• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Billy Sunday was "born into" Christianity

holster

• Members

Rush Limbaugh radio today... (slightly paraphrased)

Caller: Rush, I know Billy Sunday had several campaigns in Cape Girardeau. Do you happen to know how he became a Christian?

Rush: He was born into it just like me. His family was a Christian family so he was a Christian.

• Members

Rush Limbaugh radio today... (slightly paraphrased)

Caller: Rush, I know Billy Sunday had several campaigns in Cape Girardeau. Do you happen to know how he became a Christian?

Rush: He was born into it just like me. His family was a Christian family so he was a Christian.

Rush apparently needs to be "educated" on the truths of God's Word.

Romans 5:12 plainly tells us that by one man's sin (Adam's), we all have sin....and death because of that sin. Only one way out.........JESUS BLOOD !!!!!

• Members

I'm constantly amazed at the large number of very conservative Christians who listen faithfully to Rush Limbaugh when it is clear he is not a truly saved Christian man. They waste an awful lot of time listening to him, rather than listening to good preaching and such simply because he represents "conservative values." He's an unabashed Cigar smoker and drinker of "adult beverages," as he would say (yes I've heard him a few times before I decided he's just not for me) and of the world!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I don't listen to him either, but I have been told that he does help to expose some things in political realms that you won't hear about on the news and will say - if that is true - it's good that some tolerate him so that we all can be more educated on what is actually going on.

• Members

I was born into Christianity August 27, 1961, of course that was my 2nd birth, my 1st birth being December 1946.

Of course we all know that was not what Rush Limbaugh was referring to, he feels if one is born into what he refers to as a Christain family, that makes them of the family of God.

I listen a lot less to Rush Limbaugh since I found I could pick up Dennis Prager and other conservative people on a AM station.

• Members

I need to clarify something here after re-reading my original post. It is somewhat misleading as I left out a major point... The caller was asking about Rush's grandfather or great-grandfather and he suspect that Rush's relative may have gotten saved listening to Billy Sunday. Rush then said "He was born into it," referring to his relative.. NOT Billy Sunday! I'm sorry my post was mis-leading.

• Members

he definitely don't know what make one a christian (well, salvation). He must one of those people who think if he was raised in a christian home, then he is a christian too...

Or believe in calvinism or maybe infant baptism.

I need to clarify something here after re-reading my original post. It is somewhat misleading as I left out a major point... The caller was asking about Rush's grandfather or great-grandfather and he suspect that Rush's relative may have gotten saved listening to Billy Sunday. Rush then said "He was born into it," referring to his relative.. NOT Billy Sunday! I'm sorry my post was mis-leading.

No one can be "born" into christian. I think that's what Rush is referring to after the caller mentioned about his relative being saved.. I think Rush wanted to dispute that and want to believe he have always been that way.who knows?

• Members

I rarely listen to Rush, I agree with his conservative views but he's too full of himself and considers himself God's gift to us. I don't listen to Hannity much any more either, he just repeats the same things over and over. My favorites are Glenn Beck, Dennis Praeger, and Michael Medved. I don't listen to these people for spiritual growth, I know they aren't saved but it's important to get the conservative side of the news (we already get the left side from the main stream media who by the way aren't saved either). There are many important issues going on in this country that the left don't want you knowing.

• Members

I detest Rush and think he is nothing more than a petty propagandist fear monger that distorts the truth to appeal to a fanatical base as a means of accumulating an earthly fortune. However, I think he might have been referring to the fact that the reason the vast majority of us accept Christ sometime in our lives is that we are born in to Christian homes to Christian parents who take us to church and do everything they can to lead us to Christ. And for those instances in which this is not the case, we are born into a society in which the majority of people that practice a religion, practice Christianity, thereby increasing the chances that we will be lead to and accept Christ as opposed to some other religion. In other words, you are not a bonafide Christian solely by virtue of being born to Christian parents or into a Christian society, but you are most likely exposed to Christ because you were born to Christian parents, or in a Christian society. The same is true for most Muslims, Mormons and Buddhist. They are what their parents are.

On a similar note, I heard one of the host of AFA Reports (can't remember his name) discussing how rebellious today's youth is and how quickly they turn away from their parents. As part of the discussion, he said something to the effect of, "the days are gone when parents could say to their children, 'this is what I believe and you are going to believe it to.'" He seemed to be implying that a parents could command or compel their children's faith in Christ, i.e., take away the personal acceptance part of the whole deal. I was a little disturbed by his comment to say the least and was actually surprised that none of the other hosts corrected him.

In any event, it's prOBably not wise for us to take one sentence out of persons mouth and jump to conclusions. We all have slips of tongue and all sometimes say things in a manner that does not clearly establish what we really mean.

• Members

I detest Rush and think he is nothing more than a petty propagandist fear monger that distorts the truth to appeal to a fanatical base as a means of accumulating an earthly fortune. However, I think he might have been referring to the fact that the reason the vast majority of us accept Christ sometime in our lives is that we are born in to Christian homes to Christian parents who take us to church and do everything they can to lead us to Christ. And for those instances in which this is not the case, we are born into a society in which the majority of people that practice a religion, practice Christianity, thereby increasing the chances that we will be lead to and accept Christ as opposed to some other religion. In other words, you are not a bonafide Christian solely by virtue of being born to Christian parents or into a Christian society, but you are most likely exposed to Christ because you were born to Christian parents, or in a Christian society. The same is true for most Muslims, Mormons and Buddhist. They are what their parents are.

On a similar note, I heard one of the host of AFA Reports (can't remember his name) discussing how rebellious today's youth is and how quickly they turn away from their parents. As part of the discussion, he said something to the effect of, "the days are gone when parents could say to their children, 'this is what I believe and you are going to believe it to.'" He seemed to be implying that a parents could command or compel their children's faith in Christ, i.e., take away the personal acceptance part of the whole deal. I was a little disturbed by his comment to say the least and was actually surprised that none of the other hosts corrected him.

In any event, it's prOBably not wise for us to take one sentence out of persons mouth and jump to conclusions. We all have slips of tongue and all sometimes say things in a manner that does not clearly establish what we really mean.

I'm quite amazed at the people you defend, its as if you stand strongly against the basic distinetives that set Baptist apart from all others.

I've heard Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity Bill O'Reilly, Laura Ingraham, all express your born into a Christian family. Which I expect to hear Sean Hannity Bill O'Reilly, Laura Ingraham say this because they are all of the Roman Catholic Church of which is a man made church built upon sand not the "Rock.". I have no idea what Rush Limbaugh is, but from what he proclaims he has never met the Christ.

In any event its always wise to point out false teachers. God told us how to know the difference between false teachers and those who held to His truths.

You shall know them by their fruit.