• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"..dash thy little ones against the stones..."

• Members

We were in Psalm 137, in last Sunday school class, and I did some study on it when I got home. Many unbelievers use this psalm as an occasion to vilify the Bible. How do you interpret this chapter?
I believe God has opened my eyes to a little of it and I will tell that later but, I would like to see what y'all think first.

• Members

We were in Psalm 137, in last Sunday school class, and I did some study on it when I got home. Many unbelievers use this psalm as an occasion to vilify the Bible. How do you interpret this chapter?
I believe God has opened my eyes to a little of it and I will tell that later but, I would like to see what y'all think first.

Psalm 137:9 - Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

This is an imprecatory prayer in which God obviously knew that these babylonian infants will grow up to be wicked. Also, would it have been better if these infants grew to be wicked and ultimately face an eternity in hell? There are a few instances where God commands the death of infants (Ex. 12:29; Deut. 21:18-21; Jud. 11:30-40; 1 Sam. 15:3; 2 Kings 6:28,29; Ps. 135:8; 136:10; 137:9). This is an act of mercy rather than what some might conceive as an act of wrongful justice, because all infants...by the Grace of God, are immediately transferred into God's eternal Kingdom.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I don't claim to have the definitive answer but remember this...
Isaiah had foretold of such an incident (isaiah 13:16) and the Psalmist had been in Babylon and knew exactly what the Babylonians were.

• Members

8: O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us.
9: Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Who were the ones that dashed the little ones against the stones? God? No. The Jews? No. The Christians? No. It was the Medes and Persians and they were happy when they destroyed the Babylonians. The Psalmist wasn't implying that it would be the Jews that would do the dashing (and the Jews never did do the dashing), or that God even enjoyed it somehow seeing God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. He was just letting the Babylonians know that what comes around goes around.

• Members

The Babylonians wanted to hear a song, and they wanted to be entertained with "mirth" or happiness. But the grieving, captive Jews could not give them their request. Then the Psalm says they would get to see some happiness when they themselves were "wasted" with war crimes and atrocities also being committed against them. Because the Medes and Persians certainly would have celebrated after their victory.

Also notice that, the last two verses speak directly to an individual "daughter of Babylon". Certainly any woman with small children, hearing this warning, could have taken notice of it, personally, and would have had the opportunity to repent. And so, being spoken as if directly to a Babylonian individual, I can't help but wonder if it isn't a warning and a merciful opportunity to repent. And yes, It would be the conquering Medes and Persians who would ultimately rejoice in their bloody deeds and victory over Babylon.

I think it could be one of the actual musicians speaking in this Psalm because it says WE hanged OUR harps upon the willows; and notice that it is expressed in the form of a song. But I wonder if it was a very somber composition, maybe like a dirge?

• Members

Psalm 137:9 - Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

This is an imprecatory prayer in which God obviously knew that these babylonian infants will grow up to be wicked. Also, would it have been better if these infants grew to be wicked and ultimately face an eternity in hell? There are a few instances where God commands the death of infants (Ex. 12:29; Deut. 21:18-21; Jud. 11:30-40; 1 Sam. 15:3; 2 Kings 6:28,29; Ps. 135:8; 136:10; 137:9). This is an act of mercy rather than what some might conceive as an act of wrongful justice, because all infants...by the Grace of God, are immediately transferred into God's eternal Kingdom.

Love,
Madeline

These are all interesting answers, but it brings to mind another thought (Maybe I should start a new thread!) Where do we read that infants are given a "special grace," and all of them go to heaven if they die as a child? I have heard/believed this, but isn't it sort of reading between the lines? In the O.T. they were told to wipe out entire families of those that had sinned (Achan for example). Some say this is because they are going to be brought up in heathensim and "follow in their parents footsteps" (the "sins of the father"...).

I wonder why the children were not allowed to enter the ark (Noah's ark) which is a picture of salvation?

• Members

These are all interesting answers, but it brings to mind another thought (Maybe I should start a new thread!) Where do we read that infants are given a "special grace," and all of them go to heaven if they die as a child? I have heard/believed this, but isn't it sort of reading between the lines? In the O.T. they were told to wipe out entire families of those that had sinned (Achan for example). Some say this is because they are going to be brought up in heathensim and "follow in their parents footsteps" (the "sins of the father"...).

I wonder why the children were not allowed to enter the ark (Noah's ark) which is a picture of salvation?

David had a child taken in death and David said "But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring Him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." David evidently had the realization that his child was in heaven he would one day "go to him."

As far as "wiping out entire families." There are two things working here. The heathen were killed because man had failed over and over (Eden, Flood, Babel) and God finally choose a people to show the world that there was one true God who cannot lie. Therefore, when he promised Israel the land, blessings, etc that had to be carried thru because God cannot lie. God had promised the land and nothing would stop this truth.

Israel got in trouble when they disobeyed God. The whole world was watching and he could not allow them to disgrace His word/truth/promise. See Joshua 2:9 ("I know that the Lord hath given you the land), 2:10 "we have heard", 2:11 "we heard... our heart did melt," "For the Lord your God, he is God." Also see: 2:24, 4:24, 5:1 ("heard"... "heart melted").

These were God's people, the world knew it. Note the in the case of Achan Joshua 8:8 says "O Lord, what shall I say, when Israel turneth their backs before their enemies."

Read thru all of Joshua and underline every occurrence of where someone is watching or listening, be it the Jews or the world. Nothing was going to harm Israel's witness (including failures) to the world or to themselves.

All this so Gods word would be TRUE. That's why we have confidence in John 3:16. God cannot lie.