• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"Reins", "hearts", "minds" or "emotions"? KJB is right

• Members

WOW!! I was just reading that Psalm on Saturday and was wondering about those two words heart and reigns.......I understand now from what you wrote about "reins", but what is the distinct difference between the "reins" and the "heart"? (I had actually thought about posting this question on OB--I was so stunned to actually see you had beat me to it!)

• Members

what is the distinct difference between the "reins" and the "heart"?

Hi. Good question. I'm not really sure. The Bible seems to equate the heart with our thoughts, and perhaps the reins is the seat of our emotions. Just a thought.

If anybody else has something on this that would be helpful.

Will K

• Members

What is the difference between the "reins" and the "heart"? There appears to be some overlap, but it seems that the "reins" are more restricted to the emotional center of man, while the "heart" is more concerned with the thoughts, though our thoughts can also be accompanied with emotional overtones.

Notice the first mention of heart in the Bible. It is found in Genesis 6:5 "And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Other verses seem to confirm this idea. Genesis 8:21 "the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth."; Genesis 27:41 "...and Esau said in his heart, The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then will I slay my brother Jacob."; Psalms 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." and Mark 7:21 "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders...."

Will K