• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pensacola Christian College

• Members
At what point do you call something gossip vs. giving facts for someones own good?

If I planned to attend a Christian college, I would want to know its reputation, standards, and practices, but I would try to find someone who had actually been there and had personal knowledge of the institution. If someone had just heard things, then I wouldn't put too much stock in the comments, but I would store them in the back of my mind in case I heard similar comments from others.

So, the first person would not be gossiping (IMO), but the second could be. That's how I'd treat it. So, I would agree with you that some comments in this thread may be gossipping, but I think gossip is in the ear of the hearer many times. If someone had a positive experience and heard a negative comment, they might consider that gossip. If another had a negative experience and heard a negative comment, that might be fact in their eyes (or ears?).

Does that make any sense? It's a slow day at work, it's 65 degrees in Iowa in November, and my motorcycle is calling out to me! And I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Mitch

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If I planned to attend a Christian college, I would want to know its reputation, standards, and practices, but I would try to find someone who had actually been there and had personal knowledge of the institution. If someone had just heard things, then I wouldn't put too much stock in the comments, but I would store them in the back of my mind in case I heard similar comments from others.

So, the first person would not be gossiping (IMO), but the second could be. That's how I'd treat it. So, I would agree with you that some comments in this thread may be gossipping, but I think gossip is in the ear of the hearer many times. If someone had a positive experience and heard a negative comment, they might consider that gossip. If another had a negative experience and heard a negative comment, that might be fact in their eyes (or ears?).

Does that make any sense? It's a slow day at work, it's 65 degrees in Iowa in November, and my motorcycle is calling out to me! And I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Mitch

I understand, and I would want to know a college's reputation, standards and practices as well--AS AN INSTITUTION, by OBserving how it functions & it's impact on its student body, what it teaches etc. (if I were considering sending my child there) I would do this either by going there myself and checking it out, or through the recommendation of others who have personally attended.

As far as it "isn't gossip if it comes from the 1st person"......I don't know about that. If that were the case, then why didn't the letter in the OP just lay out all the details as to what supposedly "really" happened? My suspicion would be because the author of the letter felt that it would be gossip and that he had PCC's best interest in mind; as an institution that big is not made up of one man. God's work is OBviously still going on there, even if imperfectly. The last time I looked it was still going on very imperfectly in the church I currently attend as well, but I wouldn't lay out all of the details and tell you where I attend, lest it hurt the ministry there. (I am, of course, not speaking of gross wickedness or deep doctrinal error) I like how the verse in Prov. 11:13 puts it "A talebearer revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter."

• Members

Naming names is not gossip. Dr. Horton has ruined PCC in the last 10 years and I wouldn't recommend the school based on the facts of what he has done. Just as Peter Ruckman is a heretic and Dr. Hyles taught the heresy of Easy Believism. Dr. Horton holds to false beliefs regarding local church which is at the center of this discussion. He has the right to hire/fire the pastor of the Campus Church, which in my opinion is no more than a college chapel at this point. As an Alumnus of the school, I also have the right to share the truth about my Alma Mater.

What has been shared does not go into the personal attacks that gossip would, it is declaring the facts of the situation and calling liars those who are. Simple as that.

• Members

Naming names is not gossip. Dr. Horton has ruined PCC in the last 10 years and I wouldn't recommend the school based on the facts of what he has done. Just as Peter Ruckman is a heretic and Dr. Hyles taught the heresy of Easy Believism. Dr. Horton holds to false beliefs regarding local church which is at the center of this discussion. He has the right to hire/fire the pastor of the Campus Church, which in my opinion is no more than a college chapel at this point. As an Alumnist of the school, I also have the right to share the truth about my Alma Mater.

What has been shared does not go into the personal attacks that gossip would, it is declaring the facts of the situation and calling liars those who are. Simple as that.

Just for clarification, Pastor J, I never, ever, ever was trying to accuse you of gossipping. I was PM'd over such, and want to extend an apology to you publicly. I was merely concerned over the appearance of such, and how that could effect OB.

PCC is heretical? Dr. Horton is a heretic? Or both? I do believe heresy needs to be exposed, say on.......I've never heard it said about this college before, indeed, I use their textbooks, as well as many other churches and homeschoolers that I know, so I assumed that they were fine.

• Members

I wouldn't call him a heretic, but I would say his positions on the church, forgiveness, grace, pastoral authority, other areas are unScriptural. I wouldn't classify him completely with the Hyles and Ruckman's of the world, but he is not too far from it in the last 10 years.

• Members

My last word. Simply go to the PCC website and read where they stand: doctrine, standards etc. They don't need defending. I was only expressing my view on how I felt about a Pastor, who is also a moderator, continuing to put down an institution repeatedly on OB. I am throughly persuaded that we are to pray for PCC not tear down His work. You can call and request a catalog or a entire packet on where they stand. Call 1-850-478-8496. This is the main switchboard number and you only need to let them know what you are wanting and they will connect you to the correct person! They also give a wonderful college tour! There are computer/ science&engineering /nursing/basketball camps all lasting about one week in the summer. Go visit and let your teen-ager experience camp while they stay in the dorms. You can also take a group or just send one child sometime around OCT. where they live in the dorm's with other college students and are able to attend any classes during this time for as long as they desire. I encourage all parents to do this with ANY Christian College before sending your child to attend. I think that's just simply being a good conscientious christian parent! in Christ. His by Grace

• Members

I am also an Alumni of the school and the direction they are heading is very alarming. People ought to know the truth about the school and a catalog isn't going to help that. Their doctrinal statement has changed at least a half a dozen times in the last 15 years so trusting what they have written down as their "official doctrinal position" is difficult.

I agree that a parent ought to go visit a school, but even when visiting, you still will not get a complete picture of what you are putting your child into.