• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

NIV is scheduled for it's 1st revision in 25 years (includes gender changes)

• Members

AnOTher reason that I thank God for the 1611 Authorized King James Bible. Never changes, Never revised..........

MSNBC reported this and it really sickens me, I guess Biblica and Zondervan are needing money. Liberal pastors will buy it and since their old version won't read as the new version, they'll encourage their congregation to go buy one, I'm sure. Let's just wear out the old King James and go buy anOTher. Every heard the song "What's wrong with the old Black Book"?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32644719/ns/us_news-faith/?GT1=43001

• Members

I've nOTiced in most Christian bookstores they have a very limited selection of KJBs but a huge selection of the various MVs. On the positive side, these stores will sometimes place KJBs in their bargain bin which means folks can get a good Bible for a low price.

I've always considered the NIV to be one of the worst of the MVs. No doubt, the revised version will be even worse.

• Members

If you want a preview of the NIV revision, just pick up a TNIV and read through it. It sounds like the changes will be very similar.

I've always considered the NIV to be one of the worst of the MVs. No doubt, the revised version will be even worse.

I think the NIV is an example of a translation with good intentions going too far to make the text "understandable".

I think the worst is the NWT, which didn't just stop at making the text understandable, they had to make it conform to their teachings.

• Members

I've nOTiced in most Christian bookstores they have a very limited selection of KJBs but a huge selection of the various MVs. On the positive side, these stores will sometimes place KJBs in their bargain bin which means folks can get a good Bible for a low price.

The website said that 90 percent of the 1st revision should stay the same as the original version. Imagine that 10 percent of the NIV will have a correction. Goes to show that man made versions will always alter. God true word, the 1611 KJB will always remain the same.

I ran a Christian Bookstore in a town of less that 5000 from 1996 to 1999 and I just couldn't keep it afloat. Went in serious debt to try and make it WITHOUT putting the alternate versions and it's literature on the shelves. Even in our little small town, I'd say over half of the customers that came in wanted a version OTher than the King James. So........I closed the business and just now getting out of debt, ten years later. Thank God for payment plans and the health and strength to work and make money to pay it back.

• Members

If you want a preview of the NIV revision, just pick up a TNIV and read through it. It sounds like the changes will be very similar.

I think the NIV is an example of a translation with good intentions going too far to make the text "understandable".

I think the worst is the NWT, which didn't just stop at making the text understandable, they had to make it conform to their teachings.

I'm nOT sure what their intentions were but they did water down the NIV so much in order to make it easy to read and understand that much of it no longer carries the proper meaning and the power of the Word isn't there.

Someone gave me a daily devOTional many years ago that was in the NIV. I tried using that but found I was getting nOThing from reading it.

When I've had Christian friends who used the NIV I would bring a parallel Bible with the KJB/NIV when we would have discussions or do some Bible study together because the NIV just doesn't have the power. Interestingly, I would often find that after we read a passage, if some were having trouble with the passage, I would read the passage from the KJB and even those who liked the NIV would most often get a better grasp from hearing the KJB.

The "best" MV I've ever read was the NASB, which is the version I was reading before the Lord led me specifically to the KJB. When I was saved I only had a RSV which I received while attending Sunday school at a Methodist church as a young child.

• Members

The website said that 90 percent of the 1st revision should stay the same as the original version. Imagine that 10 percent of the NIV will have a correction. Goes to show that man made versions will always alter. God true word, the 1611 KJB will always remain the same.

I ran a Christian Bookstore in a town of less that 5000 from 1996 to 1999 and I just couldn't keep it afloat. Went in serious debt to try and make it WITHOUT putting the alternate versions and it's literature on the shelves. Even in our little small town, I'd say over half of the customers that came in wanted a version OTher than the King James. So........I closed the business and just now getting out of debt, ten years later. Thank God for payment plans and the health and strength to work and make money to pay it back.

I know of a Baptist book store that is the our reach of a group of Baptist. On the day they started this they were very conservative. They would nOT sell anything that did nOT fall under the umbrella of their belief.

The reason it was opened up was so that members of these churches would have a good place to buy Bible and supplies needed at a good price, it operate as nonprofit.

Now with the management it has, it has turned into a money making machine, they sell most anything and everything, even stuff that contradicts the statement of faith that these church use to hold to. They have even given everyone huge salary increases and spent much money of the building as well as the grounds it sets on and the profits keeps building up. Of course now nOThing is sold at a good price, you can go else where and get a better price. Of course they still have much conservative Baptist materiel that you want find anywhere else.

I use to love to go in there and just browse around, usually coming out with a hand full of stuff. Now its hard to find anything for you have to browse through to much junk in order to find something worth buying. So I hardly even go there anymore.

It hurts to see a group of Baptist Churches and this book store go. Things are going in the direction that our Lord laid out in the Holy Book He saw fit to provide us to use as instructions to live by.

• Members

I saw this happen a few years ago near here. A family opened a Christian bookstore which carried the more "conservative" type of Christian books, Christian homeschooling materials, and of course the KJB.

When I was talking with them one day at the store about certain materials they said so many people came in looking for the watered down materials, the more liberal books, the MVs and when they were told they didn't carry those they would leave without looking any further or buying anything.

Sadly, they went out of business. There was no way they could compete with the Christian bookstore in the Mall which sells whatever sells.

• Members

I see nOThing wrong with updating translations. Language changes and evolves over time. As language changes over the years, it is necessary to go back and transalate the Bible to reflect the current langugage. The Bible is universal in its message. it speaks to us all. However, it very difficult for it to speak to many people when the translation is antiquated, awkward in modern language, and difficult to understand.

I like the KJV for certain uses. In OTher situations, to read and comprehend and understand, I like the TNIV or the NASB.

Someone said something about changing the Bible by translating it anew. How is that? Now, those "Bibles" that are paraphrases and are nOT interpretations can easily change the meaning. However, when a Board of Greek and Hebrew scholars go to the orignial texts and translate, into modern language, that is no different than what those to made the KJV did centuries ago.

What do you say to cultures who do nOT speak English? Are they to learn English to hear the "true" word of God? or is a translation needed into their own language and tongue? How is that different with modern Engilsh?

It baffles me. If God can work through translators in 1611, surely he can do so today as well. The KJV translation is no more a change in the Bilbe than are modern translations. If you want to be literal, you ahve to learn Greek or Hebrew to read the "true" word of God.

• Members

I saw this happen a few years ago near here. A family opened a Christian bookstore which carried the more "conservative" type of Christian books, Christian homeschooling materials, and of course the KJB.

When I was talking with them one day at the store about certain materials they said so many people came in looking for the watered down materials, the more liberal books, the MVs and when they were told they didn't carry those they would leave without looking any further or buying anything.

Sadly, they went out of business. There was no way they could compete with the Christian bookstore in the Mall which sells whatever sells.

This Baptist Book Store was started up many years ago, it would have sunk many times if the churches had nOT supported it, of course with the path its now taken, the churches no longer have to support it with their money, yet it has forsaken God's truths.

There is no doubt, if one of us with our beliefs started such a store and only sold true Bible teaching material there would nOT be enough business to keep it going. Makes me think of this, "...Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it," Because there be so few that have found this gate, the demand for true teaching Bible material is very low.

• Members

I see nOThing wrong with updating translations. Language changes and evolves over time. As language changes over the years, it is necessary to go back and transalate the Bible to reflect the current langugage. The Bible is universal in its message. it speaks to us all. However, it very difficult for it to speak to many people when the translation is antiquated, awkward in modern language, and difficult to understand.

I like the KJV for certain uses. In OTher situations, to read and comprehend and understand, I like the TNIV or the NASB.

Someone said something about changing the Bible by translating it anew. How is that? Now, those "Bibles" that are paraphrases and are nOT interpretations can easily change the meaning. However, when a Board of Greek and Hebrew scholars go to the orignial texts and translate, into modern language, that is no different than what those to made the KJV did centuries ago.

What do you say to cultures who do nOT speak English? Are they to learn English to hear the "true" word of God? or is a translation needed into their own language and tongue? How is that different with modern Engilsh?

It baffles me. If God can work through translators in 1611, surely he can do so today as well. The KJV translation is no more a change in the Bilbe than are modern translations. If you want to be literal, you ahve to learn Greek or Hebrew to read the "true" word of God.

Here are 4 or 5 important differences in the KJB and the NIV. Please go to this webpage and you'll see many, many, many more.

http://www.av1611.org/niv.html

The NIV perverts the deity of Jesus Christ!
I TIMOTHY 3:16: The clearest verse in the Bible proclaiming that Jesus Christ was God. The King James Bible (KJB) reads, "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD WAS MANIFEST IN THE FLESH. . ." The King James says, plainly, "GOD was manifest in the flesh". The NIV reads, "HE appeared in a body". The NIV "twists" "GOD" to "HE". "HE appeared in a body"? So What? Everyone has "appeared in a body"! "He" is a pronoun that refers to a noun or antecedent. There is no antecedent in the context! The statement does NOT make sense! The NIV subtilty (see Genesis 3:1) perverts I TimOThy 3:16 into utter nonsense!

PHILIPPIANS 2:6: The KJB again, clearly declares the deity of Jesus Christ: "Who, being in the form of God, thought it nOT robbery TO BE EQUAL WITH GOD" The NIV reads, "Who, being in very nature God, DID NOT CONSIDER EQUALITY WITH GOD something to be grasped,". The NIV again subtitly perverts the deity of Jesus Christ!

The NIV perverts the virgin birth!
LUKE 2:33: The King James Bible reads, "And JOSEPH and his mOTher marvelled at those things which were spoken of him." The NIV reads, "The CHILD'S FATHER and mOTher marveled at what was said about him." The "CHILD'S FATHER"? Was Joseph Jesus's father? NOT if you believe the virgin birth! NOT if you believe John 3:16, that Jesus Christ was the Son of God! A subtil, "perversion" of the virgin birth. See also Luke 2:43.

The NIV removes the blood of Jesus Christ!
COLOSSIANS 1:14: The KJB reads, "In whom we have redemption THROUGH HIS BLOOD, even the forgiveness of sins:" The NIV reads, "In whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." The NIV rips out the precious words "THROUGH HIS BLOOD"! Friend, redemption is ONLY "THROUGH HIS BLOOD". Hebrews 9:22, reads, ". . . without shedding of BLOOD is no remission." That old song says, "What can wash away my sins, NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD OF JESUS!"

The NIV perverts John 3:16 into a LIE!
JOHN 3:16: The NIV reads, "For God so loved the world that he gave his ONE AND ONLY SON, that whoever believes in him shall nOT perish but have eternal life" Jesus was NOT "the one and only son" - Adam is called the "son of God" in Luke 3:38, there are "sons of God" in Job 1:6 and Christians are called "sons of God" in Phil 2:15, I John 3:2- but Jesus was the "ONLY BEGOTTEN SON"! By removing the critical word "BEGOTTEN" - The NIV perverts John 3:16 into a LIE! The NIV does the same in John 1:14, 1:18, and 3:18.

God Bless
In Christ,
Ben

• Members

AnOTher reason that I thank God for the 1611 Authorized King James Bible. Never changes, Never revised..........

I thank God for it also. I grew up on it. Memorized large portions of it. They continue to stick with me even as I approach age 60.

However, it's nOT true that it's never been revised. The KJV has been revised several times, as most English Bible translations have been. Here is a link to the KJV of 1611 and you can see some of the differences from the KJV which we use today:

http://www.onlythrujesus.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/1611kingjamesbiblepdf.pdf

• Members

However, when a Board of Greek and Hebrew scholars go to the orignial texts and translate, into modern language, that is no different than what those to made the KJV did centuries ago.

It's different when they go to a set a corrupted manuscripts which were rejected by those translating the KJV. It doesn't matter how good a person's intentions are in translating the Bible if they use error-ridden manuscripts to translate from then their translation can't help but be error-ridden itself. This is the problem with all the modern versions. They were translated from a corrupted source and therefore are corrupted themselves.

In Christ,
PreacherE

• Members

It's different when they go to a set a corrupted manuscripts which were rejected by those translating the KJV. It doesn't matter how good a person's intentions are in translating the Bible if they use error-ridden manuscripts to translate from then their translation can't help but be error-ridden itself. This is the problem with all the modern versions. They were translated from a corrupted source and therefore are corrupted themselves.

In Christ,
PreacherE

Great Post :amen:

• Members

Much depends on the teachings one holds to whether they like bibles such as NIV and OTher MV's.

LOTs of those new fangled teachings that's coming out, you have to have a MV to defend them, that is you can't defend them with the good old KJ Bible.

Those people writing those new MV's, they've gOT an agenda, and it nOT follow God closely, I must add, some of them just don't know better, and some are blinded by old Satan.

• Members

I heard a man on the radio yesterday and the DJ asked him why he was strictly KJB for years but now uses various MVs. He said he read the KJB for years but then he became to used to it and needed to read anOTher translation so God could shout at him. He went from the KJB to the NASB and then on to reading various different versions.