• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"book" twist on "woman teaching" subject

• Members

It does offer us freedom, liberty, but never the freedom to stray from God's will and His ways.

Precisely! That is why I said, "living by God's Word allows us freedom from the made up rules of the modern day Pharisees and hypocrites, while we are free to serve the Living God in righteousness and holiness as his Word and Spirit lead."

You see there be those modern day Pharisees and hypocrites who attempt to put weighty rules and regulations (nOT found in God's Holy Word) upon those of us who live by God's Word. They conjure up doctrines and teachings that go beyond clear and plain instruction from God's Word in order to put OThers in bondage or to make themselves look the better.
  • Mt 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
  • Lu 11:43 Woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye love the uppermost seats in the synagogues, and greetings in the markets.

You see, the one who truly knows the Lord Jesus Christ knows that our liberty is freedom to serve God according to his Word and we no longer have to live by OTher man's "word," even when they try to make us feel guilty for nOT seeing it their way.

• [*]Jas

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've nOT nOTiced anyone here who is "against women".

I'm nOT sure how much in this specific thread, but there are a couple OThers along the same lines currently going, but some have posted their Scriptural basis regarding biblical and unbiblical roles for women (and for men in some cases).

Certainly, with regards to some verses anyway, there is room for discussion as to the proper interpretation of a particular verse. In such cases that's something which can be discussed and where we can study the whole of Scripture to see what over verses support or refute a particular interpretation in order to learn the truth.

Someone simply proclaiming, "A woman can be a preacher because she has great biblical insight;" or someone saying, "It's unbiblical for a man to read a magazine article written by a woman;" without putting forth a Scriptural basis gets us nowhere.

We must begin with a specific verse or verses and see what they say. Then search out OTher related verses to get an overall picture. Then we are to rightly divide what we discover.

If and when we skip this process, especially when discussing a disputed issue, we are dealing with nOThing solid.

• Members

irishman, I don't think you are in trouble. I just think you are wrong. I used to have that kind of thinking when I was first saved and young in my marriage. After being saved for about 30 years, studying the Scriptures and being married a bit over 30 years, I can tell you that are missing out on 50% of the blessings, learning and wisdom that God has equipped a woman to provide the you, me and the world.

123 I see that you do not spare the words. I too have been saved for over 30 years, and have been married for 36 years, and have studied the Scriptures for close to 40 years, and diligently, I might add. I am still happily married to the same woman! We did not know harmony in our marriage for many years until we realized the roles that God meant for us. I resent your inuendos that someone of this persuasion is a hypocrite and only trying to impress other IFB men. For one thing, you have no right to state that as a fact since you cannot prove otherwise any more than you clainm I can't prove my conviction in the matter.

Here is another quote by you: "Precisely! That is why I said, "living by God's Word allows us freedom from the made up rules of the modern day Pharisees and hypocrites, while we are free to serve the Living God in righteousness and holiness as his Word and Spirit lead."

You see there be those modern day Pharisees and hypocrites who attempt to put weighty rules and regulations (not found in God's Holy Word) upon those of us who live by God's Word. They conjure up doctrines and teachings that go beyond clear and plain instruction from God's Word in order to put others in bondage or to make themselves look the better."

It is common sense as well as Scriptural that woman was made FOR man and man was made for God. Perhaps you are a speed reader and don't see the truth of the Bible. I could say that all those years don't mean much if you have not the wisdom and discernment to see the truth of the Scripture, instead of sniveling and trembling in the presence of a woman. I would think a real man thinks the same way, because he was made that way. It is only those that are suppressed by modern thinking that get the roles reversed and end up confusing themselves as to which one is the husband, and which is the wife. Your silly statements make no sense, and have little to do with the subject at hand; the Scripture you quote can be applied to many things, they have nothing to do with this post.

You don't have to agree, but try being a little cordial if you wish to continue this charade, otherwise, hang up and give the phone to your wife!

• Members

123 I see that you do not spare the words. I too have been saved for over 30 years, and have been married for 36 years, and have studied the Scriptures for close to 40 years, and diligently, I might add. I am still happily married to the same woman! We did not know harmony in our marriage for many years until we realized the roles that God meant for us. I resent your inuendos that someone of this persuasion is a hypocrite and only trying to impress other IFB men. For one thing, you have no right to state that as a fact since you cannot prove otherwise any more than you clainm I can't prove my conviction in the matter.

Here is another quote by you: "Precisely! That is why I said, "living by God's Word allows us freedom from the made up rules of the modern day Pharisees and hypocrites, while we are free to serve the Living God in righteousness and holiness as his Word and Spirit lead."

You see there be those modern day Pharisees and hypocrites who attempt to put weighty rules and regulations (not found in God's Holy Word) upon those of us who live by God's Word. They conjure up doctrines and teachings that go beyond clear and plain instruction from God's Word in order to put others in bondage or to make themselves look the better."

It is common sense as well as Scriptural that woman was made FOR man and man was made for God. Perhaps you are a speed reader and don't see the truth of the Bible. I could say that all those years don't mean much if you have not the wisdom and discernment to see the truth of the Scripture, instead of sniveling and trembling in the presence of a woman. I would think a real man thinks the same way, because he was made that way. It is only those that are suppressed by modern thinking that get the roles reversed and end up confusing themselves as to which one is the husband, and which is the wife. Your silly statements make no sense, and have little to do with the subject at hand; the Scripture you quote can be applied to many things, they have nothing to do with this post.

You don't have to agree, but try being a little cordial if you wish to continue this charade, otherwise, hang up and give the phone to your wife!

Where there is no choice, there is no liberty. We have 2 choices, follow God or not follow God, thankful such choice has no effect on our salvation although if we are saved and we don't follow God, we will not enjoy the consequences.

I ignored his years, just for the record I've been save for 48 years, I've been married for 41 years. But really, what does he think that has to do with it? The position we stand in our Christian maturity is what counts. One can be saved 10, 20, 30 ,40, 50, or more years and be a babe in Christ.

Perhaps he thought it might impress someone. I don't know about others, but as for me it did not impress me.

• Members

Please try to understand! I'm a women in subjection to my husband because the Lord commands this type of obbedience. If we don't have men to fill the leadership roles in the church for certain programs than I'm persuaded He doesn't want that program -in that church -until a man will fill that roll. As a man I don't think you can really understand the heart of a women that desires those "role's of authority." Maybe she's never been in an all male lead church. It is a true blessing! Women need their husbands in contol at home as well as needing male leadership in the church. I want so much to explain but only a women married desiring her husband's baby can understand that situation. Only women desiring a Holy church set apart for the Lord can understand the desire for a male lead church. Perhaps this may come as "way out there " to some of you. All I can say is that many women I know we talk about it and all feel the same way--when the men are kind to us--we so much want, need, respect and believe we will only flourish with true male leadership --serving,loving, and disciplining other men in the church. Then walking along side those men to reach out and lead their own families in love and sterness when needed. How can men not understand our roles are different? We're not made the same! When will men see this and step up to serve the Lord in their families and local church? So many of us are trying to serve the Lord while waiting for that moment to take place. Please pray about where the Lord would have you serve in your local church. Only then will we see true change and real Revival. I only spoke in love. If I offend you please forgive me but please don't offend the Lord. Praying for you all here daily in Christ's love.

• Members

Please try to understand! I'm a women in subjection to my husband because the Lord commands this type of obbedience. If we don't have men to fill the leadership roles in the church for certain programs than I'm persuaded He doesn't want that program -in that church -until a man will fill that roll. As a man I don't think you can really understand the heart of a women that desires those "role's of authority." Maybe she's never been in an all male lead church. It is a true blessing! Women need their husbands in contol at home as well as needing male leadership in the church. I want so much to explain but only a women married desiring her husband's baby can understand that situation. Only women desiring a Holy church set apart for the Lord can understand the desire for a male lead church. Perhaps this may come as "way out there " to some of you. All I can say is that many women I know we talk about it and all feel the same way--when the men are kind to us--we so much want, need, respect and believe we will only flourish with true male leadership --serving,loving, and disciplining other men in the church. Then walking along side those men to reach out and lead their own families in love and sterness when needed. How can men not understand our roles are different? We're not made the same! When will men see this and step up to serve the Lord in their families and local church? So many of us are trying to serve the Lord while waiting for that moment to take place. Please pray about where the Lord would have you serve in your local church. Only then will we see true change and real Revival. I only spoke in love. If I offend you please forgive me but please don't offend the Lord. Praying for you all here daily in Christ's love.

Very well put, and from the heart of a woman! Thank you for that, it is encouraging because these days we expect anger and reproach for discussions such as this.

It isn't necessarily Scriptural as far as a verse is concerned, but in view of your post, it is no wonder that one preacher put it this way:

The man is the head, and the woman the heart of the home" We know that no body could function if the head or the heart were to give out.

It just occured to me that 123 might be a woman! If so, I understand her angry retort; I pray that she woulf fine her place in the family and in the church.

• Members

:thumb::amen:

• Members

Besides what has already been mentioned in this thread, part of the problem in churches today is that older Christian men and women have failed to train up the younger ones.

Scripture commands that older men and women train, instruct and guide their younger counterparts. We are not to muture in Christ for our sakes alone but also so we may glorify God by sharing our God-given wisdom and understanding with our younger brothers or sisters in Christ.

• Members

I'm praying and asking God which way to respond:

Pr

• Members

Christian's- all of us -are saved by grace!!! How can we stop making these jabes ? I'm just as guilty!! Yet sinful behavior never just goes away!!!! My desire is that this behaviour will just simply not be seen on OB anymore. We also experience this in our daily lives!!!! I praise the LORD that my husband worked hard to finish school yet I went into kidney failure while he was finishing his internship. That meant he was at the Hospital on average 72 hrs. per week. But what did people do at church when they saw a need? Ignored it, said they would come by and then did nothing. (This wasn't a Baptist church but we had been there 7 yrs. and came to every sevice.) They may hope someone will help-just it's you or me- but the Lord has called us to be His hand's and feet!!! I have a christian cookbook my Grandmother allowed me to read when I was much younger and now is mine. Inside is a saying that has touched me for many years, " Alway's remember- you're the only Bible some people ever read!" Never forgot sharing that quote with my Grandfather. He looked me square in the eye's and ask me. "Are they seeing Jesus in the Bible their reading?" My question is to all of us at OB. In our conversation's, prayers and concerns,discussion's ...Are they seeing Jesus here?" I have thing's I need prayer to change and I'm asking for you to pray that the Lord will show me where to start and how to show them Jesus on these pages. Will you join in that endeavor? Please Lord allow OB to show people Jesus on these pages to your Glory not any of our's!!! Serving Him the best way I know--thru loving my brothers and sisters in Christ!!! Loving you thru praying,asking Him to allow me to see you how He see's you and to love you with His love!!! He is the Almighty and the mighty God, The Only Saviour, The Word , Emmanuel, the I AM and He will return-this same Jesus-standing with His feet again on Mt. Olivet!!

• Members

Christian's- all of us -are saved by grace!!! How can we stop making these jabes ? I'm just as guilty!! Yet sinful behavior never just goes away!!!! My desire is that this behaviour will just simply not be seen on OB anymore. We also experience this in our daily lives!!!! I praise the LORD that my husband worked hard to finish school yet I went into kidney failure while he was finishing his internship. That meant he was at the Hospital on average 72 hrs. per week. But what did people do at church when they saw a need? Ignored it, said they would come by and then did nothing. (This wasn't a Baptist church but we had been there 7 yrs. and came to every sevice.) They may hope someone will help-just it's you or me- but the Lord has called us to be His hand's and feet!!! I have a christian cookbook my Grandmother allowed me to read when I was much younger and now is mine. Inside is a saying that has touched me for many years, " Alway's remember- you're the only Bible some people ever read!" Never forgot sharing that quote with my Grandfather. He looked me square in the eye's and ask me. "Are they seeing Jesus in the Bible their reading?" My question is to all of us at OB. In our conversation's, prayers and concerns,discussion's ...Are they seeing Jesus here?" I have thing's I need prayer to change and I'm asking for you to pray that the Lord will show me where to start and how to show them Jesus on these pages. Will you join in that endeavor? Please Lord allow OB to show people Jesus on these pages to your Glory not any of our's!!! Serving Him the best way I know--thru loving my brothers and sisters in Christ!!! Loving you thru praying,asking Him to allow me to see you how He see's you and to love you with His love!!! He is the Almighty and the mighty God, The Only Saviour, The Word , Emmanuel, the I AM and He will return-this same Jesus-standing with His feet again on Mt. Olivet!!

I knew that this thread would not be well recieved, but are we to simply shut up, and not expound the Truth where it is needed? "Is there not a cause?" I agree that the sarcasm can leave, and the slanders have no place here, but the truth is worthy of acceptance, whether here, or in the home or church. A forum, I suppose, is for fellowship, but what sort of fellowship do we all have in common? Christ, and probably Him only. My objective is to help others...and glean what good I can get for my life from this forum; if Scriptural truths and principles are replaced by goodwill, and good wishes, then we become a secular forum with no real purpose. What strength is there in fellowship, after all, except that one might grow by it; or one might exult and glorify the Lord by it? No, I do not think we should do away with discussions of this type--the opposition proves that there is a need for it!

I will say that I had no intention of deliberately offending anyone, but I too get in the flesh, especially when I feel I am being attacked personally. I am sorry when this happens, and I hope to do better with the Lord's help, but I cannot retract any statement that was made about the particular subject per se, because to do so would violate both my conscience, and scriptural principles.

• Members

I am openly writing to everyone to know I never intended this toward Irishman!! Irishman I'm sorry I have insulted you when that was never my intention!!!! If The Truth isn't spoken here then you are absolutely correct...then we will only be a secular sight!! Men speak differently towards one another and this seem harsh at times but that's why your men and I'm not because you deal with people differently! Where I placed my paragraph was thoughtless on my part. It was written out of my inability to not respond in anger towards another individual in this thread. I'm so very sorry I have offended you !!! Please forgive me for insulting you!! His by Grace ...because I have no righteousness of my own!

I knew that this thread would not be well recieved, but are we to simply shut up, and not expound the Truth where it is needed? "Is there not a cause?" I agree that the sarcasm can leave, and the slanders have no place here, but the truth is worthy of acceptance, whether here, or in the home or church. A forum, I suppose, is for fellowship, but what sort of fellowship do we all have in common? Christ, and probably Him only. My objective is to help others...and glean what good I can get for my life from this forum; if Scriptural truths and principles are replaced by goodwill, and good wishes, then we become a secular forum with no real purpose. What strength is there in fellowship, after all, except that one might grow by it; or one might exult and glorify the Lord by it? No, I do not think we should do away with discussions of this type--the opposition proves that there is a need for it!

I will say that I had no intention of deliberately offending anyone, but I too get in the flesh, especially when I feel I am being attacked personally. I am sorry when this happens, and I hope to do better with the Lord's help, but I cannot retract any statement that was made about the particular subject per se, because to do so would violate both my conscience, and scriptural principles.

• Administrators

Whew - trc, you know how to push the buttons!! :lol:

Regarding Mears' book - I personally like it (I am a woman...:icon_mrgreen:). I don't think it's a problem for men to read this particular one, and here are my thoughts why:

First, the Bible is clear that a woman is not to usurp authority over a man...and when looking into the meaning of that teaching, it becomes clear that what is intended is doctrinal teaching. We've hashed out whether or not it affects every area of life, or just in the church (I believe that it would extend into "religious classes" in a university situation as well...unless, perhaps, it is just the history of Bible times). I don't believe that it affects every area of life, as I've stated before (and it isn't because of feminism...I hate, hate, hate what feminism has done to this country and Christianity!!!). But....

I do believe that it would extend to books that are teaching doctrine. Is it wrong for a woman to write such a book? I don't believe it is - whether as a ghost writer (in such a case she is helping the man) or as the actual writer. In fact, I have several written by women....but they are written FOR women as well (and, truly, unless the books are strictly women's issues, there needs to be male oversight...).

As I said, I don't think it's wrong, but I do think there is a limitation. I think that they should be written for other women. Again, because it is doctrine. See, there are women who have written books dealing with doctrine and really messed things up!! If, however, they were to write such a book with male oversight, perhaps that wouldn't be the case (not saying men can't make mistakes, btw).

In the case of the book mentioned in the OP, I don't think that necessarily falls under doctrine. Each chapter is a summary of a book in the Bible. There is no real doctrine in there. Just summarization. It's an interesting read, too.

So, to sum up what I'm saying (and maybe make it more understandable...I do have a tendency to ramble :lol:):

I don't think a doctrinal book written by a woman is wrong, if:
there is male oversight, and/or
it is written for women

What the Bible is all About doesn't fit into the doctrinal category, since it is actually a summary, so I don't see a problem with a man reading this, anymore than a history book written by a woman... (and I don't believe that a woman writing an academic book is wrong, because God gave the woman the ability to do so!!)

• Members

Whew - trc, you know how to push the buttons!! :lol:

Regarding Mears' book - I personally like it (I am a woman...:icon_mrgreen:). I don't think it's a problem for men to read this particular one, and here are my thoughts why:

First, the Bible is clear that a woman is not to usurp authority over a man...and when looking into the meaning of that teaching, it becomes clear that what is intended is doctrinal teaching. We've hashed out whether or not it affects every area of life, or just in the church (I believe that it would extend into "religious classes" in a university situation as well...unless, perhaps, it is just the history of Bible times). I don't believe that it affects every area of life, as I've stated before (and it isn't because of feminism...I hate, hate, hate what feminism has done to this country and Christianity!!!). But....

I do believe that it would extend to books that are teaching doctrine. Is it wrong for a woman to write such a book? I don't believe it is - whether as a ghost writer (in such a case she is helping the man) or as the actual writer. In fact, I have several written by women....but they are written FOR women as well (and, truly, unless the books are strictly women's issues, there needs to be male oversight...).

As I said, I don't think it's wrong, but I do think there is a limitation. I think that they should be written for other women. Again, because it is doctrine. See, there are women who have written books dealing with doctrine and really messed things up!! If, however, they were to write such a book with male oversight, perhaps that wouldn't be the case (not saying men can't make mistakes, btw).

In the case of the book mentioned in the OP, I don't think that necessarily falls under doctrine. Each chapter is a summary of a book in the Bible. There is no real doctrine in there. Just summarization. It's an interesting read, too.

So, to sum up what I'm saying (and maybe make it more understandable...I do have a tendency to ramble :lol:):

I don't think a doctrinal book written by a woman is wrong, if:
there is male oversight, and/or
it is written for women

What the Bible is all About doesn't fit into the doctrinal category, since it is actually a summary, so I don't see a problem with a man reading this, anymore than a history book written by a woman... (and I don't believe that a woman writing an academic book is wrong, because God gave the woman the ability to do so!!)

"Womens" books sre written by (usually) over-smart women. It is an excuse to "preach" (to women, of course). The desire is still there...even Eve was wanting more knowledge, and look at the result of that!

• Administrators

"Womens" books sre written by (usually) over-smart women. It is an excuse to "preach" (to women, of course). The desire is still there...even Eve was wanting more knowledge, and look at the result of that!

Well, I don't agree with you there, completely. I do believe that there are many books written by women who are using it as an excuse to "preach." But I don't think that all books written by women for women should be put into that category.

And I have several books on my shelves at home that are not "preaching," nor are they written by over-smart women. They are teaching principles that are bibical, and are written by women who have a burden for other women.

Writing can be a ministry for women, just as it is for some men.