• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

IFB Missionaries

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can see your point. I still believe it to be an inappropriate use of Missions money and as a pastor would drop or not take on any missionary who made this part of their practice.

I can see it once in a while, but I think many (not a majority) missionaries are living high on the hog rather than doing what they need to do.

Thanks for the input.

I'm in general agreement with you on this.

Myself, I would want to know details about such and if a truly satisfactory answer couldn't be given for hireing a housekeeper, then I would agree dropping them would be a good idea.

Missionaries should be held accountable for the way they use the monies donated to them. It's a real shame, but I've read of many cases where missionaries are indeed living high on the hog rather than being about the Lord's work. One example I read of dealt with some missionaries in India. They had several household servants, their own driver, the best cars, and they lived in the wealthy section of town in a very expensive home. These missionaries also had a posh office from which they did a very minor amount of work; which mostly amounted to making connections with the local big shots which the missionaries cozied up to by funneling their funds and efforts into their pet projects for the "the poor".

That may be one of the more extreme examples, but similar seems to be far more common than we would have thought.

Meanwhile, there are many sincere missionaries living in dismal conditions doing their best with meager resources because they are not receiving the funding those living high on the hog are.

One thing I liked about the missionaries that visited our church a few weeks ago is that they came right out and told us the next mission they are going on (in September) is already fully, 100% funded for one year. We did take a collection for them, the monies will go into emergency fund which will go into their second year fund if not needed during the next year, but I thought it was very honest and open of them to make sure we knew they had their full funding for the next year already.