• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

HOW TO CONDUCT YOURSELF DURING PREACHING

• Members

I have used a pda with e-swords on it when I forgot my bible a couple of times. I did let the preacher know so he wouldn't think I was doing something besides what I was supposed to be, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. If someone else wants to I wouldn't see it as a distraction, Yet I prefer paper and leather. Just my opinion, and I enjoy me some technology.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wouldn't find it distracting I think for people around you it is just plain nosiness wanting to know what you're doing. I would let the Pastor know because they easy to mistake for phones or other activities. As for the leaving for the bus or medical reasons, I cannot see that as a distraction so long as you get up quietly and go. Our church is in a rented building with wooden floor boards and every footstep is heard. You almost have to remove your shoes to walk quietly. IT is very noisy and very distracting.

I have not thought of the packing up issue. I will not do that anymore. My thought is getting organized so that when it ends and people come up to me I'm not bending down picking up stuff etc. But you are right it is rude.

Blossom

• Members

I started sitting on the front row about 4 yrs ago, I never realized all the distractions until I was forced to sit in the back a few months ago. Everytime some one got up to go to the bathroom, or whispered in someones ear, i noticed it took my attention off the message. I wont sit near the back again. Up front you don't see that stuff. The zipper on the bible covers are the biggest distraction, at the end of services is the most distracting thing for me.

• Members

Thing is, we need to be considerate of others during preaching service. A person can be doing something that is distracting to others and not realize it. It would be sad to be doing something that is distracting to a lost person and we be the stumbling block that keeps that person from accepting Christ as Savior. Believe me it does happen.

What does not distract you may well distract that lost soul or that person who is in desperate need.

Linda and I had the prOBlem of constantly being distracted and unable to stay focused, we move up and set in front of everyone which was the 2nd row on the left side entering the church, it cure that prOBlem. But the fact is no one should ever have a prOBlem such as that during preaching service in one of Jesus' Churches, never! But the saddest thing is when a saved person, one of your very own members is the one causing the distraction.

Whatever it is, if it distracts one person it should not be done. I know for some that sounds way to tough.

• Members

I think it would bother some pastors and members because it is very hard to see what you are doing. They can't tell you are using it for the bible or not.

Alot of teens would see what you are doing and will think," he does it, so maybe we can do it too".When they have no idea why you are using it. most see it as a boredom breaker, and even if they did know why, they think it is a great excuse to tell their parents to bring it, then they argue "Well, I saw Jerry using it in church, why can I????" So to avoid conflict between teens and parents, maybe it is a good idea to leave it at home.

I would just bring the bible and notepad then research it on it later . But I don't know. Although people with disability do need to be able electronics that would help their life easier. I do know what it is like to hear a word you never heard of and get lost in sermon because you have no idea what it means and that a dictionary take too long. which is why I loved my franklin electronic bible before it got broken.

• Members

I will take the advice given here and speak to my Pastor about it before using it again in service. I really don't think it would distract most people, as I usually do sit in the back, often by myself. If I was surrounded by people, I can see it being a potential distraction. I don't hold it up and draw attention to it, I use it in my lap or on the seat right beside me, so as far as that goes, it wouldn't be any worse than using a Bible and notepad. Though I agree, if people do not know what it is and that I am using a Bible program, they might be distracted by thinking I am playing games or something else.

I really do have ADD, and can get quite distracted thinking about other passages that come to mind, the desire to look up words or phrase, or potential message outlines that I believe God brings to mind for me to preach (though I am not necessarily saying He is telling me to focus on it right then or look those words up right away); however, if I type the word/phrase/passages into the program, I can get it out of my mind within a few seconds, instead of flipping through my Bible for several minutes trying to find it, or being distracted because I can't get the idea out of my head. Often I will scribble an outline at the top or bottom of the bulletin.

• Members

The rule for me is if I am not going to use it while preaching, I will not use it when someone else is preaching.

that's a good rule although some pastor had more time to research their sermon before they start preaching than someone who sat on the pew (like the definition of a word)

• Members

I rightly don't know if it will distract anyone or not. That said, we need to be sure what we do does not distract others. I feel on an issue such as this one needs to use much caution.

I do know this, a member of the church that I'm pastor of, prior to my being called he died, he used a Franklin Bible in Bible classes and preaching services, and several told me that it nearly drove them nuts, that he caused more distraction than 2 crying babies. I did ask them, why did y'all not ask him to put it up, their answer was we feared we would offend him. I them said, "Yes, I understand that, but what if he was a stumbling block to a lost person?"

I hate to say this, but its a truth, some of our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are so self-centered they will never understand what ever it is they may be doing during Bible study and or preaching service is distracting to at least one or even more people. I strongly feel we need to do our best to keep the distractions to a minimum in our churches, and I believe God expect us to.

Might I add, his daughter gave me one within just a few weeks after I was called to be their pastor telling me how much her father enjoyed his Franklin. Knowing what I know I would never take it to church and use it. As for me, I don't want to give anyone the least bit of an that I'm not paying attention, everyone will not know its a portable personal Bible. The next thing you know someone will have their cell phone out playing with it doing that which they should not.

How did our brothers and sisters in Christ of yesterday ever make it, not having all the junk, electronic items, their brothers and sisters in Christ have today? Must have made if pretty good, for they were not near as liberal as most of today's Christians.

• Administrators

that's a good rule although some pastor had more time to research their sermon before they start preaching than someone who sat on the pew (like the definition of a word)

I understand, that is why I write the stuff down and when I get home do the study. I miss too much of the sermon when I'm doing the research while he is preaching.

• Members

I rightly don't know if it will distract anyone or not. That said, we need to be sure what we do does not distract others. I feel on an issue such as this one needs to use much caution.

I do know this, a member of the church that I'm pastor of, prior to my being called he died, he used a Franklin Bible in Bible classes and preaching services, and several told me that it nearly drove them nuts, that he caused more distraction than 2 crying babies. I did ask them, why did y'all not ask him to put it up, their answer was we feared we would offend him. I them said, "Yes, I understand that, but what if he was a stumbling block to a lost person?"

I hate to say this, but its a truth, some of our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ are so self-centered they will never understand what ever it is they may be doing during Bible study and or preaching service is distracting to at least one or even more people. I strongly feel we need to do our best to keep the distractions to a minimum in our churches, and I believe God expect us to.

Might I add, his daughter gave me one within just a few weeks after I was called to be their pastor telling me how much her father enjoyed his Franklin. Knowing what I know I would never take it to church and use it. As for me, I don't want to give anyone the least bit of an that I'm not paying attention, everyone will not know its a portable personal Bible. The next thing you know someone will have their cell phone out playing with it doing that which they should not.

How did our brothers and sisters in Christ of yesterday ever make it, not having all the junk, electronic items, their brothers and sisters in Christ have today? Must have made if pretty good, for they were not near as liberal as most of today's Christians.

That is true. But without technology or any assistance for the disability, some people never made it to the bible. LIke sign language, if missionary never took the time to learn it, deaf people would never hear the gospel. And sign language in church itself can be distraction. I think anything that help the disability is distracting, but it does help them. Some people do need to learn how to overcome their distraction and let people with disability use what help them. For me, I need my dictionary that is quick or I will be lost in a sermon (then it get boring because I have NO idea what the pastor is talking about).

Yesterday, many people with disabilities were left out. Today, they are included because of technologies.

If I got rid of my technologies: hearing aid, cochlear implant, TTY, computer, etc. I will be in a world of isolation, especially the fact that I don't know sign language and hardly anyone I know know it either. And going to church would be very Silent (because I can't hear anything without my hearing aids... I need it to get ANY sound -- I am severe hard of hearing since birth, meaning I am nearly totally deaf but I can only hear if I had hearing aids)

• Members

Of course a cochlear implant will not distract someone, neither will the person who is interpreting what the pastor say into sign language.

But the person setting there pecking away on his electronic devise may distract several people

Surely a good Christian can set quietly for a few minutes leaving his electronic devises alone while a called by God pastor can proclaim the message for that day so that ALL who are in attendance can get a benefit out of it without being distracted.

I'm thankful we have not that prOBlem.

• Members

There is a electronic device that is specifically for the deaf and HOH who don't know sign language. It involves a lot of pecking from an interpreter. It is call "CART" and it is usually use in courts (I had to have it when I was in court). I am sure some churches use it. I wish most churches would have it as I missed out alot of things in church, but it is too expensive :

http://www.ncraonline.org/NR/rdonlyres/891C9BAD-1A28-4298-AB6B-D6569196ACAD/0/CARTModelGuidelines.pdf