• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Best Friends and Marriage!

• Members

Last night I was having a conservation with one of my really good guy friends, and he said something very interesting. I wanted to know what you all thought about it. He said when he got married he wanted a guy friend to be just as close or closer than his wife. I found this statement to be kind of weird. I have always thought that I want to marry my best friend, and that when I marry him we become one. That is obviously very close. Am I wrong to think his thinking is skewed?

• Administrators

Well, he isn't married yet, so he doesn't realize the uniqueness of the relationship between husband and wife. There is nothing wrong with him wanting a guy to be his best friend - but that guy will not be as close to him as his wife, if their marriage is right, no matter what your friend thinks.

My hubby is my best friend (and although I haven't asked him, I believe I am his best friend :icon_biggrin:), but I don't think that's the case with every marriage.

• Moderators

Can't identify, I never had such a thought before I married --- I sure haven't had such a thought since I married. There are things I tell to my wife that I would NEVER confide to anyone else. The only one who knows more about me than my wife is my Lord and Savior!!

My wife is still my best friend after over 30 yrs!

My middle son (#4 child of 5) is getting married this Fri. One day, someone asked my wife if it bothered her that he would rather talk to and spend time with his fiancee than his mother, she replied "he's going to spend the rest of his life with her, I would hope that he'd opt for her company over Mama's!"

• Members

Can't identify, I never had such a thought before I married --- I sure haven't had such a thought since I married. There are things I tell to my wife that I would NEVER confide to anyone else. The only one who knows more about me than my wife is my Lord and Savior!!

My wife is still my best friend after over 30 yrs!

My middle son (#4 child of 5) is getting married this Fri. One day, someone asked my wife if it bothered her that he would rather talk to and spend time with his fiancee than his mother, she replied "he's going to spend the rest of his life with her, I would hope that he'd opt for her company over Mama's!"

Couldn't agree more, same here after 30 years!

• Members

I think the fact he said it like that is the weirdest thing. I feel like in my life I have "different" friends....my husband is my "best friend" but then I also have a "best friend" or two that are girls, and sometimes I can tell the girls stuff I don't end up telling my hub, and of course I tell hub stuff I may not tell the girls.... but I can't ever see myself just out and out saying that no matter who I marry I always want my girl friends to be closer than my husband. Something does seem odd about that, the fact he'd actually state it like that I guess. True though maybe he just has never met the right girl so he can't comprehend loving a girl more than he loves his guy friends. Before I had kids I couldn't imagine loving a human child more than I loved my puppy dogs...seriously! But when it happens, it blows you away. haha.

• Members

I have to tell you kitagrl, your last statement had me cracking up as I happen to love my dog more than most people (adult or child) I come in contact with......

Wait til you have a baby someday. haha.

• Members

News flash, I've had three children. They are all married and we have our 9th grandchild on the way.

I love them all WAY MORE than my dog.

BUT, like I said, I love my dog more than "most" people I come in contact with..........not all of course.......

In any event, your line hit my funny bone........

• Administrators

He said when he got married he wanted a guy friend to be just as close or closer than his wife.

It would creep me out if a guy was as close to me as my wife. lol

BTW: Amblivion, it is good to see you around here again.

• Members

Last night I was having a conservation with one of my really good guy friends, and he said something very interesting. I wanted to know what you all thought about it. He said when he got married he wanted a guy friend to be just as close or closer than his wife. I found this statement to be kind of weird. I have always thought that I want to marry my best friend, and that when I marry him we become one. That is obviously very close. Am I wrong to think his thinking is skewed?

Maybe he was referring to this:

II Samuel 1:26-

I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

[This could have been and at the same time he may also marry still with the same idea. quote='Wilchbla' pid='217366' dateline='1250133592']

Maybe he was referring to this:

II Samuel 1:26-

I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.