• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
On 8/18/2020 at 4:36 PM, rstrats said:

SureWord,
re:  "So to answer your question about an author who wrote about these things his name would be Paul of Tarsus."

I don't see where Paul uses the idea of a first day of the week resurrection to justify a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first say of the week, nor uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection. 

re:  "The early believers met together on the first day of the week to commemorate the resurrection of our Lord..."

As I wrote previously, as far as scripture is concerned, there are only two times mentioned with regard to anybody getting together on the first (day) of the week - John 20:19 and Acts 20:7. There is never any mention of them ever again being together on the first. The John reference has them together in a closed room after the crucifixion because they were afraid of their fellow Jews. Nothing is said about a celebration, worship service or day of rest. And it couldn't have been in recognition of the resurrection because at that time they didn't believe that it had taken place. 

The Acts reference has them together because Paul happened to be in town and he apparently wanted to talk to the disciples before he had to leave again. The breaking of bread mentioned (even if it were referring to the Lord’s Supper) had nothing to do with placing a special emphasis on the first (day) because Acts 2:46 says that they broke bread every day.

I need to be more clear about this.

What I'm saying is Paul wrote about the sabbath being done away at the cross. There is nothing being switched from the sabbath or last day of the week to Sunday or the first day of the week because the sabbath was done away with. Period. We meet on Sunday to commemorate our Lord's resurrection but it is not commanded. We can meet any day and really should be gathering together as much as possible (Heb. 10:25) as "the day" gets closer.

So, again, Paul is the author.

Edited by SureWord

• Members
10 hours ago, SureWord said:

So, again, Paul is the author.

Actually, he isn't.  Paul doesn't use the idea of a first day of the week resurrection to justify a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first say of the week, nor uses Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection. 

• Members

Mark is, first of all a VERY published author. You must obey the rules of Bible interpretation. (1) The best commentary on the Bible - is the Bible. (2) In this case is context. 

You will have to read from Mark 16:1-9 to understand this author meant the first day of the week.

Now, the three other refernces provided by John81 (Posted August 10, 2011) Matthew 28:1, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1 are also all published authors. There accounts dovetail the first day of the week narrative from Mark 16. 

Here's one...
H.A. Ironside's Expository Notes on the Gospel of Mark, P.243-244 where Ironside not only references the text of Mark 16:9, but teaches the first day resurrection from it.

Edited by 1Timothy115

• Members
1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Mark is, first of all a VERY published author.

re:  "Mark is, first of all a VERY published author."

I don't see where Mark argues for a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first day of the week due to the idea of a first day of the week resurrection.  That is also the case with Matthew 28:1, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1. 

Also, I don't see where Ironside argues for the change either. 

• Members
20 hours ago, rstrats said:

re:  "Mark is, first of all a VERY published author."

I don't see where Mark argues for a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first day of the week due to the idea of a first day of the week resurrection.  That is also the case with Matthew 28:1, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1. 

Also, I don't see where Ironside argues for the change either. 

Ironside lived it, as do the preponderance of all published commentators I've been familiar with... G. Campbell Morgan, Albert Barnes, Adam Clarke, Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset, and David Brown, and Luke in the book of Acts would seem to bear this out.

Now if you're looking for an answer to the person you originally encountered you have plenty to present from previous person's comments. If they don't care to agree after this why bother with it anyway. [see Romans 14:5-6]

• Members

Rstrats..  Why are you looking for a published author that has said such a thing as for which you have sought after? It seems like you would like to argue with them when you find them. 

It seems to be a tradition of man ( we have many, as baptists) that we hold to a sunday meeting. My church also meets on Wednesday. But reading the Bible it would seem that we should be more frequent, and at one point in time many bible practitioners did. 

We have fallen away from this practice, and kept to one or two days ( as a tradition of man, again ). Sunday seems like a good day of any to worship the Lord in fellowship as that was the day the Lord rose again. 

Whose to say we should keep sabath? 

Not the bible.

Whose to say the day we are required to worship?

Not the Bible.

If sabath was still required, you would think it would be a very big deal to all the doctrine of the early Christians gentiles and jews alike. Yet there is no mention of keeping sabath. This is odd if it was important.

Still, I am curious as to why you search for this things? Is it not folly? 

Edited by Hugh_Flower

• Members

1Timothy115,
re:  "Ironside lived it..."

I don't know what that means. 

re:  "Now if you're looking for an answer to the person you originally encountered..."

I am.

re:  "...you have plenty to present from previous person's comments."

If there is, I haven't seen it.  

re:  "If they don't care to agree after this why bother with it anyway."

So far I haven't seen anything to take back to them.

re:  "[see Romans 14:5-6]"

I don't understand what that has to do with it. The whole chapter is talking about food practices with regard to eating and not eating. 

Edited by rstrats

• Members

Hugh_Flower,
re:  "Why are you looking for a published author..."

See the OP.

re: "It seems like you would like to argue with them when you find them."

No, not for the purpose of this topic. 

re:  " Sunday seems like a good day of any to worship the Lord in fellowship as that was the day the Lord rose again."

And that was the reason for starting this topic. See the OP.  

re:  "Whose to say we should keep sabath?...Whose to say the day we are required to worship?...If sabath was still required, you would think it would be a very big deal to all the doctrine of the early Christians gentiles and jews alike. Yet there is no mention of keeping sabath. This is odd if it was important."

Those are issues for a different topic.  

• Members
10 hours ago, Hugh_Flower said:

I think this is folly 

To what "folly" are you referring? Please be specific. 

9 hours ago, SureWord said:

Yes, he's just looking to argue about his 7th Day Adventist heresies.

To whom are you referring?

• Members
On 2/18/2021 at 7:52 AM, rstrats said:

1Timothy115,
re:  "[see Romans 14:5-6]"

I don't understand what that has to do with it. The whole chapter is talking about food practices with regard to eating and not eating. 

No, it also has to do with what day you worship the Lord. Go ahead and worship Jesus Christ on Saturday if that's your preference. But, I think we could agree we need to worship Jesus Christ daily. This has gone far beyond any value... see 2 Timothy 2:16.

• Members

1 Timothy115,
re:  "No, it also has to do with what day you worship the Lord."

Again, the context of the whole chapter from start to finish has to do with regard to food practices. "Paul is writing about asceticism. Some in the church at Rome believed Christians should eat only vegetables. Paul calls these people 'weak in the faith' (verses 1-2). The stronger in faith know they could also eat meat. Nothing in God’s law prescribes vegetarianism. The stronger in faith knew they were free from non-biblical asceticism. A part of the controversy that had sprung up between the weak and the strong Christians was the esteeming of days. In Rome some people had the pagan idea that on certain days certain foods should or should not be eaten. In this whole chapter Paul was just showing that others should not be offended, particularly weak members who have not yet learned the truth about the proper Christian diet and that they should not be judged by the stronger in the faith."  Nothing is said with regard to the Sabbath or the first day of the week.  

But even if Paul were to mean for the Sabbath and the first day of the week to be included in his chapter, it doesn't show that he was arguing for a change of observance from the seventh day of the week to the first day of the week because of the resurrection and was using Mark 16:9 to support a first day of the week resurrection. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hasting's Encyclopedia of Religion and Ethics.
"We assume, because we have been raised with an anti- Torah bias, that the text must be talking about Sabbath, but that is a pure assumption not required by the text. To say that the verse must mean, that if we are honoring the Sabbath as God commands numerous times and places throughout Scripture (not a gray area), that those who do so are weak in the faith, is an interpretation coming from an anti- Torah bias that has been imposed on the text, but which the text does not require."

A footnote in Calvin'sCommentaries  regarding verses 5-6:  " It has been suggested as a question by some, whether the Christian Sabbath is included here? The very subject in hand proves that it is not."

Expositor's Greek Testament with reagard to verse 5:"It is not probable that there is any reference...to the Jewish Sabbath..."