• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Do Grading Systems Skip "E"?

• Members

DH wants to know...:frog:

He thinks E should come after D. I said it was because F stands for failing. He said that A-D don't have a word that goes along with it. He also said that where he went to school, (WV...I don't hold that against him :bleh:) they used E along with A-D and F.

I honestly have never heard why but did find a reasonable explanation after doing a Google search.

Some schools use E between D and F and call it a passing fail. It is failing but because of the student's effort, they are passed anyway.

Also, Elementary grades usually use a progressional grading system where E = Excellent, S = Satisfactory and N = Needs Improvement. I guess whoever invented the system didn't want to mix up the systems?

• Members

DH wants to know...:frog:
Also, Elementary grades usually use a progressional grading system where E = Excellent, S = Satisfactory and N = Needs Improvement. I guess whoever invented the system didn't want to mix up the systems?

The school I went to waaaaaaay back (almost in prehistoric times :icon_mrgreen: ) did it that way too. For courses like Phys. Ed., Driver Training, etc. there were no other letter grades than E = Excellent. Other than that it was P= pass and F = fail. The other letters, A thru F but skipping E, were reserved for the the classical courses, math, languages, history, etc.

• Moderators

Neither our school nor Bible college has a "D" grade.
Even state electrical exams require 75%.

If you can't answer 3/4 of the questions accurately, you don't know the subject matter.

If a large percentage of the class can't pass, the teacher (or curriculum) have problems.

• Members

But they do pass "D" grades, at least in my school, they did... happened all the time. I've witnessed it.

I don't think they really want to fail kids that would make them drop out or not keep up with their classmates. Some of my relatives dropped out because they kept failing.. so eventually they gave up and dropped out because it was too embarrassing to be the oldest kid in class.

• Members

I always thought it was that F stood for failure. Plus, as others have said that elementary schools used E for excellent for some things.

Neither our school nor Bible college has a "D" grade.
Even state electrical exams require 75%.

If you can't answer 3/4 of the questions accurately, you don't know the subject matter.

If a large percentage of the class can't pass, the teacher (or curriculum) have problems.

I now several schools that don't have D's. If you don't get a C then you don't pass.