• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repairing a lampshade?

Anon

• Members

I got a used lamp on Ebay for my son's room...its a John Deere tractor on the base of the lamp, and after shipping it was less than half the price of a new one...very good deal. However the decorated shade has problems...it does have a hole (which is fine, it can be turned to the back and anyway my boys tend to mess around with stuff and it may be worse after he owns it for awhile!). But the inside plastic coating is all cracked and coming apart.

Is there anything I can tape up the inside of the shade with that will not melt or be caught on fire? I was thinking to wrap the inside with masking tape but I was not sure if that would be safe. I'd rather not replace the shade because it has a nice farm scene on it...but I guess eventually I can do that if I have to.

Not to mention it smells like a smoker's house. EWWW!

• Members

You might want to have the lamp rewired with new wiring and a new socket, for safety reasons. You can buy kits most anyplace that carries electrical supplies. Maybe you could get a new shade and glue or decoupage a cut out of a farm scene on it. I have a lamp on my desk that has a plastic liner and the lamp has a 60 watt bulb in it. The lamp has been on half the morning and the shade isn't hot at all.

• Members

I don't think its an *old* lamp....I've seen them selling new on Ebay as well as this used one. Its just not been taken well care of. I'll keep that in mind though if I feel its getting hot! I'll also keep in mind about a new shade...or maybe someone will have one they are selling that is new...

• Members

If that were mine and knowing that it has a "smoker's personna" reeking out all over it (The heat from the bulb has a tendency to aggravate this sort of thing) I'd do one of the following::::::::::::::::::::::

Option #1. Replace it:::::::::::::

Contact the manufacturer of the lamp and obtain a list of suitable replacement shades. Many times these mfr's have websites. Select one and order it.

Option #2. Rebuild it (I've actually done this one):::::::::::::

a. Knowing there are craft stores that have just about everything imaginable search for a place that has materials to make a new lamp shade. We have Michaels, A.C. Moore and others in our area.

b. When those appropriate materials are found and purchased tear that existing shade apart and save only the wire frame. Steel wool that wire frame really well. Then (spray) coat it with a polyurethane lacquer.

c. With the materials that you bought rebuild and recover the wire frame.

d. Steel wool the lamp itself and poly-coat it as well. This will go a long way towards getting rid of that smoker's odor.

• Members

Actually I saw online people selling lampshades covered in fabric...I got some John Deere fabric to make valences, I guess I could just buy a cheap lampshade and then cover it...