyone who grew up with a nanny thinks this way.

My parents were always involved in my life (however, if I while growing up I knew a man who always wanted to play football and never disciplined me, I'd prOBably wish he were my dad too). I lived over 800 miles away while prepping and they never missed one of my football games (a plane trip a week, at least ten times a year). If my mom missed some event of my childhood due to work, I knew it was because she was out there serving those less fortunate that we were which, in addition to being a mother, is one of her duties as a woman of her status. And my nanny was very involved in my life and still is (her and her family still holidays with us even though all the kids are grown). I think of her as part of the family, and she truly is. It's like having an aunt that lives with you and helps out when needed.

And changing diapers and cleaning up are not what makes an effective mother. It's the example you set and the nurture you provide. If there is one thing I have gathered from my childhood, it's that I am lucky. I have a debt that has been paid by someone else. Therefore, i have a greater burden, more of a responsibility, to go out and give up a part of my life for the good of others. It may be easy to say, "I can't, I'm needed at home," but that just isn't the case. I can afford to handle things at home, but others can't. Therefore, I must go out and do it. I must be that example to others. And I learned that from my parents and the way I was raised.

• Members

This post cast the people who hire nannies in a bad light, and I'm am sure there are situations like this. However, please know that not everyone who grew up with a nanny thinks this way.

My parents were always involved in my life (however, if I while growing up I knew a man who always wanted to play football and never disciplined me, I'd prOBably wish he were my dad too). I lived over 800 miles away while prepping and they never missed one of my football games (a plane trip a week, at least ten times a year). If my mom missed some event of my childhood due to work, I knew it was because she was out there serving those less fortunate that we were which, in addition to being a mother, is one of her duties as a woman of her status. And my nanny was very involved in my life and still is (her and her family still holidays with us even though all the kids are grown). I think of her as part of the family, and she truly is. It's like having an aunt that lives with you and helps out when needed.

And changing diapers and cleaning up are not what makes an effective mother. It's the example you set and the nurture you provide. If there is one thing I have gathered from my childhood, it's that I am lucky. I have a debt that has been paid by someone else. Therefore, i have a greater burden, more of a responsibility, to go out and give up a part of my life for the good of others. It may be easy to say, "I can't, I'm needed at home," but that just isn't the case. I can afford to handle things at home, but others can't. Therefore, I must go out and do it. I must be that example to others. And I learned that from my parents and the way I was raised.

How very British you sound! I'm sure the difference in perspective is due mostly to culture. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't imagine sending my kids off to boarding school...It wouldn't seem right to me. That's not to say it isn't right...just that I don't think I could be the right kind of mom and do that. Perhaps others could. OBviously, you think your parents did the right thing.

• Members

you know what, I would love to hire a nanny myself. I am having a difficult time keeping up hearing's people high standard of speaking and writing . And my son is hearing and I don't know sign language. Being deaf, their standard for me was low which is how i was able to pass every grade in high school. I can't apply that same standard to our son.

If I had a deaf son, we would be equal.

• Members

yes and I am in a process of doing it, but It will take me a while. It's like learning Korean. The language is very backward from written or spoken form.

The only prOBlem is, in order for it to be useful, I need my son and my husband to learn it with me, or I lose the language.

I don't know what I would do in your husbands place, I know what I hope I would do, do that which would help my family.

I know nothing about sing language, never been around anyone who used it, and only seen it used on TV a very few times, but it looks like it would be difficult to learn, but them usually things that are wroth while are difficult.

Prayers that all will go well with this, I know it must be a hindrance at times.

• Members

I don't know what I would do in your husbands place, I know what I hope I would do, do that which would help my family.

I know nothing about sing language, never been around anyone who used it, and only seen it used on TV a very few times, but it looks like it would be difficult to learn, but them usually things that are wroth while are difficult.

Prayers that all will go well with this, I know it must be a hindrance at times.

Thank you, I spent all my life trying to fix my hearing -- hearing aids, cochlear implant, speakers, batteries, etc. and I'm just running out of money just to keep up with hearing people(kinda like keeping up with the Jones). Tomorrow, I have to take my son for a speech therapy evaluation to undo all the speech damage I've done to him . But again, thank you :)