• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When do you begin training your little one to sit still and not fuss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

A live in nanny is usually hired when parents are too busy with work. (yes, I know they are hired for other reasons too, but I'm just pointing out how a nanny make the situation worst)

A nanny sole focus is on their children.. which can give these children unnecessary attention because it is all about the children. I am a stay at home mom with one child and even I spoiled him with attention. If I had more than one children, I would spend more of love and attention to other children comfortably. I know a nanny can do the same, but its different when you are a parent. A nanny can not replace a mother.

A daycare is better. A child will not think he is the center of the attention.

A nanny is great for people with Autistic children or children who have medical prOBlems. It will ease the responsibilities for the mother.

• Administrators

I personally wouldn't want a nanny if I were able to stay home and rear my child(ren). And I did stay home with him for many years, thankfully. BUT! I also ran a small daycare in my home. And I have to say, if the mother works and they can afford it, I would say a nanny would be the best option. Although, if they could afford a nanny, chances are real good mom doesn't really need to work.

Ending demand feeding would really depend on the age and personality of a child, IMO. My son actually set himself in the correct schedule after a couple of months. He had severe colic for the first 6 months (due to the extreme prOBlems I had during pregnancy) and had to be held a lot at night, and was fed whenever he was hungry - for a while he couldn't hold any more than 2 ounces. By the time he hit 6 months old, when people were warning me that he would be horribly spoiled and OBese, his colic disappeared, he was eating on a solid schedule, still skinny as a rail - and, according to the church nursery workers - the happiest baby in the nursery.

BTW - I agree that the earlier the training the better! The parent just needs wisdom to know when to do what with each child. One child could be potty trained at 1 1/2 while another takes a bit longer.

• Members

Well, at least your not basing your views on t.v.

Anyone can spoil a child. My cousin is a stay at home mom with one child and the child has become her universe. It's all she talks about, all she is concerned with. It has totally consumed her. I'm not an expert or anything, but I can't imagine how that can be healthy for the child.

In my situation, though I know she loved me and cared for me, I was scared to deathof my nanny. If I got in trouble at school, I was punished by my nanny, then my parents. She controlled everything from my diet, to my time. It was far from a mother/child relationship and she didn't come close to being a substitute for either of my parents.

You prOBably don't agree with boarding schools either. As a testament to how unspoiled a person raised such as me is, I haven't lived at home since I was 12. From 12 to 18, I shared a bedroom and bathroom with three other boys. All of my possessions could fit into a small trunk. I was under constant supervision until about 7:00 p.m. every single day. Rules were strict, and punishment was severe. And I wouldn't change it for the world. If I ever have children, they'll be raised the same way, and will attend the same school that me, my father, grand father and great grandfather attended.

• Members

I personally wouldn't want a nanny if I were able to stay home and rear my child(ren). And I did stay home with him for many years, thankfully. BUT! I also ran a small daycare in my home. And I have to say, if the mother works and they can afford it, I would say a nanny would be the best option. Although, if they could afford a nanny, chances are real good mom doesn't really need to work.

Ending demand feeding would really depend on the age and personality of a child, IMO. My son actually set himself in the correct schedule after a couple of months. He had severe colic for the first 6 months (due to the extreme prOBlems I had during pregnancy) and had to be held a lot at night, and was fed whenever he was hungry - for a while he couldn't hold any more than 2 ounces. By the time he hit 6 months old, when people were warning me that he would be horribly spoiled and OBese, his colic disappeared, he was eating on a solid schedule, still skinny as a rail - and, according to the church nursery workers - the happiest baby in the nursery.

Sometimes a "real good mother" that doesn't work doesn't make her children the absolute center of her universe. In addition to being a loving and effectual mother, she may also run a charity, volunteer at a soup kitchen, and manage a large estate. She may take time to exercise and take care of herself. She may travel sometimes with her husband when he's on business in foreign lands. She may just need a little help and, if she can afford it and still maintain a healthy mother/child relationship, she should have that help. Even Sarah had Haggar.

• Administrators

Sometimes a "real good mother" that doesn't work doesn't make her children the absolute center of her universe. In addition to being a loving and effectual mother, she may also run a charity, volunteer at a soup kitchen, and manage a large estate. She may take time to exercise and take care of herself. She may travel sometimes with her husband when he's on business in foreign lands. She may just need a little help and, if she can afford it and still maintain a healthy mother/child relationship, she should have that help. Even Sarah had Haggar.

pt, you didn't understand my last sentence in the first paragraph. Maybe I should have put a comma after good - I meant that the it was quite likely that, if a family can afford a nanny, the mom doesn't need to work outside the home. I wasn't meaning that a "real good mom" wouldn't - I know too many great moms that have to work, to believe otherwise!!! My son was not the center of my universe - as I stated, I ran a small day care. I was (and am) active in my church and I volunteered for different things. So, please know I was not insinuating that working mothers cannot be good ones.

• Members

pt, you didn't understand my last sentence in the first paragraph. Maybe I should have put a comma after good - I meant that the it was quite likely that, if a family can afford a nanny, the mom doesn't need to work outside the home. I wasn't meaning that a "real good mom" wouldn't - I know too many great moms that have to work, to believe otherwise!!! My son was not the center of my universe - as I stated, I ran a small day care. I was (and am) active in my church and I volunteered for different things. So, please know I was not insinuating that working mothers cannot be good ones.

Understood, thanks for clarifying. I would also add that even non-working mother's that utilize a nanny can be good ones. My mom never "worked," she just didn't stay at home with the kids all day long.

• Administrators

I do agree that non-working moms can utilize a nanny as well. And I'm not saying that it would be wrong. I just personally enjoyed raising my son and wouldn't want a nanny. Now, if I had been able to have the 12 kids I always wanted, it might be a different story...:lol: