• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discipleship

Guest Guest

• Members

It was several years after I came to Christ before I was discipled. The lack of being discipled cost me greatly in my walk with the Lord and in my life in general.

I'm very thankful to the Lord for bringing someone into my life to provide what I didn't even realize I was missing.

I would that every church would put as much effort into discipling as they do into soul winning or pot lucks.

I never was "discipled" per se. The church I was saved in was a hyles type church and it didn't do to much of that. I learned mostly through Sunday school classes and the regular services. I was blessed to have good Sunday school teachers and I learned a great deal from them...

• Members

I've received discipleship in many different forms. Christian brothers, pastors, deacons, and last but not least the Lord, Holy Spirit, and God's Word. God never withheld some way to receive discipling. There was a time when I did not seek discipling but even then I was moved back to the Word. Herein is truth in the Christian life.

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Psalms 146:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise the LORD, O my soul.

• Members

I was saved at 7, never discipled (which in my view is defined loosly as "taught in the things of God" & "raised in the truths of the scriptures") and that failure or circumstance resulted in my spending many years in sin and living in a fruitless season lasting 13 yrs from my new birth.

My discipleship involved woodsheds, behind the barn trips, and flying fur. Trust me, God's "re-education" program is a doosie! Discipleship I now realize requires nothing more than a willingness to "see", a KJ Bible, and a sincere honest before God surrender to the lessons God provides. Its the ultimate "distance learning program" whereby you can sign up for lessons sent directly from Heaven. :lol

A Christian ought be in church (I'm a stickler for that) having learned hard lessons about neglecting it.
A Christian ought be in scripture!
A Christian ought be in fellowship (not just at church).
A Christian ought be in service (unless he's broken) in which case God repairs broken Christians (if he gets all the parts).
A Christian ought be in love (with lost souls and saved souls).

But thats plow boy country preacher edition and not suitable for children :Green

I needed to hear that Pastor Harrison. Thank you!! I love what you said about "God can repair broken christians...if he get's all the parts." I was struggling with the fact that my husband and I were never disciplied but my husband had no interest at that time. To his credit he was busy, overwhelmed and and later found out he was living with a major food allergy so bad that it produces neuological problems if undetected. I'll be attending discipleship classes thru the long distance program now. I hear the teacher is the best in the Universe!! Your sister in Christ Pixiedust

• Members

There was a discipleship course at the church but I only went to the first lesson then I stopped because there weren't any people close to my age there and we had to split in groups and answer questions. I've done one course online though and it made me understand a lot of things. So it depends on the person, but it is highly recommendable for new converts.

• Members

As a pastor of a church, I get solicitations and phone calls galore from various merchants trying to sell their latest greatest discipleship module, program and or system. It is a subject of intense discussion today....but the reality is, in my opinion, notice that in scripture there is no discipleship program in addition to the church.

A new believer, in the Biblical setting, WILL desire to be part of the body, assembly and church and will not have to be begged, invited or followed around to get them in - Christ within us does that. Converts all through the Bible were immediately found at church....no one had to beg them to come.

Being at church, a new convert will get under the preaching and teaching of the Bible and fellowship with the brethren, who themselves will welcome and love him IF they are believers.

In this manner a new believer will get all the discipleship needed over the course of their life - from the church as is the order. It is when a believer is not in that discipleship is neglected or fruitless or non-existent.

So my view as pastor is - get them in the pew, in the Sunday School class, in the fellowship, in the outreach. If we as a church do our part for the outward....the HolyGhost within a new convert will do his part on the inward.....

Works beautifully....

• Members
As a pastor of a church, I get solicitations and phone calls galore from various merchants trying to sell their latest greatest discipleship module, program and or system. It is a subject of intense discussion today....but the reality is, in my opinion, notice that in scripture there is no discipleship program in addition to the church.

A new believer, in the Biblical setting, WILL desire to be part of the body, assembly and church and will not have to be begged, invited or followed around to get them in - Christ within us does that. Converts all through the Bible were immediately found at church....no one had to beg them to come.

Being at church, a new convert will get under the preaching and teaching of the Bible and fellowship with the brethren, who themselves will welcome and love him IF they are believers.

In this manner a new believer will get all the discipleship needed over the course of their life - from the church as is the order. It is when a believer is not in that discipleship is neglected or fruitless or non-existent.

So my view as pastor is - get them in the pew, in the Sunday School class, in the fellowship, in the outreach. If we as a church do our part for the outward....the HolyGhost within a new convert will do his part on the inward.....

Works beautifully....

Such is great if there is a proper church filled with godly Christians. Such often isn't the case anymore. One can come to Christ and look around and find dozens upon dozens of churches all proclaiming to be Christian even while many have very different teachings.

It's also a sad fact that even among churches with biblically sound preaching and teaching, the congregation often simply scatters after church. There is very little real fellowship and few bother to welcome new comers and make them a part of the church family.

I do agree a church should be as you say, but that's often not the case. American Christians especially seem to love their "independence". They gather for church but outside of church there is little, if any, contact between members.

I also agree that many of the "programs" and such that are being touted are often not worth the paper they are printed upon or are not what is needed.

Just as Phillip was sent to the Ethiopian eunech, new believers as well as those who are sincerlely seeking the Lord, need mature believers to come beside them and help them to understand the Word of God.

It seems most American Christians believe this is the job of "professionals" (pastors and Sunday school teachers) and are not thinking about discipling others.

While our pastor constantly encourages folks to participate in all the church has to offer (regular services, special services, Sunday school, Bible studies, etc.) he also encourages us to get together outside of church, to be busy serving Christ throughout the week, to welcome newcomers and to build friendships among our brothers and sisters in Christ.

• Members

Such is great if there is a proper church filled with godly Christians. Such often isn't the case anymore. One can come to Christ and look around and find dozens upon dozens of churches all proclaiming to be Christian even while many have very different teachings.

It's also a sad fact that even among churches with biblically sound preaching and teaching, the congregation often simply scatters after church. There is very little real fellowship and few bother to welcome new comers and make them a part of the church family.

I do agree a church should be as you say, but that's often not the case. American Christians especially seem to love their "independence". They gather for church but outside of church there is little, if any, contact between members.

I also agree that many of the "programs" and such that are being touted are often not worth the paper they are printed upon or are not what is needed.

Just as Phillip was sent to the Ethiopian eunech, new believers as well as those who are sincerlely seeking the Lord, need mature believers to come beside them and help them to understand the Word of God.

It seems most American Christians believe this is the job of "professionals" (pastors and Sunday school teachers) and are not thinking about discipling others.

While our pastor constantly encourages folks to participate in all the church has to offer (regular services, special services, Sunday school, Bible studies, etc.) he also encourages us to get together outside of church, to be busy serving Christ throughout the week, to welcome newcomers and to build friendships among our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Very good points and well said Brother.