• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"book" twist on "woman teaching" subject

• Members

Since we are :beatdeadhorse: on the woman teaching thing....

Is it OK for a man to read a "bible teaching" book written by a woman?

Example: Henrietta Mears wrOTe "What the Bible is All About" and I've seen it in pastors libraries. If a pastor reads her book, is this a case of a woman teaching a man?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Since we are :beatdeadhorse: on the woman teaching thing....

Is it OK for a man to read a "bible teaching" book written by a woman?

Example: Henrietta Mears wrOTe "What the Bible is All About" and I've seen it in pastors libraries. If a pastor reads her book, is this a case of a woman teaching a man?

Too coincidental as I had the very thought about the very same author and book last night. I've had that book in my library for years and it is very good.

• Members

I have never read the book, nor heard of it, but probably won't (read it) either. I do nOT think that a woman ought to be considered a "Bible Scholar" in that she teaches preachers or even laymen the Bible.

I believe that the rokes have been reversed, and the man ought to be teaching the woman... if she doesn't understand, it is his duty to find the answer that she needs, and nOT simply ignore the issue. She is to "ask her husband at home" (1 Cor. 14:35) if she has any questions or problems concerning the Word of God. Writing a book for laypeople, or preachers is the same as speaking in the church (same verse.) If you would nOT have a women come to your church to "speak" about the same things that are in the book, then what makes the writing of it any different?
(I'm prolly in BIG trouble now!)

• Members

So anytime a woman shares insight that God givers her she is "teaching?" Can a 12 year boy read her book but nOT a 13 yr old or older? Is she usurping a man? Is she teaching in the church? Does a man reading a book in his home have anything to do with church order?

(for discussion)

• Members

Again, we have to first define whether the restriction on women teaching men is confined to the church or if it applies beyond the church.

As to books specifically, is a book "teaching" even though the reader isn't learning something knew throughout the book but may gain a better understanding of something or perhaps glean a new nugget along the way?

What about women reading books written by women?

What about books co-authored by a man and a woman?

• Members

Couldn't agree more !:thumb:

I have never read the book, nor heard of it, but probably won't (read it) either. I do nOT think that a woman ought to be considered a "Bible Scholar" in that she teaches preachers or even laymen the Bible.

I believe that the rokes have been reversed, and the man ought to be teaching the woman... if she doesn't understand, it is his duty to find the answer that she needs, and nOT simply ignore the issue. She is to "ask her husband at home" (1 Cor. 14:35) if she has any questions or problems concerning the Word of God. Writing a book for laypeople, or preachers is the same as speaking in the church (same verse.) If you would nOT have a women come to your church to "speak" about the same things that are in the book, then what makes the writing of it any different?
(I'm prolly in BIG trouble now!)

• Members

irishman, I don't think you are in trouble. I just think you are wrong. I used to have that kind of thinking when I was first saved and young in my marriage. After being saved for about 30 years, studying the Scriptures and being married a bit over 30 years, I can tell you that are missing out on 50% of the blessings, learning and wisdom that God has equipped a woman to provide the you, me and the world.

• Members

Yes, I've nOTiced, years ago you hardly ever heard anyone express this view about women, but now its becoming very common as more churches and its member drop what the Bible really teaches while accepting what's political correct which comes from this worlds teachings, many churches ordaining women pastors, even accepting homosexual pastors.

Yes, some of us still stand in that very unpopular position that's so political incorrect modern day America.

• Members

Unpopular doesn't equal right, anymore than popular means right.

Those that rightly divide God's Word and live by his Holy Scriptures know that God is nOT nearly as skeptical or limiting of women and their contributions as those who formulate their opinions by what they think will impress OTher IFB Christians. You see, living by God's Word allows us freedom from the made up rules of the modern day Pharisees and hypocrites, while we are free to serve the Living God in righteousness and holiness as his Word and Spirit lead.