• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

POVERTY: WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS

• Administrators

September 23, 2009 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

The emerging church claims that Christians are responsible to solve the world’s poverty problem. They emphasize the need for a grand “social justice” program that will create heaven on earth, but it is a vain dream. The kingdom of God will not be established on earth until the King returns from heaven, and until then the Bible says that man will go from bad to worse.

The Bible’s recipe to reduce poverty is simple: obedience to God, honesty, thrift, diligence, and charity. Consider the following study from the Bible’s book of wisdom. This is from the Advanced Bible Studies Series course on Proverbs, published by Way of Life Literature.

Book of Proverbs: Advanced Bible Study Series (309 pages; $19.95)

Add Coil / Spiral Binding $1.00 (Allows the books to lay open flat when teaching)

Add Large Print and Coil Binding $2.00

WHAT PROVERBS SAYS ABOUT POVERTY

Proverbs 10:4, 15; 12:11; 13:18, 23; 14:20-21; 15:16-17; 17:1, 5; 18:23; 19:1, 4, 7, 17, 22; 20:13; 21:17; 22:2, 7, 16, 22-23; 23:20-21; 28:8, 11, 19, 22, 27; 29:7, 13; 30:8-9; 31:20

Billions of dollars in foreign aid have been poured into impoverished nations, but it hasn’t solved the poverty problem there, and billions of dollars in welfare money have poured into poverty relief in wealthy nations like America and England, but the poor are still poor. What foreign aid and welfare rarely if ever do is address the root problems underlying poverty. The book of Proverbs, on the other hand, goes right to the heart of the matter and does not gloss over underlying issues and human responsibility.

1. THE CAUSE OF POVERTY

a. Dealing with a slack hand results in poverty (Prov. 10:4; 20:13). This refers to being lazy, and this is certainly one of the root causes for poverty in this world. Many people loll around, avoiding work as much as possible, and if forced to get a job are not dependable or hard-working and are a frustration to their employers. The Bible says that those who do not work should not eat (2 Thess. 3:10). It is foolish and wrong to provide government support or private assistance to lazy people. It only makes them more lazy.

Posted at http://www.wayoflife.org/files/0540e2523ea3a9b3c42ecff846365220-421.html#unique-entry-id-421

• Members

Blind Bartimaeus was destitute and poor, so was Lazarus when he sat at the gate of the rich man. The Bible says alot about widows and fatherless children, and it repeatly mentions the responsibility to 'strengthen the hand of the poor"

Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. Ezekiel 16:49

True, some poverty is indeed brought on by laziness, but not always. There are millions of people in this world who work hard every day, but they live in squalor because of circumstances beyond their control. There are alot of folk in Africa who work very hard and are very poor. Do some research on the "untouchables" of India.

• Administrators

Who is this David Cloud? I have been seeing his name come up a lot, but I think I have read where he was a student of John macArthur, who denies the blood of Christ!

Here is what Bother Cloud believes on MacArthur
http://www.wayoflife.org/files/3e4bcd36c2d50f2201fbffb85f5803d8-73.html

• Members

Here is what Bother Cloud believes on MacArthur
http://www.wayoflife.org/files/3e4bcd36c2d50f2201fbffb85f5803d8-73.html

thank you Bro. Matt, It looks to me as if Bro Cloud is right on. I had dealt extensively with a MacArthurite at work years ago, and besides using the corrupt NIV, he also denies tithing with a term he coined called "grace giving". I am glad to hear that Bro. Cloud stands opposed to MacArthurs teachings. (I had heard mention of their names together, but didn't know the link between them, if there was any.) What it boils down to is that MacArthur is NOT a fundamentalist, although he claims to be; of course I already knew that because he does not believe in the inerent Word of God.

Also glad to see that he is from Michigan! (and not too far away either!)

• Members

Christians are not called to "solve the worlds poverty problem" and Christians are not called to work to get governments to do anything about poverty.

What Christians are called to do is to readily and lovingly give to the poor and needy personally and through their church.

Christians are especially called to lift up their needy brothers and sisters in Christ and to also help those not of the faith. Scripture teaches we are to seek a measure of equality (hate to use that word since it's been so corrupted) among ourselves (Christians). We are called to see that none has too little and none has too much. Those blessed with abundance are to use their abundance to be about the Lord's work of "doing unto the least of these", which Christ proclaims is the same as doing for Him.

We are to lay up treasures in heaven, not waste the money God provides for us here on so many unnecessary things.

When one looks to Scripture or even to believers in some other countries, we see how they share among themselves so that all have plenty. There is no hoarding and we don't see the poor and needy being neglected or tossed what amounts to just a bone.

The Word says a lot about the responsibility of Christians to care for the poor and needy. This should come from a heart surrendered to Christ and out of love for Christ.

• Members

Right.

It just seemed that Brother Could was making it look like laziness is the root cause of poverty. But the root cause of poverty is the same as the root cause of every sin: "the love of money is the root of all evil" the Bible says. How does that work?

And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

• Members

Right.

It just seemed that Brother Could was making it look like laziness is the root cause of poverty. But the root cause of poverty is the same as the root cause of every sin: "the love of money is the root of all evil" the Bible says. How does that work?

And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

I have heard the terms "Prosperity Gospel" and am not sure what they mean by it, but I do know that prosperity is from the Lord. Whether finacial, or otherwise, the Lord prospers us. There are, in fact, several verses that promise prosperity (not that it is earned, but more toward "rewarded") to those who dilignetly apply themselves or please the Lord in some fashion. I will list only a few of the more common verses"

Psa. 1:1-3 Meditating on the Word of God "day and night", or all the time. The promise is..."whatsoever he doeth shall prosper".

Joshua 1:7 speaks of strict obedience to the Word of God (for us). Though this was written to the Jews, the promises for God's people remain the same.

2Chron. 26:5 "...and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him to prosper." Concerning Uzziah, the 16 year old king, but true for all men everywhere.

A few others: Gen. 24:56~Gen. 39:3, 23~1 Kings 2:3~2 Kings 18:7~2 Chron. 31: 21~deut. 29:9 And many more!

want N.T. verse? ok, look at 1 Cor. 16:2 ("as God hath prospered him...") Admittedly there are less in the N.T. because they focus of it is on Christ and not prosperity; nonetheless, it is God that prospers us.

• Members

We can also look through Scripture, as well as history, to see that God does not prosper all His people financially. Scripture is also clear that those God does prosper are expected to use what God has given them for the benefit of spreading the Word and helping those in need.

• Members

We can also look through Scripture, as well as history, to see that God does not prosper all His people financially. Scripture is also clear that those God does prosper are expected to use what God has given them for the benefit of spreading the Word and helping those in need.

Absolutely right

• Members

I agree wholeheartedly. We ought to use everything we have to glorify the Lord; that is our purpose for being!

Sure there were people that He did not bless financially, but we do not know any of their cases or their status with the Lord. Those I mentioned, we do know. Besides, we have the same type of thing concernong the martyrs of old; the promise is for "long life" for the faithful, and protection from the Lord, but their seemed to be exceptions; I don't know why, but God knows' all I kniw is that He promises us even in Proverbs 3, as well as other places that he will prosper us, and I believe it.

• Members

In some cases it's the poor person's fault, like bad management, even by laziness.
But in other cases it's caused by circumstances beyond our control; like mental and physical handicaps, catastrophic financial loss, and sometimes by opression. An awful lot of poverty is caused by greed. There are a great many people in this world who work very hard, who are very poor. But there are great numbers of lazy people who are well off, who won't work or do very little work.

"idleness of time and fulness of bread" the Bible says