• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

My apologies if this has been asked before. Why was the book of Enoch omitted from the list of biblical canon if Jude quOTes from it?

Jude 14,15 - And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

My apologies if this has been asked before. Why was the book of Enoch omitted from the list of biblical canon if Jude quOTes from it?

Jude 14,15 - And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Love,
Madeline

Interesting question. I think bOTh may have quOTed from the oral record. So, it does nOT make a case for Enoch as a doctrinal book or for that matter inspired of God. Beyond this...I'll let the more learned of the board respond.

• Members

Jude quOTed Enoch and that quOTe is also in the book of Enoch but the book of Enoch also contains some things which directly contradict the scriptures and some things that are plain foolishness so the book was rejected as corrupted. The book no doubt contains some elements of truth as many of the non-canonical books do, but it is a fragmentary book which also contains serious errors. Who ever the author or authors were seemed to have a fairly extensive knowledge of God as can be seen by the portions that are biblically correct but there are many places where the book descends to certain falsehoods in the interest of a " good story" such as when it claims that the women who supposedly married fallen angels were condemned to become sirens after their deaths and OTher such biblically inaccurate foolishness. AnOTher example of an obvious error is where it claims the giants that were supposedly born to the women as the offspring of the fallen angels were three thousand ells tall(aprox 1.5 miles) and ate people. An obvious tall tale even if you are willing to accept the premise that fallen angels could father children with humans. God promised to preserve and keep the scriptures pure and the book of Enoch is nOT pure or wholly preserved in anyones estimation.

• Members

Here's some more info (nOTe, I read over it briefly, I'm nOT sure how authoritative it is, provided as info only)

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/book_of_enoch.htm

I would nOT use that site as a source. If you look around his site he (or she I don't really know) seems like a shrieking paranoiac. I don't know if there is a conspiracy theory that he doesn't believe in. Personally I found his site very entertaining, as in I spent a lOT of time laughing at it, but I have seen alien abduction sites that seem more credible.

• Members

I would nOT use that site as a source. If you look around his site he (or she I don't really know) seems like a shrieking paranoiac. I don't know if there is a conspiracy theory that he doesn't believe in. Personally I found his site very entertaining, as in I spent a lOT of time laughing at it, but I have seen alien abduction sites that seem more credible.

I always have to take a look when someone is called out. I looked and the comments concerning Enoch's book are to the point. I also strolled over to his main page and looked beyond it to the "How to Go to Heaven" link which is scriptural. His view of Jesus Christ is correct and many OTher things he has at the site are thought provoking and maybe factual.

1. His view of Christ is correct.
2. The plan of salvation is presented clear and scripturally.
3. Be careful when you call "Raca" to a Christian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There are more than one book of Enoch. The most famous one is in the Coptic Christian canon of scripture which should raise red flags. It's mostly written in Ethiopian and scholars can't agree when it was written. Most likely someone took advantage of what Jude said concerning Enoch's prophesy and wrote a book to fill in for the alledged book that Enoch wrote. So then when someone hears of a book of Enoch and they find in it the palgarized passage that Jude "quoted" then they fall right into the deception that the book of Enoch must be inspired scripture. This is how the book of Mormon was passed off as scripture to millions of suckers.