• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"book" twist on "woman teaching" subject

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I just want to make a couple of notes here. One, I can see more than one person "reading into" other's posts. While some of us here don't always bring the most eloquent speech to the site and sometimes end up offending others with there crude (meaning unrefined for those of you who exchange "rude" for "crude") and straight responses, Jerry has made maybe the most accurate statement in the last page: if we will choose to stay in our roles, many times those around us will choose to step into there roles as well. This comes from the teaching in 1 Peter 3:

1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.
3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
5 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

My very dearest friend here at OB was in the situation of having a husband that would not be the leader of his house. I continually encouraged her to heed the teachings of this scripture and to focus on doing her role that God gave her and to not be filled with anger or spite towards her husband, but to love him. Also, not to try to take the lead, but patiently wait in prayer for her husband to choose to lead. My understanding is that over the past year, their lives have changed entirely and he is becoming that man of God she desired for him to be. All that came thorugh God's blessing that woman who chose to, instead of trying to either force her husband to do his role or to try and do it for him, fulfill her role simply on faith that God's grace was sufficient for her.

All that said, I think making an excuse for women who choose to try to live outside of their God given roles such as lack of husband's leadership is a big mistake and tries to make a positive out of two negatives. While it might work in math, it doesn't work in life and it doesn't work with God.

God bless to all,

Futurehope

• Members

You do bring up some good points Jerry about the importance of each of us filling the roles God has for us and not trying to fill the roles of others who may not be doing their part.

God has specific areas for each of us to tend to and we are to give ourselves wholeheartidely to these. If we are busy worrying about what others are neglecting or attempting to make up for their slack then we are taking ourselves away from fulfilling what God has for us to do.

There are some who argue that since there is no man stepping up to preach then that means a woman "has to" step up and do it. No, Scripture does not say that. What Scripture does say, is that the woman should be about what God has commanded of her. If the woman truly wants a preaching position filled she should busy herself praying for God to provide the man He would have to fill that position. As she patiently awaits God to send that man, she should be about her biblical duties; not taking up preaching.

:amen::amen::amen::thumb: Guess I missed this one, good post John and exactly what I hope came through in my much longer post. :lol:

• Members

Well, some good thoughts have been presented here, but has anything been accomplished? My thoughts have been expressed and I will stick with them, as I have seen no reason not to, but i would like to say to all of us...
Be careful of knowledge, and the lust for knowledge("knowledge puffeth up"); it can be obtained in may ways, but true wisdom only comes from the Lord. I believe that Eve's problem was the lust for knowledge, and the desire to share it with Adam--hence, the fall of man.

One can have knowledge without wisdom, but scarcely will have wisdom without knowledge. I think we see this in many areas of the church today, among both men and women. often the man's teaching is to show everyone how smart he is, and not for the edification of others, and the glory of God. Those are two factors of true knowledge. (Example? You don't want to know!!)

I sincerely hope that I have not been offensive in airing my views, but I also hope to stand firm upon that which I view as scriptural truth; sometimes the two seem to conflict though. When this happens, I must stand with truth no matter who it offendeds, as I am sure most of you would also do. Of course, the real offense is often in the delivery and the choice of words, and not actually in the truth of the matter. Sorry if this is the case with any of you. I assure you that it was not to "pick on women" but to add to their lives the harmony and joy of realizing the importance of roles in our lives, and the striving to get into the right place for the betterment of the entire family, and our relationshiop with the Lord.

Let me say, at last, that both parties help the other to find, and maintain their roles. When the man is the right sort of husband, the wife usually falls in line with him; when the woman gets into her rightful place, the man can relax, and he too begins to take the leadershiop role. They are working together to promote one another in their proper roles. Yes men, much of it depends on us if our wives are not submissive; we need to quit preaching (nagging) them, and get working on our relationship to the Lord and His role for us in scripture; after all. we are the leaders!

• Members

Well, some good thoughts have been presented here, but has anything been accomplished? My thoughts have been expressed and I will stick with them, as I have seen no reason not to, but i would like to say to all of us...
Be careful of knowledge, and the lust for knowledge("knowledge puffeth up"); it can be obtained in may ways, but true wisdom only comes from the Lord. I believe that Eve's problem was the lust for knowledge, and the desire to share it with Adam--hence, the fall of man.

One can have knowledge without wisdom, but scarcely will have wisdom without knowledge. I think we see this in many areas of the church today, among both men and women. often the man's teaching is to show everyone how smart he is, and not for the edification of others, and the glory of God. Those are two factors of true knowledge. (Example? You don't want to know!!)

I sincerely hope that I have not been offensive in airing my views, but I also hope to stand firm upon that which I view as scriptural truth; sometimes the two seem to conflict though. When this happens, I must stand with truth no matter who it offendeds, as I am sure most of you would also do. Of course, the real offense is often in the delivery and the choice of words, and not actually in the truth of the matter. Sorry if this is the case with any of you. I assure you that it was not to "pick on women" but to add to their lives the harmony and joy of realizing the importance of roles in our lives, and the striving to get into the right place for the betterment of the entire family, and our relationshiop with the Lord.

Let me say, at last, that both parties help the other to find, and maintain their roles. When the man is the right sort of husband, the wife usually falls in line with him; when the woman gets into her rightful place, the man can relax, and he too begins to take the leadershiop role. They are working together to promote one another in their proper roles. Yes men, much of it depends on us if our wives are not submissive; we need to quit preaching (nagging) them, and get working on our relationship to the Lord and His role for us in scripture; after all. we are the leaders!

On the thought of wisdom and knowledge.

A man with little godly wisdom and great knowledge probably will make bad decisions in the sight of God, yet a man with great godly wisdom and little knowledge will probably make godly decisions.

Its not about how much knowledge ones has, it is about how one uses the knowledge that they have and apply godly wisdom.

Of course those of this world thinks godly wisdom and knowledge is pure foolishness.

PS. The majority of people who call their self Christians combine worldly knowledge with godly knowledge and make carnal decisions.

• Administrators

Last night I was talking with my hubby about this thread. I have to tell you the results. :icon_mrgreen:

He agrees that women should not write doctrinal books - unless it is a "ghostwriter" for a man or unless the books are written for women. Just as I stated in my other threads. (and he doesn't see anything wrong with women writing academic books....they aren't doctrine and thus are not contrary to scripture)

However....I made the comment that I didn't think What the Bible is all About was doctrine and therefore okay for men to read - because it is a summary about books of the Bible. My husband disagreed with me. He believes that even that book is not for men. (probably a good reason he's never read it, eh? :icon_biggrin:)

I wanted to let everyone know that. Some may think I'm overreacting (or becoming a rug...), but he's my hubby, so I will align with him on this.

The official DePriest household stand on it is that women can write books - doctrinal only if they are ghostwriting for a man or if the books are for women. Academic is okay since academia is not scripture. And Henrietta Mears' book falls under the realm of doctrine. (BTW - when I use the term doctrinal regarding women writing for women, I am not meaning deep doctrines of the faith...I'm talking about issues that are female specific...)

• Members

Praying the LORD will have readers take this to heart! I needed to hear this said--Thank you!

Many of the problems facing Christians today with regards to the proper roles of men and women, whether writing or reading books or other matters, comes down to many years of worldly indoctrination and far too little (if any) discipleship.

We all had some degree of worldly taint in our thinking and actions regarding the roles of men and women when we came to Christ. If we are not properly discipled and/or if we don't spend enough time in reading and studying the Word and in prayer, we won't be replacing the false worldly ideas with biblical ideas; or perhaps even realizing we are holding some worldly ideas in some areas.

There are many Christian families where the husband fails to rightly train, lead, encourage, instruct and guide his family. Many Christian women fail to biblically perform their duties. The entire family suffers when either or both of these occur.

How many Christian women do things or act in certain unbiblical ways because their husband says it's okay and to their understanding that makes it okay? They have never been taught any better. It's possible their husbands have never been taught any better either; or they may just be lazy and unwilling to be a biblical husband.

How many Christian men are about unbiblical things because their wives don't have a problem with it? Or their Christian friends, their pastor or church never confront them about it, never even bother to mention their wrongful behaviour?

True enough, we should each be busy reading and studying the Word and be in constant prayer so we can learn and grow in the Lord. However, it's also true that mature Christians are to be involved in discipling less mature Christians. This is true for both men and women.