• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Love a thread to encourage others--medical problems anyone?

• Members

Anyone here with a progressive disease that affects your life? Would love to have support of another christian and to be allowed to support you with word's of encouragement and prayers as well.This could be a shortterm or a longterm illness. How about spouses are welcome also? Please feel free to just share. No judgements just Chrsit's love to share! Question's are fine as well. Sometimes our fear comes from the unknown but never from the LORD!

• Members

My wife has ostioarthritis and it's especially bad in her neck. She had surgery to remove some bad stuff and replace it with metal plates and cushion but that only provided some temporary relief as the arthritis is so bad in her neck.

My wife is 46 but the doctor said her neck looks more like someone in their 70s. For the most part, she's in constant pain ranging from mild to intense.

• Members

John, Does she have titanium and titanium screw? That is what I've got from surgery 1 February 1999. Surgery 2 February 2000 they went in the backside and trimmed the disc between C-4 & C-3, no metal work, but that surgery was worse than the 1st one.

For about 3 to 4 months after my 1st one things were a bit better, but from there on it was down hill.

I went to a different NS September 01, this is what he told me.

I've got 2 birth defects in the bottom portion of my head & top part of my neck, doctor offered to do surgery, but said it might take 3 more surgeries, but all of that surgery might just make it worse. That the best thing I could do is live with it, take good care of self, them when it got so bad I could not stand it, perhaps them they could tell just what portion is giving me the most trouble & hopefully give me some relief. He felt like the trouble was in 3 places in my neck starting at C6 with bone spurs and on up to my brain stem with my spinal cord having pressure on it in 3 place, one of them is near the top of my brain stem, it has pressure on it both on the front side & the back side.

The last few months I hands get numb once in a while, maybe one day I will have to have at least one more surgery, but I shall wait till I have to.

What keeps me going is I know its going to get better, of course the best is not coming until I get to heaven.

Re

• Members

Jerry your story sounds very much like what my wife is dealing with. Over the past year her neck pain was really bothering her much more so we went back to the doctors and they told her pretty much what you were told. They could do surgery now but it might not help at all and if it did help it would be temporary.

My wife knows what discs they went after but I don't remember. They had to get rid of a bone spur when they put the metal things in her neck.

Within the past few months my wife has begun noticing her hands will tingle and get a bit numb sometimes. She describes it as kind of the feeling when your hand falls asleep.

Basically, this is something she will just have to live with. They can give her some pain pills but they only do so much. If things ever get really bad they can go ahead and do surgery and see what happens but they don't want to do that unless they have to.

With all the arthritis in her neck we know this will just get worse over the years as they can't do anything about that.

It's hard to see her suffer like this. I pray the Lord would grant her healing, relief from the pain but it that's not in His will at this time I pray the Lord would grant her the strength, endurance and stamina to deal with this and she would know a measure of His comfort and peace in this.

• Members

If they have to go in and get my bone spurs that's already pressing against my spinal cord, the NS told me he would have to take the titanium plate out, along with 2 more disc, and put even a much larger titanium plate with many more titanium screws which will limit the amount I can turn my neck even more so. But if it has to be done, them we will do it.

Right now my hands go numb from time to time, but I'm hoping it will not get much worse, but only time will tell.

• Members

That stuff in the neck, all around the spine, just isn't good and is so difficult to do much about.

My wife has another spur, not anywhere near as bad as the one they removed a few years ago. They told her basically the same thing, that if they go in to operate on that they will have to deal with at least the disk below the metal and perhaps the one above there and such would be real complicated and might not make her feel any better at all.

From all the doctors have said, surgery seems to be the last option we should consider.

• Members

I did read all your posts about your medical problems but felt I had to respond to this specific one. First -I'm praying for you! Secondly -you did the right thing seeing another NS! Whenever disc's are pushing on the spine (mine was C5 & C6) you can have damage that may never repair it's self. I just about one year ago had surgery-I also had a fracture there as well. The top NS did my surgery himself -after surgery he explained if I would have had alittle fall or a slight hit from the rear end while driving I would have been a quad. When I went in- I was suddenly having involuntary movement on my right & left side. One side was because of my disc pressing on my spinal cord. The other a progressive disease diagnoised a few months later. I"m only saying if your numbness changes to involuntary movement contact NS ASAP reguardless of what side of body.:twocents: Thirdly--NEVER forget the LORD is in control ALWAYS!!!:icon_pray:

John, Does she have titanium and titanium screw? That is what I've got from surgery 1 February 1999. Surgery 2 February 2000 they went in the backside and trimmed the disc between C-4 & C-3, no metal work, but that surgery was worse than the 1st one.

For about 3 to 4 months after my 1st one things were a bit better, but from there on it was down hill.

I went to a different NS September 01, this is what he told me.

I've got 2 birth defects in the bottom portion of my head & top part of my neck, doctor offered to do surgery, but said it might take 3 more surgeries, but all of that surgery might just make it worse. That the best thing I could do is live with it, take good care of self, them when it got so bad I could not stand it, perhaps them they could tell just what portion is giving me the most trouble & hopefully give me some relief. He felt like the trouble was in 3 places in my neck starting at C6 with bone spurs and on up to my brain stem with my spinal cord having pressure on it in 3 place, one of them is near the top of my brain stem, it has pressure on it both on the front side & the back side.

The last few months I hands get numb once in a while, maybe one day I will have to have at least one more surgery, but I shall wait till I have to.

What keeps me going is I know its going to get better, of course the best is not coming until I get to heaven.

Re

• Members

John, I really understand how helpless you feel when you see you see your wife experiencing this level of pain because my husband has osteoarthritis as well ! He has had surgery after surgery after surgery! Plus, he has broken C7,C8 & C9. Lot's of surgery but he's still walking around--Praise the LORD!! I'm praying for your wife that her level of pain will be much lower and for you that the LORD will give you peace about not being able to make her pain just go away.That's how I've felt so I only assumed you have experienced that feeling as well. I know you know the LORD is in control but just wanted to remind you because someday's my thought's can run away with me . Maybe that's just me but then I have to remind myself-He is in control, loves us and only allows things in our lives for our good !! Give your wife a hug from me and let her know I'm praying for her! :icon_pray:

That stuff in the neck, all around the spine, just isn't good and is so difficult to do much about.

My wife has another spur, not anywhere near as bad as the one they removed a few years ago. They told her basically the same thing, that if they go in to operate on that they will have to deal with at least the disk below the metal and perhaps the one above there and such would be real complicated and might not make her feel any better at all.

From all the doctors have said, surgery seems to be the last option we should consider.

• Members

John, I really understand how helpless you feel when you see you see your wife experiencing this level of pain because my husband has osteoarthritis as well ! He has had surgery after surgery after surgery! Plus, he has broken C7,C8 & C9. Lot's of surgery but he's still walking around--Praise the LORD!! I'm praying for your wife that her level of pain will be much lower and for you that the LORD will give you peace about not being able to make her pain just go away.That's how I've felt so I only assumed you have experienced that feeling as well. I know you know the LORD is in control but just wanted to remind you because someday's my thought's can run away with me . Maybe that's just me but then I have to remind myself-He is in control, loves us and only allows things in our lives for our good !! Give your wife a hug from me and let her know I'm praying for her! :icon_pray:

:amen:Thank you!

• Members

I did read all your posts about your medical problems but felt I had to respond to this specific one. First -I'm praying for you! Secondly -you did the right thing seeing anOTher NS! Whenever disc's are pushing on the spine (mine was C5 & C6) you can have damage that may never repair it's self. I just about one year ago had surgery-I also had a fracture there as well. The top NS did my surgery himself -after surgery he explained if I would have had alittle fall or a slight hit from the rear end while driving I would have been a quad. When I went in- I was suddenly having involuntary movement on my right & left side. One side was because of my disc pressing on my spinal cord. The OTher a progressive disease diagnoised a few months later. I"m only saying if your numbness changes to involuntary movement contact NS ASAP reguardless of what side of body.:twocents: Thirdly--NEVER forget the LORD is in control ALWAYS!!!:icon_pray:

• Members

Jerry- people with medical problems that are saved and alow themselves to become angry with the LORD -instead of dependance- is the hardest to watch and I find to know HOW to pray for them! Pain--severe pain--is very, very difficult to live with on a day to day basis. NOT only is their pain life- altering but taking medications sometimes can be make them shameful or afraid to share that they'll be judged. Does this make any since to you? Please share if it does!

• 2 months later...